Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times

Advertisements

Another poster mentioned they met a woman at a volunteer event.

I tend to think if a woman does things like volunteers regularly, works with poor people supplying food security, or tutors inner city kids, then she probably cares less about looks too. I feel like my odds are better.

Reasonable assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post

I tend to think if a woman does things like volunteers regularly, works with poor people supplying food security, or tutors inner city kids, then she probably cares less about looks too. I feel like my odds are better.

Reasonable assumption?
I volunteered, so now I'm ugly?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:

Reasonable assumption?
Maybe, maybe not. I've known some very picky women who were child advocates and volunteers for charity.
It would be a good way to meet a nice person, and if there is a connection then you ask her out.

Are you more likely to overlook a woman's appearance because you are volunteering? It's a two way street.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Are you more likely to overlook a woman's appearance because you are volunteering? It's a two way street.
I do volunteer and have tutored a lot in the past.

And yes, I am very, very lenient when it comes to women's looks.

But that may be because 1) I was raised that way, 2) I'm not too attractive and have never gotten any attention from women so my standards are lower.

But it does seem to be sensible that there might be a correlation.

I mean when I hear somebody say something like, "I don't care how sweet of a woman she is, if she's 300 pounds, there's no chance." I don't think of them volunteering at a soup kitchen. But I could be wrong.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:

But that may be because 1) I was raised that way, 2) I'm not too attractive and have never gotten any attention from women so my standards are lower.

I mean when I hear somebody say something like, "I don't care how sweet of a woman she is, if she's 300 pounds, there's no chance." I don't think of them volunteering at a soup kitchen. But I could be wrong.
It can't hurt, and you will be doing something for the community.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:

Yes, you could be very wrong. At almost all of the places I've volunteered, worked and had people come volunteer a few of the people's hours of unpaid work was part of some kind of required program that they had to get in as many unpaid hours for a period of time, sometimes even court order, so yes, not all people you'll run into during volunteer situations will be doing it out of the goodness of their heart and they aren't exactly always going to announce this to you. Just saying.

On the other hand, most of the people you will, likely, meet are genuinely nice people, but it doesn't mean they are any different in choosing partners based on certain criteria.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:

Reasonable assumption?
Your looks or hers?
Everyone's preferences and weighting of qualities in what makes the opposite sex are different. But I would tend to agree that women who volunteer regularly may have more 'weight' placed in assessing a male partner's attractiveness in the character quality department versus the physical department.

As for caring about her own looks, No. I wouldn't say they care less about their own looks but they do not go to these types of volunteer events dressed up and made up to look their best as if they are on a date or night on the town. I've volunteered a few times with different organizations and for most part everyone is in dressed down work mode. No trying to impress the opposite sex. Thought occasionally you get those naturals that can not hide it no matter how hard they try.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 PM

814 posts, read 760,393 times
I don't think so OP. I know a girl who does charity work every weekend. She's nice looking, not smoking hot or anything, but nice looking. Her standards for men are really high, always talking about her prince charming, tall, white guy blah blah blah. I think she feels even more entitled to one of those guys because of the charity she does.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:

Reasonable assumption?
I do some of those things, and I would say no, if I am understanding you correctly.

The young woman I work with (and myself) are very well groomed. Most are at least average in their attractiveness. There are some homely ones, but they make the best of what they have; you don't see many sloppy people. Most of the, er, older women are married (read: over 35). Generally, they lead healthier lifestyles (not partying types), and it shows in their appearance. So some of this IS related to their values, actually. There are not a lot of "hot" types, mainly because they don't dress super sexy or develop that persona (or they don't show it when volunteering at least).

In some ways, yes, they may prize personal qualities above sheer looks, but they likely prefer someone around their own level still. The tend to be conservative about stuff like casual sex, although not necessarily conservative in other beliefs. I'm not sure what odds you are seeking to improve - someone to date or a ONS?
If it's the former, then you'd probably do well if you sincerely believe in the cause and put reasonable care into your appearance.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:

Reasonable assumption?
So is it a reasonable assumption to say if a guy does volunteer-work solely to pick up on women isn't at all creepy? In the least bit? How disingenuous.

"I'll join the Red Cross because I think all the guys there are a bit frumpy and fug, so my odds of being rejected are lower. I'm not very attractive either and I'll have a better chance."

For real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships