Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well I mean dominant/taking the lead/etc.

Every relationship has the leader and the follower (the roles can switch of course depending on the circumstance).

When ever I have gone out with someone who doesn't have around the same amount of disclosable income I have, and they want to do the planning and the paying, one of two things happens:
1. They are weirded out because they don't think the stuff they can afford is at my level
2. They get really caught up in some sort of idea that the only stuff I want/like/use is stuff that is "nice (i.e out of their budget)

Separately if there is too big of a class gap, I find there can be some insecurities about the differing upbringings. There are definitely way more hurdles.

My experience is similiar to yours.
Men alwasy say women are after money,but when I tried to date men who make less than me,THEY ran the other way because of income issues.
One guy thought I didn't want him and he always told me that he thought I was looking for a Doctor,so any relationship wouldn't work.

I also notice I have to worry about men trying to take advantage of me because of my income. Yes,they are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM

13,681 posts, read 9,768,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
And the main focus is continually on 'income inequality'. Constantly referring to the income levels / inequality.

...It is not just about 'income' per se - but the type of socio-economic background ...
You're right. We live in a politically-correct society. "Income inequality" is a euphemism for socioeconomic class. It's true that some people born into privilege will abuse their birthright and through sloth or debauchery will degenerate into comparative poverty, while some others, born essentially with nothing, will succeed and will rise through vigorous personal effort. But overall one supposes that there is a strong correlation between parents' status and offspring's status.

What the cited articles are stating is that class boundaries are becoming more rigid, not less. In earlier times, patrician sons would marry plebeian daughters on occasion. Such occasions are increasing rare. A modern Darcy would not marry a modern Elizabeth. Setting aside the Regency novels, the practical upshot is that up and coming Joe Sixpack, who got the grades and scored the job and fed his 401K and got promoted to Partner, really can't parlay his material success into dating success. So all of the younger fellows on this Forum who are hoping to compensate for social awkwardness by means of professional success, will be rudely disabused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
A woman like that who has no real earned income (as well as not having the ambition or drive to even work) and is use to a higher standard of living despite that is going to systematically bleed whatever guy she is with dry with her sense of entitlement....
This is possible, but presumably social conventions would steer her towards seeking a mate from a family comparable to daddy's family. It is unlikely that she'll be attracted to a careerist-type of fellow who rose from nothing to a level of affluence.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,966,891 times
I kind of wonder if unions in America played a part in the whole dynamic.

Back in 70's and 80's when economy was better, guys could make 100K a year on little to no education jobs through union type labor or through lots of overtime.

So many jobs left the USA for cheaper outsourcing, and there arent as many unions. Becuae of this, the $100K/year is mostly attained through a lot of education and proving your worth. There are very few easy jobs out there any more. And they sure are not easy to attain.

I think all this does make dating and relationships more difficult. Less income makes for lower quality of life. Lower quality of life means guys are not as desirable, as the idea of dating guys and having a family with a guy who works 60 hours a week for 50K a year just doesnt cut it anymore.
Then cost of living increases, health care dynamics, and the future social security potential fall out for the younger generation means that both men and women must provide for themself much more and with much higher value and they must achieve much more then yesteryears just to finally make it big and live large.

There will always be people that fall in love and never use money as the driving force. Buuuuuuut, a lot of people out there don't want to spend the rest of their life with a buster either.

For the most part, the late teenage and early 20's years are even more important than they ever were. Better get on that fast track to success, cause if you aren't taking strides to be successful early, your competition WILL pass you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships