Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:36 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I've been on and off with this coworker of mine. Things were cool. I saw her after work and she wanted to have dinner. She follows me and we get to the place.

One thing I notice about her is that she always has a drink or two with her meal. So we were talking about an account that I was helping her team with, being the technical operations point of contact for it, and she was talking. I interjected a few times with "yeah" to her. Just something subconscious.

She got upset "Stop saying yeah, it's like you are not listening". I gave her a bit of a smart ass answer and said that we work at the same company and we are talking about the same subject and account. I'm not ignoring you.

Her "You can just go home". "You're not my boyfriend".

This has been one of my issues with her for a while. She comes off as needy/whiny/emotional. She is REALLY into me unfortunately, but I cannot deal with her headcase issues and how she acts. It brings a side of anger that I don't like to show to people.

She has commented on the "yeah" thing before several months ago and that's my way of listening. Just saying guys don't waste your time!

Good advice. I always tell young men to stay away from crazy biotches. Unfortunately they don't always listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
So she basically wanted to vent and wanted you to sit there quietly, not say a word and just...

Here's my 2 cents...people who drain every ounce of energy out of me are not worth my time. Knowing how she is, I wouldn't bother pursuing anything with her or even hanging out with her. I don't blame you for walking out but honestly, I would have changed the subject knowing it was going to turn ugly, finished dinner and then leave. I'd make it a short night. No coffee, no dessert. Eat and then "Check, please". Since you work together, you may have to hear her b*tch to others that you walked out on her.

(Don't date co-workers lol)

Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 AM

720 posts, read 1,408,497 times
Drama. You are better off without that non-sense.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:55 AM

792 posts, read 635,087 times
I find it irritating and slightly condescending when someone says things like "yeah", "interesting!", "great!", "cool", etc. I just think it shows you don't really care. But at the same time she wasn't right to make such a big deal out of it, it's just a habit you have, then fine. If you decide to see the girl again, just try and be more engaged in the conversation, I guess. Ask her questions, people love talking about themselves.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM

785 posts, read 954,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
I find it irritating and slightly condescending when someone says things like "yeah", "interesting!", "great!", "cool", etc. I just think it shows you don't really care. But at the same time she wasn't right to make such a big deal out of it, it's just a habit you have, then fine. If you decide to see the girl again, just try and be more engaged in the conversation, I guess. Ask her questions, people love talking about themselves.
I do that everyone. I was about to premise this response with "yeah" but caught myself I think too many of those responses would be too much I agree. Also sometimes I ask questions but not always.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I've been on and off with this coworker of mine. Things were cool. I saw her after work and she wanted to have dinner. She follows me and we get to the place.

One thing I notice about her is that she always has a drink or two with her meal. So we were talking about an account that I was helping her team with, being the technical operations point of contact for it, and she was talking. I interjected a few times with "yeah" to her. Just something subconscious.

She got upset "Stop saying yeah, it's like you are not listening". I gave her a bit of a smart ass answer and said that we work at the same company and we are talking about the same subject and account. I'm not ignoring you.

Her "You can just go home". "You're not my boyfriend".

This has been one of my issues with her for a while. She comes off as needy/whiny/emotional. She is REALLY into me unfortunately, but I cannot deal with her headcase issues and how she acts. It brings a side of anger that I don't like to show to people.

She has commented on the "yeah" thing before several months ago and that's my way of listening. Just saying guys don't waste your time!
I would decline anymore after work dinners unless I sat down alone with her and had a serious talk about the way she acted that night and tell her that it can't happen again or it will be the last time.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkz View Post
Rep for you buddy. I find it comical how certain types want to make everything gender neutral. Guess what, we're different, think differently, biologically different , and experience the world in vastly different ways.
You clearly don't get it then. The way she spoke to him is an unacceptable way to speak to anyone.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 AM

113 posts, read 111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
You clearly don't get it then. The way she spoke to him is an unacceptable way to speak to anyone.
That's true, but this was a situation between a man and a woman. We do not know how she speaks with people that she is not dating. Therefore one can rightly address the situation with knowledge we have. That knowledge is that she is speaking to a man in a disrespectful way.

Trying to gender neutralize a clearly gender based discussion is intellectually dishonest.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkz View Post
That's true, but this was a situation between a man and a woman. We do not know how she speaks with people that she is not dating. Therefore one can rightly address the situation with knowledge we have. That knowledge is that she is speaking to a man in a disrespectful way.

Trying to gender neutralize a clearly gender based discussion is intellectually dishonest.
Labeling something as intellectually dishonest is a way that people attempt to gain ground through ad hominem.

This argument isn't worth it to me enough to continue, because I feel like you aren't understanding what I'm saying.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM

113 posts, read 111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Labeling something as intellectually dishonest is a way that people attempt to gain ground through ad hominem.

This argument isn't worth it to me enough to continue, because I feel like you aren't understanding what I'm saying.
Lady I get it. The way she was talking to him was disrespectful to anyone, man or woman. But why you insist on gender neutralizing a topic that was clearly dating, sex, and gender based is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships