Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Honestly? That while they may not be materialistic, which I admire, they don't have the problem solving skill or drive to achieve a more comfortable lifestyle.

What would a person with problem solving skill do to achieve a more comfortable lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,203,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What would a person with problem solving skill do to achieve a more comfortable lifestyle?

I wonder why you are asking me? This stuff is not hard to understand. Just not always worth more medium term effort to put in. You have to allow for a a subsistence living in the now in order to take steps to improve the future by seeking out educational and professional services from the state and source of that ilk.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In the real world someone who is older and more established could have just come out of a very costly, nasty divorce and is still trying to gain back what they lost.
Hence the reason it appears they are lacking in some area of employment or ambition.
What one sees on the outside is not exactly what one would see if they looked inside and stuck around long enough to find out the specific details instead of making a judgement that is monetarily induced.

A lot of the women who post on this forum would have run screaming from my husband if they had met him when I did simply because of the financial situation he was in at that time.
I stuck around though because he is a good man, has a good heart, is the most loving, giving honest man I have known and I am blessed to be married to him.
Everyone has their own situation, but I'm pretty sure that if a guy was smart and well established yet hurting financially from a divorce that he probably wouldn't be looking to date.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I wonder why you are asking me? This stuff is not hard to understand. Just not always worth more medium term effort to put in. You have to allow for a a subsistence living in the now in order to take steps to improve the future by seeking out educational and professional services from the state and source of that ilk.

Hmmm, I've sought out said resources but don't qualify. I guess that makes me unambitious.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, I've sought out said resources but don't qualify. I guess that makes me unambitious.
See, freemkt, no one can really say what you have or have not done. Whether it is "enough" or if there are still options out there for you. Whether you could live more frugally to afford community college. Whether you spend "too much" on internet that you could spend on more long term benefits. No one really knows but you. But I CAN say that if I were free to date, I would not date you. You always have some ready excuse for why you HAVE to suck. How sucking is not your fault. I never used the word ambition. I used the word drive. You have already written off ALL of your options as one and done. THAT is lacking in drive. Drive continues to pick up stones to see what is underneath.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
They would solve the problem of not having a comfortable lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Being broke is never the issue, lack of ambition is.

Let's face it here. Ambitious people will not be "broke" they will be driven to better themselves and live the lives they see fit.

There are exceptions to this of course. I've met (and am often attracted to) artistic types that have ambition, and even considerable success in their craft, and the reality is it doesn't pay much. Not compared to costs of living in places I've lived (Boston, SF, etc). Still, they pursue their passions and love their work, and well... that is hot.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They would solve the problem of not having a comfortable lifestyle.

There are exceptions to this of course. I've met (and am often attracted to) artistic types that have ambition, and even considerable success in their craft, and the reality is it doesn't pay much. Not compared to costs of living in places I've lived (Boston, SF, etc). Still, they pursue their passions and love their work, and well... that is hot.
Love it.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
See, freemkt, no one can really say what you have or have not done. Whether it is "enough" or if there are still options out there for you. Whether you could live more frugally to afford community college. Whether you spend "too much" on internet that you could spend on more long term benefits. No one really knows but you. But I CAN say that if I were free to date, I would not date you. You always have some ready excuse for why you HAVE to suck. How sucking is not your fault. I never used the word ambition. I used the word drive. You have already written off ALL of your options as one and done. THAT is lacking in drive. Drive continues to pick up stones to see what is underneath.

I think my income sucks but I personally do not suck but people are judged superficially on factors such as income. I've been working hard on a longterm project with a payoff down the road - like a book written by a newbie, there is no financial return until it is 100% complete.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I think my income sucks but I personally do not suck but people are judged superficially on factors such as income.
I am half tempted to write a little database to track CD user names and their list of excuses. Anecdote after anecdote to the contrary, yet you will not believe. You would rather wallow in the Not My Fault drama.

Quote:
I've been working hard on a longterm project with a payoff down the road - like a book written by a newbie, there is no financial return until it is 100% complete.
You are working hard on a long term project ... like a book? Not specifically a book? What form does this hard work take? Do you have any reason to expect that your writing will be particularly appealing? How do you plan on overcoming the difficulty new authors have with breaking into the establishment?

See I don't actually want an answer to any of those. I only want to point out that you look like you are looking for an easy, magic bullet. A one hit wonder novel is no more likely than hitting Megabucks.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Quote:
Honestly? That while they may not be materialistic, which I admire, they don't have the problem solving skill or drive to achieve a more comfortable lifestyle.

That is a load of hooey, unless you know without doubt about someone else's financial situation you have no idea what problem solving skills or drive they may have.
Have you yet to figure out that not everyone feels the need to boast about their wealth?
Some of those who appear to you to be broke all the time have more money and own more land than most could ever dream about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships