Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM

746 posts, read 867,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is why at age 18, you need to deal with your issues before it's too late.
I know and alot of people are telling me to not even care about getting a girlfriend. If I strictly focus on school and work it'll put me in social isolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And by issues, I hope you mean his psychological/emotional ones--not the fact that he can't "get girls"!
Actually I need to work on BOTH of those problens. Even doctors think something's wrong cause I've never had a girlfriend. So it is looked at as a problem by doctors. You people who are saying its normal are just sugar coating or you're just ignorant. When you tell someone oh it's ok you've never been with a woman you're just enforcing the idea that they don't need to work on it. If you were in that situation you would feel bad about it too!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:42 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,929,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I know and alot of people are telling me to not even care about getting a girlfriend. If I strictly focus on school and work it'll put me in social isolation.
Yes I would not worry about it as such a young age. Most people of your age group (even 20s) are not yet having "serious" relationships. It's all about school and career training then. You won't get nothing at all if you end up a loser working for minimum wage.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Yes I would not worry about it as such a young age. Most people of your age group (even 20s) are not yet having "serious" relationships. It's all about school and career training then. You won't get nothing at all if you end up a loser working for minimum wage.
Then why are you upset about being a 30 year old virgin?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:56 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,410,744 times
I still wonder if I should just wait until I get settled before diving into a long term relationship. Finish school, get a stable good paying job, and then focus on dating.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
I don't understand this either/or mindset. "Focus on dating"? Come ON. It's not a science project.

Here's how it works for normal people.

1. Have friends.
2. Make more friends by socializing with your existing friends and their friends.
3. Widen your social circle continuously throughout your life so that you maintain a diversity of friends and acquaintances.
4. Find yourself socially drawn to one of the people in this circle.
5. Recognize that this person is drawn to you as well.
6. Get to know person better in one on one situations.
7. Find yourselves having much in common, enjoying each others' company and feeling mutual attraction.
8. You're in a relationship.

This can happen whether you are rich/poor, in college/out of college, working/unemployed, living in a small town/big city.

If you have time for friends, you have time for love.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I still wonder if I should just wait until I get settled before diving into a long term relationship. Finish school, get a stable good paying job, and then focus on dating.
I think it'll be harder cause most women will probably be taken, also you probably won't be around many women.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't understand this either/or mindset. "Focus on dating"? Come ON. It's not a science project.

Here's how it works for normal people.

1. Have friends.
2. Make more friends by socializing with your existing friends and their friends.
3. Widen your social circle continuously throughout your life so that you maintain a diversity of friends and acquaintances.
4. Find yourself socially drawn to one of the people in this circle.
5. Recognize that this person is drawn to you as well.
6. Get to know person better in one on one situations.
7. Find yourselves having much in common, enjoying each others' company and feeling mutual attraction.
8. You're in a relationship.

This can happen whether you are rich/poor, in college/out of college, working/unemployed, living in a small town/big city.

If you have time for friends, you have time for love.
That sounds amazing. But I don't know how to make a lot of friends either, my town is corrupted geez. I need a new start somewhere else, but I'll still probably need friend making skills. Unless someone just starts talking to me, that's awesome cause it takes work off of me and its really awesome when they don't stop talking to me after a day or so. When they talk to me regularly I know they're a REAL friend.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:15 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,410,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I think it'll be harder cause most women will probably be taken, also you probably won't be around many women.
True, but a lot are also not taken.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
True, but a lot are also not taken.
This one girl who used to be a (female dog) changed that about her and even felt bad that people were mean to me. I said don't you hate me, she said no she just thought I was annoying a lot. Fast forward some when I'm at the new school and she transfers over there. I end up telling her that I might have Aspergers (I say might because not all doctors thought I had it and I don't know if its true since a different doctors have changed my diagnostic.). I explained it makes me act awkward sometimes cause I don't always know how to act in social situations. She feels terrible and says she's so so sorry for being mean to me in the past, I forgave her. Fast forward a little and she told me I'm pretty cool when I'm normal. Thing was I wasn't actually trying to be normal. Btw all the conversations I mentioned were on Facebook. It's like sometimes when I act normal I feel funny and I have no idea why! Normal shouldn't feel weird! Being normal without trying is so cool. So I obviously have the ability to be normal and act appropriate in social situations inside of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships