Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I feel the same way. It takes me more than 30 seconds to warm up to someone. lol
I couldn't do it either. While I'm trying to figure out something interesting to say to one woman, it'll already be time to move to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM

279 posts, read 356,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raena77 View Post
he was probably a married guy.many do this.
+1

Old 07-27-2014, 04:15 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raena77 View Post
he was probably a married guy.many do this.
+2

Old 07-27-2014, 04:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So, yet again, I've connected online with someone who seemed smart and literate, interesting and normal. We had reached a point of talking about making plans to meet this weekend....here it is Sunday and he didn't get back in touch with me. Removed his profile from OKCupid. So now I've wasted a week chatting up someone who wasn't actually available. Emotionally or whatever. I don't take it personally.

I think i'm going to try speed dating. I figure if a guy has enough gumption to pay and show up for it, he is going to be naturally more extroverted than a guy who is just sitting at home looking at profiles on OKC.

I don't know anyone who's actually done speed dating. Any experiences? How does it compare? Seems like a more efficient use of time, and you've actually got that first meet over with. If you meet someone, then you can go right to a first date.
Sorry this has happened to you, but whatever you do, DO NOT take this personally.

Whatever the problem was, it was all on him.

Brush it off like dust on your shoes

Old 07-27-2014, 04:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I think you get five or six minutes to talk to each person when speed dating. Honestly, I know that isn't really enough time for me to gauge a man, but I think that most men would find that to be plenty of time. They tend to judge based on attractiveness and the presence of a 'spark', right?

I can't always be 'on' personality wise, but if I can get myself dolled up and over to the venue, and get past the first guy, I'd probably do pretty well. I think you can at least start the conversation by admitting how silly this all is. If both people are newbies, expectations are low, if the guy has done it before, he'll have that to talk about. Then I can compliment his tie/shirt/shoes/hair/eyes and let my embarrassing goofball sense of humor take it from there. As in: if I say something dorky I'll just roll my eyes and say OMG I can't believe i said that.

I've been out with so many guys who didn't bother to shave or put on a decent shirt lately, I think that the incentive of dressing up a bit for speed dating might raise my expectations a bit.

Now...what to wear? I'll mull on that for the next three weeks.......

Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Tip about speed dating: you should try to get a date that night and not just wait for the match results. Usually after a speed dating event, some people will hang around. Use this opportunity to go talk to any guy you found interesting. Some event planners will be coy and tell you not to exchange numbers and wait for them to match you. Don't listen to them! Break their silly rules and be creative. I have only attended a few speed dating events in the past but I have gone to accompany a few friends at their events. I have gotten numbers from women even though I wasn't in the event. I have gotten numbers for my friends. I have gotten a whole group together to go on a group date after the event. The best thing about these events is that so many single people are in the same location. Don't go home with just a piece of paper with a bunch of yes or nos next to numbers.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I vote married. If he was so smart and all, and had simply found someone else, he would have been polite enough to tell you.

That's the classic married guy pattern -- chat until it is time to meet, then make a date, disappear, and delete profile.
Really? What's the point? Just to confirm that they are still attractive to others? Do married guys use their real photos on dating sites (seems risky)? So. Many. Questions.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:33 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Really? What's the point? Just to confirm that they are still attractive to others? Do married guys use their real photos on dating sites (seems risky)? So. Many. Questions.

I think they plan to cheat and then chicken out. That's what the ones I have talked to said, anyway.

Many of them have no photos.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 PM

537 posts, read 768,910 times
I think speed dating is fun. I go about once every couple of months.Time varies, but usually it's 5-7 minutes per person depending upon attendance (more time per person if there are many no shows). I met a nice guy, but he wasn't interested beyond a second date. I was, but more like a friend. Plus he was kind of boring.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think they plan to cheat and then chicken out. That's what the ones I have talked to said, anyway.

Many of them have no photos.
My experience with married guys doing online dating is that they tend to live fairly far out of town. They come across as self absorbed, so I find it fairly easy to spot them.

They do NOT tend to give you their full name so you can google them and find their linked in page and facebook page.

This particular guy was not married. Just shy, is my assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships