Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM

30 posts, read 34,043 times

Advertisements

Serious question. I created a thread where I simply said I am attractive and people jumped all over me. Do people assume you think you're better than them for saying your an attractive person? I just never understood the negative comments that follow when someone states this. It's ok to describe yourself as intelligent, funny, ambitious, whatever, but as soon as someone says they are attractive all hell breaks loose. I get that beauty is subjective , but i think that if a majority of people agree that you are good looking, it's pretty safe to say it's true. I don't get why it's ok for others to acknowledge but your supposed to pretend that you don't know. Even when someone compliments you, your supposed to act like no one else has ever mentioned it and play it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,383,602 times
Because oftentimes it's a superfluous and irrelevant detail. Used in the context it is often used in even "funny" or other positive adjectives to describe one's personality would also be unnecessary.

I know I'm attractive, but I don't need to disclose such when it isn't relevant to the matter at hand. However, I do make it a point to state that I'm awesome because it's something that should be known and shared regularly... because I'm awesome. [note the sarcasm]

Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Because oftentimes it's a superfluous and irrelevant detail. Used in the context it is often used in even "funny" or other positive adjectives to describe one's personality would also be unnecessary.

I know I'm attractive, but I don't need to disclose such when it isn't relevant to the matter at hand. However, I do make it a point to state that I'm awesome because it's something that should be known and shared regularly... because I'm awesome. [note the sarcasm]
I get that. I don't go around stating i'm attractive. But on an online forum where no one can see what you look like...i don't get why people make such a big deal about it. This is a dating forum and people are going to ask if you are attractive or not because that is an important factor people look for in a partner...as well as personality yada yada.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,458,058 times
I guess you just need to post a picture then.

Kidding lol

Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM

52,373 posts, read 52,836,239 times
Saying you are attractive is fine in context of a convo. I think saying the word "attractive" isn't bad, it's somewhat humble sounding as opposed to saying your hot or some other word like that.

Those kinds of things turn people off because they sound arrogant.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,939,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I guess you just need to post a picture then.

Kidding lol
No he isn't. Lol

Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Saying you are attractive is fine in context of a convo. I think saying the word "attractive" isn't bad, it's somewhat humble sounding as opposed to saying your hot or some other word like that.

Those kinds of things turn people off because they sound arrogant.
But why? What if the person is really hot? What people always describe her that way, she dresses that way, she acts that way? I don't understand why she should be called arrogant for being called hot? I'm not saying that I am hot but I know plenty of girls who I would describe that way...Megan Fox...she's hot...is it wrong if she describes herself that way?

Plenty of smart people say they are intelligent...I'm not the least bit offended...nor do I say they are arrogant.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,026,521 times
Some people could take it as a sign of arrogance. I think it's probably better to not outright say that you're attractive, but you know that you are, and have the confidence to not have to say it.

But I'll turn your post around. If a bunch of women tell me that I'm ugly, go into detail about how I'm ugly, and should go to some lengths to remove myself from there sight including but not limited to killing myself, should I believe that I am an ugly person?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,252,709 times
Just the fact that you think you are attractive makes you un-attractive. The most attractive people Ive ever known didnt have a clue they looked good. If just never occurred to them to be so vain.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,939,325 times
Say your,"Dead sexy!"

Fat b*sterd how did you get in here? O_o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships