Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM

246 posts, read 388,433 times

Advertisements

His rambling message makes him sound like an air-head, or a high school kid. How old is he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 3,611 times
He's 23

Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,227,897 times
A lot of people, myself included, have said and heard things like, "I can't imagine my life without you in it," after a long relationship ends. In most cases, any continued contact is because people miss the emotional bond they had with someone, and miss having someone who knows them well, whom they know well, too. They miss having someone they don't have to explain things to from scratch, who knows their family, knows the things they've been through in life, knows their flaws and loves them anyway. They miss the company, and having a companion to do things with. In short, they miss the "friend" part of "boyfriend" or "girlfriend."

But your ex? Well, he's behaving like a narcissist who has lost his audience and is none too happy about it. I can tell by his nasty reaction to your taking him off your FB. Now that he doesn't have anyone there to listen to him talk about his day, his job, his life, etc., he's going to "love bomb" you and pay you all kinds of homage in order to try to get you to fill that role again, even if it means feigning interest in your day, your job, your life, etc.

Thing is, you can be assured that when he finds someone else to listen to him and be his audience (and he's probably out there actively looking for his next victim), he will disappear from your world. That's how narcissism works, and I oughta know, because my most recent ex has a huge streak of it.

Do yourself a favor, and cut contact with him. He broke up with you. He is no longer entitled to the details of your life. But also, it's pretty dang egotistical of him to think that you'd find his life so interesting as to want to know the details of it after he broke up with you.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 3,611 times
Thank you lilac110! Many have told me just to be friends but I think it is a bad idea

Old 06-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWJ View Post
Thank you lilac110! Many have told me just to be friends but I think it is a bad idea

You're welcome!

Hey, if you think it's a bad idea, that's all you need to know. You don't owe anyone any explanations or justification. If your friends or family ask, just tell them that interacting with him doesn't make you happy. People who love you and care about your well-being will understand and be supportive.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2014, 02:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,359,574 times
Quote:

Block all his ability to contact you through social media, ignore any texts, calls or emails you may receive before you get things blocked, move on.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:17 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,861,511 times
Quote:
You would be right. Cutting all contact is the best.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:35 PM

246 posts, read 388,433 times
He's immature and mean spirited (based on his response on cutting him off from FB). It's a case of dumper's remorse. He jumped overboard, now you should cut the lifeline.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM

By the way, don't be surprised if he gets involved with someone new very quickly and makes a big public show of it, especially if you don't cater to his need for attention. That's what my ex is doing. (And it's funny because most of his girlfriends were pretty to gorgeous--the one before me was exquisite--and this one is short, dumpy, low-rent Queens. I'm actually disappointed in him.) He may even want to tell you alllll about the new person, you know, because you're "friends" now. Take such displays for what they are worth: An attempt to salvage his pride and bolster his ego.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,947,354 times
OP: If you were my daughter, I'd say dump him. I agree. There is something kind of weird there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships