Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,535,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I'm broke, and I find other ways to work around my situation- keeping things simple, not going for over-the-top elaborate..

Enjoy each others company- doesn't take much dinero just to hang out and have FUN!

Um, easy for you to say. Brokeness is often a dealbreaker for women and rarely so for men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Probably the main reason why I have never been in a relationship is due to the fact that I'm always broke. How do other people who have little or no money go out and date and even get married?
I think it's harder.. not because the women care so much but more because it's so hard.

When I was flat broke, I didn't ask out any girls because I couldn't afford even a cheap date. Also, you have to spend money when you're dating .. whether or not the women here agree. That's just how it goes.

I think your best bet is to date a girl who is understanding of your situation or in the same situation as you. You could also stay single for a bit and try to get yourself out of the rutt.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,797,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think it's harder.. not because the women care so much but more because it's so hard.

When I was flat broke, I didn't ask out any girls because I couldn't afford even a cheap date. Also, you have to spend money when you're dating .. whether or not the women here agree. That's just how it goes.

I think your best bet is to date a girl who is understanding of your situation or in the same situation as you. You could also stay single for a bit and try to get yourself out of the rutt.
Why is this not the most obvious choice for most people?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,602,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Probably the main reason why I have never been in a relationship is due to the fact that I'm always broke.
I doubt that.

I think the main reason is because you're inside your head way too much and can't get out of your own way. Stop being so mental.

If you're always broke, seems like it makes sense to put a high priority on making changes in your life (both lifestyle and professional) to eventually get to a point where you're no longer broke. That would be one monkey off your back. I imagine it's easier to just sit on your butt all day and groan, but that's not going to get problems solved. Get some initiative.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,058,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Ask a few women how much they spend when they are dating and you might be surprised -- in keeping their hands manicured, their hair frequently cut and tended to, purchasing new clothes, shoe, etc. It can be very costly.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM

31,190 posts, read 22,217,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Ask a few women how much they spend when they are dating and you might be surprised -- in keeping their hands manicured, their hair frequently cut and tended to, purchasing new clothes, shoe, etc. It can be very costly.
This is lost on many people. The last date I went on, a couple of weeks ago, I just took a quick shower, put on a pair of blue work slacks and a fresh shirt. Prep time was 20 minutes, money spent was $1.25 for a pressed shirt, probably a $4 in gas and just over $150 for dinner, and $5 tip for the Valet.

The woman told me she just got her hair styled and colored the day before (Maybe $100? I'm guessing). Her outfit looked new and her nails looked freshly done (Maybe $30 for nails?). She may have bought the outfit for our date (Don't know for sure). I'm sure she took longer than 20 minutes getting ready( I'll say an hour but the women on CD probably have a better idea?).

Sounds pretty equitable to me

Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,478,726 times
Being broke is never the issue, lack of ambition is.

Let's face it here. Ambitious people will not be "broke" they will be driven to better themselves and live the lives they see fit.

This comes down to ambition not money....unless you want to get into the whole gold digger situation which isn't about love or finding a good mate, it's about making a good business partner

Last edited by rego00123; 02-20-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
This is lost on many people. The last date I went on, a couple of weeks ago I just took a quick shower, put on a pair of blue work slacks and a fresh shirt. Prep time was 20 minutes, money spent was $1.25 for a pressed shirt, probably a $4 in gas and just over $150 for dinner, and $5 tip for the Valet.

The woman told me she just got her hair styled and colored the day before (Maybe $100? I'm guessing). Her outfit looked new and her nails looked freshly done (Maybe $30 for nails?). She may have bought the outfit for our date (Don't know for sure). I'm sure she took longer than 20 minutes getting ready( I'll say an hour but the women on CD probably have a better idea?).

Sounds pretty equitable to me
Not me, if you want to make a list like that.. how about you add up the Whey Protein, Creatine, nice clothes that I have to buy etc etc.

No, women can not play that game because guys also have to keep themselves up. No woman can act like they have it hard in dating, because it is simple for them.

I had a nice date last night, was a lot of fun and she was hot. However, she didn't pay a dime and I didn't expect her to. That's just how it goes.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM

31,190 posts, read 22,217,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We were both pretty broke. He was unemployed when we started dating, although he found one after a few weeks. I was a student and worked a couple part-time jobs. I think a big benefit of youth is not caring so much about money.
Thats very understandable at that age, but can you pull that off at 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Being broke is never the issue, lack of ambition is.

Let's face it here. Ambitious people will not be "broke" they will be driven to better themselves and live the lives they see fit.

This comes down to ambition not money....unless you want to get into the whole gold digger situation which isn't about love or finding a good mate, it's about making a good business partner
Rep.
Good point. People like to play the devils advocate but overwhemingly, like you pointed out "Ambitious people will not be "broke"".

Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Thats very understandable at that age, but can you pull that off at 40?
Right, but for someone to be broke at the age of 40... means they probably made a lot of bad decisions throughout their life. If I was 40, I wouldn't want to date a woman who was flat broke.

When you're young is the time to be poor and work your way up the ladder in whatever you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships