Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM

240 posts, read 241,337 times

Advertisements

Here's a highlight reel of R4T's posts on this thread:

That's just you looking after your needs, as well you should. (He's certainly looking after his, without a care to how it affects you, isn't he?)

2) Leave, to find a guy who doesn't make phony excuses about why he doesn't want to get married.

OP, time to stop dithering, and make a decision already.

You were deceived, and you're just now finding out the truth. (OP was not deceived, for R4T to assume the OP's partner hid his checkered family history from her, FOR 7 YEARS, is beyond ridiculous)

Good point. That's not love. OP should ask him if he loves her. Because it doesn't seem that he does. She's been living an illusion all these years. (Again off in speculation LaLa land. There is absolutely no basis for this comment)

There must be something in the water in Glasgow.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's pretty hard to map out a future with someone when they misrepresent their position, and withhold crucial info from you. But...whatever.
Again, something you have absolutely no idea actually occurred.

It's the man's fault so project, project, project.

Do you honestly think, Ruth, that after 7 years of dating/cohabiting that OP had no idea of her partner's family history?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM

102,390 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
why buy the cow when you get the milk for free
This is why some cows tend to wander over to other pastures.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
Again, something you have absolutely no idea actually occurred.
Actually, the OP included that info in a later post. Here's one example that indicates he was leading her on:

We did talk about it a few times, and each time it did my boyfriend would say he wanted to get married, but the question* never came.
(re: the earlier part of their relationship)

*meaning: the marriage proposal

Old 06-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, the OP included that info in a later post. Here's one example that indicates he was leading her on:

We did talk about it a few times, and each time it did my boyfriend would say he wanted to get married, but the question* never came.
(re: the earlier part of their relationship)

*meaning: the marriage proposal
Again, he's "leading her on" a logical leap you make without basis.

He has NOT said he doesn't want to get married. He said he's not ready, RIGHT NOW.

Why do you need to demonize men?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:

He has NOT said he doesn't want to get married. He said he's not ready, RIGHT NOW.

*yawn*

OP: We talked about marriage then but both agreed it was not a priority and we should get settled into our careers first.

We did talk about it a few times, and each time it did my boyfriend would say he wanted to get married

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-02-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:

2) Leave, to find a guy who doesn't make phony excuses about why he doesn't want to get married.
Yes, and what was option #1? "Stay".

OP indeed needs to stop dithering about why he doesn't want to get married, and decide to either stay or go. What's wrong with that? It's either worth it to her to stay with what she considers to be a great guy with abandonment issues, or it's not. She needs to make that decision.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,932,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A and D only. I didn't buy her a diamond ring until our 20th anniversary (which was 11 years ago)
I don't know her, but your wife seems really cool! Congrats to you... to y'all. Lucky man!

Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,749,959 times
Quote:

Why do men insist on getting involved in serious long term relationships with women and then pretend to play dumb about what their woman needs and wants from them?

I've heard the old, "I never said I didn't want to get married; I just don't want to get married now" (translation: "I don't give a s**t that you've spent seven years of your life with me, I'll marry you when I'm good and d**mn ready.")

Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,254,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
But this is the first sign that they have differences. Let's examine what the OP actually said:

According to the info we have here, this has not been a problem for 7 years. The one who has changed is OP (and she's totally justified to change any time she wants). It is not reasonable to expect the other person to make a 180* change in life plan without some time to come around.

All I am saying (and saying and saying) is that if OP has changed, then talk to BF about it (she has), give him some time to process it. Help him to undertand her POV and make damn sure she understands his POV. THEN, and only then, they can decide the best steps for them as individuals and as a couple.

If you read what is going on here, people are suggesting to leave if she does not get her way. Not to stay and work on it.

Things change over time, and naturally they take time to fix. The land of instant gratification would be nice, but it rarely exists...
If she wants marriage and he does not, then yes, she should leave.

Again, they've been together 7 years. The original reason for putting marriage on the backburner--that of establishing their careers--is no longer valid. Now he comes up with another reason. It does seem to me like he is making up excuses.

There is nothing for her to work on. He knows she wants marriage, and knew from the start that she would after they established their careers. In her shoes, I would give him a couple of months to think about it, and if he does not decide he wants the same thing, I would leave.

At any rate, he's 32 years old. If he hasn't asked her to marry him by now, he's probably not going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships