Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM

792 posts, read 635,202 times

Advertisements

Just curious. How was it like for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
I had a huge crush on a "friend" of mine for 3 years.

It had it's good moments when it seemed he liked me too. I was always really happy when I talked to him. But the distance and other things slowly killed his feelings I suppose. That, and he was traveling a lot and going on with his life. We haven't spoken in a year so it is safe to say that is over. In the years that I liked him, I went through a lot emotional pain and I am still not over it completely. I honestly don't even know how I fell for someone I never met face to face.(No he was not a catfish) All of our friends new each other. We would text daily and we video chatted. I am better than I was before. It taught me a good lesson though. I shouldn't be so afraid to tell someone how I feel regardless of the situation.

This could be the main reason why I never got any of my crushes lol. I was always shy and nervous, afraid of saying something stupid or weird. I honestly don't know how I would react in a situation if there was a good possibility of me getting into a relationship soon. Romantic love is very foreign to me. I really don't know how it may turn out in the future.

Last edited by Auraliea; 07-20-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
Well mine is an infatuation. It's like a crush, but taken to a bigger, possibly more obsessive level.

I had 8 crushes on different guys throughout my school-life. None of them reciprocated though.

I read alot, and watch alot of moves, shows, etc. Most of my infatuations come from there. My current being a guy from a book series I read. It was made into a tv series, but it was canceled.

I am very attracted to him-in every way. Possibly my most intense infatuation.

*I have some pix of him on my wall. A few in my phone, which I lay in bed and look at before going to sleep.
*Usually I am thinking about him when I wake up.
*I like to chat online with other fans of the series who like him. Many girls do. lol
*I have even written quite a bit about him, which anyone who reads it loves it.

I have liked him for 2 years, going on 3 now.

So, given the time and energy I invest in him, it's infatuation. More time-consuming than a simple crush, but definitely not true love--especially when you will not/can not meet them, thus have never even gone on a date with them. I have felt this for other guys--around 30. I always get over them--usually when a guy I think to be better catches my eye. lol

Infatuation tends be get confused as love, but it's happened so much for me, I can recognize it miles away. Infatuation is temporary. Either it turns into love as you get to know the person more, or it fades and you lose interest later.

It's nice, yet saddening at the same time. Nice because I am very attracted, and adore the guy. Sad as it's completely one-sided. lol

Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Torture. Absolutely torture.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Most of my genuine crushes have involved reciprocated feelings, but I was too insecure and demoralized to realize it. I've since realized that I have very good gut instincts when it comes to men's feelings for me, and looking back on my teens and 20s, I now realize that I could have had something with pretty much every one of the guys I had a crush on then. When a guy is truly indifferent to me, no matter how awesome he is, I just don't think of him in a romantic way.

This may be part of the reason I am able to have so many successful opposite-sex friendships.

But the last crush is recent and was kind of excruciating. I hadn't fallen that hard for someone in well over a decade. He returned my feelings in some form or another, but he's in a very bad place right now (literally, he has lost almost everything), and everything kind of went to hell because of that. I have never pined for someone who didn't like me back. But man, when you know a guy you're head over heels for does in fact have feelings for you and is too bound up in his own stuff to act on those feelings... that's a whole new kind of torture. I'm still kind of getting over it.

I have platonic crushes all the time too - I don't want to date these guys or even have sex with them because there's never any real chemistry. It's just that something about their intelligence or personality or a combination of those things with extreme good looks is exciting and fun to me. So I'll look forward to spending time with them. But that's just pure fun and there's no sadness or longing associated with it.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Oh I had a multi-year one on a college friend. I still probably have a crush on him. I met him at a party at the beginning of my junior year, and we just instantly bonded. It was like we had been bffs forever. We ended up spending the whole party hanging out and dancing together for hours. He was really cute, had an awesome accent, was super smart and gregarious, so we got along really well with a mutual love of sarcasm. I don't even know when this guy studied but he graduated in the top 5% of our class.

And then the loser guy didn't ask for my number. . I didn't see him for a few days so I decided to take matters in my own hands and run into him. I knew where his room was and I did something slightly stalker. I started studying in the study room near his dorm room. That turned out to be a really good life decision (off topic, but I ended up meeting one of my best friends in the study room and tons of other people of varying importance in my life after a week of studying there).

So anyway after a few days I ran into him. And he told me he had gone on a trip for a few weeks. After that we were totally inseparable. It got to the point where anyone looking for him would hunt me down. Even his 10 year old mentees!

Our dorm had ballroom dance classes and we'd go together (he was really awesome at Latin dances, everyone was always trying to cut in because the other guys sucked). We went to parties together and so on. Everyone always thought we were an item.

This went on for months but we were both shy, it never progressed into anything physical besides hand hold and playful wrestling. It was totally dumb because it got to the point where we each had other crushes and would tell each other about them. Anyway we started dating other people and hung out less. We just got sidetracked or whatever and our friendship tapered by the spring.

We lost touch by graduation. . Then a few years later I ran into him walking down the street. And it was like old times. It was right around my birthday. He came to my party and gave me the best birthday gift ever! Like it is still one of my faves: the vinyl version of my favorite album that I forced him to listen to on the day we met! And we started hanging out again. Then he joined the army and went to Afghanistan. We lost touch again.

Then a couple years after that I ran into him again. And as you can imagine it was just like old times again. We started hanging out again, it was great! But he was moving away in 2 weeks to go back to Afghanistan and then to grad school across the country. At the beginning we were in touch often. But life happens and we lost touch.

And I have hardly talked to him in the years since. I just see his posts on Facebook once and we comment on each other's once in a blue moon but I haven't talked to him like 8 years. I send him a check in note once every few years to see how he is doing with mixed results.
He isn't in touch with any of our mutual college friends at all.

I later figured out through a friend of his that he liked me too, but neither of us ever got out act together and told each other about it. I guess we both thought the other one thought we were friend-zoned. Apparently everyone else didn't think so. I still run into people for college who ask me about him and they are shocked we aren't in touch.

So that's my one that got away. If I ran into him, I would totally tell him this time around.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,756 times
My biggest crush was probably someone in my senior year of high school. As an adult, this guy who was in my same social circle yet I never met him (it was lust and infatuation). You know how on Facebook you can see who is going to a party or an event? Well I would regularly see his face and was just like :shoc ked: at how handsome he was. He looked like a Jewish Zack Morris! It was purely shallow on my end. I messaged him and we exchanged some messages. I saw on his Facebook that he actually had similar interests as mine (vegetarian cooking and into the environment). I took it as a sign that he wasn't interested when I gave him my number and he never called. I then said I really would like to talk to him and asked for his. He just said LOL and never gave me his number . I hate saying it but he was the reason I would go to a lot of these events. He would RSVP and either end up not going (I would ask around), or there would just be so many people that our paths never crossed. I later saw him on Jdate and would view his profile hoping he would message me forgetting who I am (at the time I had red hear and now I'm blonde), but that hasn't happened. I didn't expect him to become my boyfriend, I just wanted to meet this guy for once in person!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,056 times
I hate feeling a crush on someone, although I do it anyway out of instinct and primitive attraction. You're basically bobbing and weaving over someone who has no interest in you, which should be the primary trait to crush over at all.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Pretty good...I married her.
Awesome women.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Geez, I crush all the time. Where to start?

I've had a crush on a married coworker for about three years. He's gorgeous and a nice guy. Talking to him always makes me giddy, but also sad since I can't have him, so I avoid him sometimes. I haven't seen him since April, but I've saved many of his Facebook pics so I can drool over them whenever I need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships