Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:24 AM

610 posts, read 1,033,271 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the fundamental concept of dating. Basically, I don't know how a man is supposed to interact with women without being classified as a creep or a pervert. If a man approaches a woman in public, he is immediately called a creep. If a guy uses online dating and messages a woman, he is a perv that is just looking for sex. How is a guy supposed to interact with women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times
He's not creepy if she likes his approach, or finds him initially attractive.

But if you don't make a good enough approach, or aren't physically attractive, you may be considered a creep no matter what you do.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:32 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but most women are not drama queens who believe that most men are creeps or perverts. A sincere, friendly approach to a woman who herself seems friendly and open is not going to end in insults, even if she's not interested.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times
OP - that's not true! It all depends HOW a man is approaching a woman. There are so many ways to meet someone. If you’d like to take the initiative to make new friends but don’t want to come off as creepy, then it's important to find a balance between showing interest and not coming off as too eager, or even desperate.
4 Ways to Meet New People Without Being Creepy - wikiHow
where to meet:
50 Places to Meet People (When You’re Over the Bar Scene) | The Date Report
more to read:
Tips for Meeting Someone New to Date

Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:40 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
He's not creepy if she likes his approach, or finds him initially attractive.
This is a lie, designed to make you angry at women.

OP, here's how it really works: Women initiate, almost always. Women initiate, and they do it nonverbally, with glances, facial expressions, and body language. They make it very clear that they are interested. If you 'approach' a woman who has not previously initiated, that is what feels creepy.

Most people meet a person they are attracted to (that means you have compatible personalities and values, not just that you like their looks) about once every 6 months or so. Most adults have dry spells that last 2-7 years. If you are expecting more than that, that may be part of your problem. You may be too gullible, believing other guys (IRL and online) who claim they have a different experience.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM

211 posts, read 267,160 times
There are other avenues besides cold approaches and online dating. And no, most women do not think a guy is a creep when asked out or chatted up even if not interested. I know I've never been insulted when rejected, most feel bad.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM

51,039 posts, read 36,749,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I don't understand the fundamental concept of dating. Basically, I don't know how a man is supposed to interact with women without being classified as a creep or a pervert. If a man approaches a woman in public, he is immediately called a creep. If a guy uses online dating and messages a woman, he is a perv that is just looking for sex. How is a guy supposed to interact with women?
I don't think any random guy who approaches me is a creep, nor online, and I don't have any female friends who think this way. Are you sure you're not just imagining this is what the woman would think? Do you have in your profile that you're looking for a relationship? They are going to go by your profile and your message to them to determine if you seem "creepy" or perv or anything. What exactly are you saying when you approach or write to women?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,484,694 times
There really is a huge difference in the way in which these men that are being labeled creeps mainly due to the way they are interacting with these women. When you talk with a woman and she's being responsive to you that's a good indication to keep chatting with her, if she seems to not be interested, then leave her alone, how much more simple can that be. Someone gets pushy, you are crossing a line, you start with the sexual innuendo and she isn't receptive to that line of chatter with you cut it out, you are moving into creepiness when you keep pressing. Doesn't matter if she determines you are someone she finds attractive or not as to how receptive she is, if you aren't the one she welcomes the behavior from and you are being forward when she is backing away, you are being creepy and inappropriate in that moment, period and that goes for if the woman is doing the same to a man. Don't be creepy, don't try to force your affections onto someone that isn't receptive. So what if it's because they don't find you appealing in looks, that's their choice.

So easy, strike up a conversation, she's not interested, move on

Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,215,654 times
If the OP is over the age of 19 and really doesn't understand the concept of dating then the OP is hopeless and will not benefit from any advise anyone can give him. I am inclined to think the OP is trolling, but I will comment anyway... Immature women will refer to men they are not attracted to as creeps or perverts. It is cruel, immature and unnecessary. It is primarily a way of bonding with their equally immature girl friends and keeping social status. It says more about the girl than the guy. It is equivalent to a white person using the N word or a straight man using the F word, cruel, immature and unnecessary.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,634,797 times
You got some good advice on this thread! Look at the excellent articles that Elnina linked to.

My best tip: shut off the internet and go do real world activities that you like! Bike, climb rocks, rescue dogs & cats, sample craft beers . . . whatever! Try making friends, first, of both sexes. Let people know that you don't mind being fixed up.

The main thing is that it should interest you! Don't go to things that bore you just to meet someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships