Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

My SO and I bought our place together, but had only one of us done it for sure the other would have paid rent or otherwise contributed to the household finances. Moving in together means sharing a home together, and sharing a home comes with certain financial obligations to keep that home going.

Further down the road if a couple wants to take the next step (with or without marriage), you can always put the other person on the deed. That eliminates the feeling of "contributing towards someone else's investment" though really, aren't you doing that if you rent from a random landlord anyway? You need to live somewhere and very few people will house you for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Guys, would you feel comfortable moving into a house with the woman you are dating (that she owns) and feel comfortable paying her rent?

Edited: Would you feel comfortable living with her and not paying any expenses?
If I move into someone else's home I would want to put towards half of the expenses.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I think it's a no brainer if you live together you should share expenses. It gets tricky though because if a guy moves in w/ OP, then he is helping her make an investment he will likely never see a return on. You could look at it as well, he would be paying rent elsewhere and not getting an investment, so what does it matter, BUT I know I wouldn't personally live with a guy and help him buy a house I have no stake in when I could be paying for my own house. It's tricky.

I have my own house and I can't see any scenario where I would ever be okay putting a guy's name on the deed to my house even if we were getting married. I know that likely isn't fair to him, but it's just how I feel especially since I've seen what can happen in a divorce.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Yeah, that's a no brainer... but the question is, if you moved in with a woman who owned her house, would you pay rent (or I guess help her pay the mortgage).
Maybe. But I don't see myself living with a woman anytime soon.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM

377 posts, read 533,102 times
If you are moving in with your g/f, even if it's a house he owns, then you should be paying your share. If you want your financial responsibilities to end when you move, then move back in with mommy and daddy. Doesn't matter if she is paying a mortgage or rent, if you are an adult you have to pay your living expenses no matter where you are. Personally, I think it's better to find a place together and move in together. When you move in with someone, then they have the upper hand...so at anytime, you may get uprooted. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but if it does, it would suck. I've always have moved to a neutral place with g/f's, even when I owned a house, I would just rent it, find "our" place together.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
I wouldn't contribute to her mortgage payment unless we were married. Pick up all the utilities, perhaps (but I probably wouldn't even share a residence unless we were engaged). Space is undervalued in a relationship,

Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I don't believe in marriage, so a bf moving in with me is significant and as far a commitment as most of my relationships go--which is fine with me.
Oh okay I see. So do you currently own a home now? Or are you thinking about it and just seeing what it would be like from your boyfriend's point of view?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Oh okay I see. So do you currently own a home now? Or are you thinking about it and just seeing what it would be like from your boyfriend's point of view?
I currently own. Yes, was curious about a males perspective since I've gotten neg feedback from former bf's who didn't feel comfortable living in a home that wasn't there's and paying rent. AKA, they would rather stay in expensive or crappy living situations rather than move into a home owned by a women and paying her.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Have those boyfriends never rented an apartment before?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
I don't believe in living together before marriage, so I have nothing to contribute, but my friend's boyfriend paid her rent. It was a source of a lot of conflict though. Huge, huge fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships