Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,220,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Cannot afford it on my own. I will start looking for a roommate though.
Ok, that's understandable but SCREEN your chosen roommate carefully!! In my younger years I had some roomies from hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM

143 posts, read 266,238 times
I understand dogs in packs are tougher... but it's three chihuahuas. That cat should be whipping them into shape fairly easily.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,966,891 times
Quote:
It looks like I'm going to have to move out of my boyfriends house, I see no other way-- our pets are totally incompatible with each other and my 10 year old cat is miserable. I feel so guilty putting her through this. His three chihuahuas won't stop chasing her. She won't get off the table or countertops. He won't discipline them beyond yelling so they keep doing what they're doing, and I've become very resentful of them. I'm not a dog person to begin with but I had hopes that after a while, they would at least tolerate each other. It's been this way since Thanksgiving. We've tried positive reinforcement with treats, to no avail. Their pack mentality takes over when one of them decides to chase Punkin, and the other two join in on the chase.

Giving up Punkin isn't an option for me, and giving up his dogs aren't an option for him. I see no other option than to move out, and I'm destroyed inside.
so the pets are destoying your relationship?

If something so simple will force you to move out, you are doing both of you a favor and leaving. This isn't even a real relationship problem, and yet you allow it to make you move out. You probably aren't into him very much if this is enough to move out over.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,692,343 times
Which part are you heartbroken over?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,178,329 times
One cat swipe each and the chihuahuas will learn not to mess with it. If your BF cares for the health/safety of his dogs, he should teach them not to mess with kitty. It's all fun and games until a chihuahua loses an eye.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,778,933 times
Quote:
It looks like I'm going to have to move out of my boyfriends house, I see no other way-- our pets are totally incompatible with each other and my 10 year old cat is miserable. I feel so guilty putting her through this. His three chihuahuas won't stop chasing her. She won't get off the table or countertops. He won't discipline them beyond yelling so they keep doing what they're doing, and I've become very resentful of them. I'm not a dog person to begin with but I had hopes that after a while, they would at least tolerate each other. It's been this way since Thanksgiving. We've tried positive reinforcement with treats, to no avail. Their pack mentality takes over when one of them decides to chase Punkin, and the other two join in on the chase.

Giving up Punkin isn't an option for me, and giving up his dogs aren't an option for him. I see no other option than to move out, and I'm destroyed inside.
I could really truly respond with something like a book including 12 chapters based only on your original post. However, I'll just summarize it all by stating.......this is why women get into their mid 40's wake up freak out and wonder why they are STILL all alone and single.

Petty mam, where there is a will, there is a way. They are animals, you're smarter then them. Find a solution! If you love this guy, you're making a mistake!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,078,890 times
IMHO, you should be worried about this...

Quote:
He won't discipline them beyond yelling so they keep doing what they're doing
more than anything else. For many reasons. The main one being....so, because his dogs don't do what he tells them, he yells? Imagine him with disobedient children. Yikes. My XH was like that, I got so sick of him yelling at the dogs that I forbid him to talk to them, at all in my presence. Made me really see his true character.

If you can't split the animals and moving out is your only solution, well, it is what it is. You both have pets and they should come first. And since they do, then that means you stay together until the cat or 3 dogs pass, then move in together.....find a solution at home.....or go your separate ways.

IMHO, the way he handled the dogs.....I'd walk.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,001,488 times
This is one reason I don't have pets.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,744,289 times
Call the Jackson Galaxy guy from "My Cat from Hell"?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,692,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Call the Jackson Galaxy guy from "My Cat from Hell"?
Or Cesar Milan. Love them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships