Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times

Advertisements

I think a coffee date is great for a first date or a first meet if you are doing online dating.
As Tabula Rose said in her post above all those things apply.
If you choose a book shop that has coffee even better because they have limited food choices so you could get a snack as well if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
I honestly could care less where we go.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I've heard some people argue that coffee dates are cheap and many women will refuse them as they see it as someone not as interested or committed in the person.

I think coffee dates are excellent for first time offline meetings as they are low-key, inexpensive of course and also can be quick. In online dating, I consider the first offline date more of a screening than a real date which for me is date #2.
I think there's a difference between a first meet and a first date. First meets are short and cheap, and to get an idea of chemistry and see if you both want to go on a date. I think coffee is a good first meet idea.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
They're fine for a weekend first meet... other than that? No. Lets just get a drink. I'm not drinking coffee at night (or after noon) so when that is suggested its always awkward. I can go and get a juice or something, but I always get questioned about it (you don't like coffee?!?!)... blah.

Also, I don't want to get up in the middle of a date to go poop.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:07 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,591 times
Quote:
I've heard some people argue that coffee dates are cheap and many women will refuse them as they see it as someone not as interested or committed in the person.

I think coffee dates are excellent for first time offline meetings as they are low-key, inexpensive of course and also can be quick. In online dating, I consider the first offline date more of a screening than a real date which for me is date #2.
I think meeting someone for coffee is fine for a first date, but I wonder about some of your reasoning.

In particular, I wonder what you mean by "and also can be quick." Do you mean that of you meet someone and don't like the looks of them, you can bring the meeting to an abrupt halt? That's not really fair. You don't have to commit to a lifetime with someone on your first date, but you should at least commit to an evening with them. Treat it like a real first date, not like a "screening."

Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not drinking coffee at night (or after noon) so when that is suggested its always awkward.
Neither does my husband. I assume he got decaf on our first date (possibly tea, not sure). He only drinks coffee in the a.m.

He just reminded me that, yes, he got decaf, and that actually, HE was the one who suggested the coffee date. Guess it wasn't awkward for him.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Decaf coffee is like non alcoholic beer, there is just no damn point.

I'll do coffee dates, but few people want to meet socially at 7am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Treat it like a real first date, not like a "screening."

If it is from OLD, that's what a first "date" is... a screening to see if you want to go on a date with the person.

Especially now that summer is here I don't understand why people just don't meet up for a pint... but hey, I want to know if the potential date is a "gluten free" extremist (no thank you) or whatever.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:41 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I honestly could care less where we go.
My type of date!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

"Not interested or committed in the person"??! How can you be committed to someone you don't know? The purpose of the coffee date is to see if both parties are interested in exploring further.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,377 times
"coffee" is an excuse and wimps way out in my humble opinion. If you have corresponded enough to know there is enough interest to meet in person, then do something a little more then just having coffee. Take her to dinner, get some wine down her and see what kind of person she really is. Coffee on a Tuesday afternoon and 2:12pm in the afternoon is not going to show you that. Lots of times dates over "coffee", versus dinner and wine, end up being one and done because both people are more reserved and do not open up the same as they would for an evening date, over dinner with a drink or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships