Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:12 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times

Advertisements

Seeing a lot of threads about guys wanting girls to pay, but I'm curious about the guy not offering to pay. If you're dating a guy who makes just as much if not more than you, but every time you go out to dinner or lunch, he always has it split, does this say that he doesn't intend to be your bf? I don't mind splitting, but if he does it every time, I'm going to think he doesn't see long term potential. Maybe it depends on the person. I have had platonic guy friends who didn't want anything sexual from me not mind paying.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Seeing a lot of threads about guys wanting girls to pay, but I'm curious about the guy not offering to pay. If you're dating a guy who makes just as much if not more than you, but every time you go out to dinner or lunch, he always has it split, does this say that he doesn't intend to be your bf? I don't mind splitting, but if he does it every time, I'm going to think he doesn't see long term potential. Maybe it depends on the person. I have had platonic guy friends who didn't want anything sexual from me not mind paying.
I think it depends a little bit on the guy and his upbringing.

But I haven't ever dated anyone who didn't sincerely want to pay in some cases.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Probably just a test to see if the woman he is dealing with is selfish.

If you have any amount of interest in the guy....you would be smart to AT A MINIMUM.....reach for your purse when the bill comes.

This is 2014. Women are making more money than ever before. Men are no longer REQUIRED to pay for dates.

If you fail to reach for that purse when the check comes...do not be surprised if the guy either....

-never calls you back or
-puts you in the "sex only" category

Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
It's awkward in my 20's it screamed disinterested.In my 30's it screams broke or cheap. But now that I have a son I don't want some chick living off my son. So yes women should offer and when it's more dates treat him too.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 PM

675 posts, read 544,087 times
friend zone and dirt bag.

pass.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's awkward in my 20's it screamed disinterested.In my 30's it screams broke or cheap. But now that I have a son I don't want some chick living off my son. So yes women should offer and when it's more dates treat him too.

Amazing how things change when you look at it from a man's perspective.

Some women will never get what they want simply because they are too self centered to look at things from a different perspective.

I had 2 women in my life pay for a 1st date. I pulled out my debit card...but they fought me until I gave in.

Nothing serious ever developed from these two....but I respected them so much more because they valued my company enough to pay for a $30 meal.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Maybe he is just a natural born tightwad, you will have to break it down to him at some point.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
I've never had this happen to me (a guy insisting we always split). The guys almost always insist on paying. I have had a few first dates where we go dutch and one first date where I paid the whole bill. All of those times there never was a second date. With the dates men paid for, I was almost always called for a second date. From this, I get the impression if a man wants a second date, he tries his best to pay. If he doesn't want to see me again, he cuts his losses by splitting the tab and going. But no man ever insisted I pay... and I always offer to split. It's if the man agrees to splitting or not.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times
Honestly? If he never offers, I'll consider him "just an acquaintance." Someone I don't bother to dress up for. Someone to go to catch a cheap movie and have a burger with, then ciao till another day for a cheap movie and a burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,111 times
Any smart woman dating today would offer to go dutch when the bill arrives, unless she likes taking money from complete strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships