Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,963,524 times

Advertisements

I guess my thoughts are you would feel like you are closer or with them if you get a selfie.

You know, "Just enjoying my lunch in the sun at the park." ( then a picture of you on a park bench )

I think the OP is overreacting a bit. If you send a selfie and they flake then it will save you a lot of run around. If they still find you cute even after the no makeup selfie then he's a keeper.

Sorry you are so upset about taking a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 11:35 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^ absolutely!!

If I was going back on OLD, I would ask for a selfie also. It would have saved me many wasted dates with people who look NOTHING like their profile pics (anymore) in the past.
At that point, I'm highly embarrassed because I felt I accurately represented myself with a selfie and me doing an activity with a timestamp, yet I'm showing up to meet a person who's a fabrication of who they presented themselves as.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I guess my thoughts are you would feel like you are closer or with them if you get a selfie.

You know, "Just enjoying my lunch in the sun at the park." ( then a picture of you on a park bench )

I think the OP is overreacting a bit. If you send a selfie and they flake then it will save you a lot of run around. If they still find you cute even after the no makeup selfie then he's a keeper.

Sorry you are so upset about taking a picture.

Myself and my most recent ex did this, because we were long-distance. You nailed it, it felt like the two of us were together even though there was 50 miles inbetween us. We didn't do it everyday, but she would show me a picture of her room when she was out of town or a beer she was trying at a bar. I always thought it was sweet and it made me feel like she was thinking about me too.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:

If I was going back on OLD, I would ask for a selfie also. It would have saved me many wasted dates with people who look NOTHING like their profile pics (anymore) in the past.
C'mon, Ev, I only graduated from HS 30 years ago. And we only had coffee.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I will be honest. I ask, because people aren't always truthful with the pics on the site. For instance, one lady looked really attractive, but never showed her teeth in the 5 or 6 photos she had. Had a nice figure and everything. Finally got her to send a picture smiling and I realized why she didn't smile. Missing teeth and a lot of decay.

I ask because people flat out lie. I don't think they lie on purpose either. They're trying to date just like everyone else, so if they don't like their current physical outlook, they may use a picture from a couple of years ago, where they really liked themselves. Coming into a meet up situation like that stinks, which is why I've asked for pictures. I went on a meetup with a woman who had a very attractive selfie image on her profile. It was at an angle, so she did look slimmer and it was only a headshot. We met in person and she was easily 50 to 60 pounds heavier than how I mentally envisioned her. It just set the wrong kind of tone.

Truthfully, people know their physical appearance isn't up to par, which is why they lie in the first place. I still don't think it's done on purpose, because I don't doubt that these men and women are still fairly kind people. They just know the 40 pounds they've put on is not going to attract the male/female that they desire.
My husband had a single photo on his okcupid profile. It was from about 100 yards away and was him standing at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. You could tell that he was ostensibly a human, and that was about all.

His profile was witty, so I wrote him. He wrote back, we talked on the phone, hit it off verbally, and decide to meet. I figured if his looks weren't my thing, that'd be apparent when we met. We met, he was cute, we've been together since. *shrug*

I had a number of pics in my profile, including one that was a selfie. Apparently, the angle it was taken at (slight cheated profile, as pics where you're staring straight on at the camera are weird, learned that working in photojournalism), in thumbnail size, it looked like I had "a fish eye" (whatever that is). My husband confessed to me a few months into dating that he was slightly nervous before we met that I'd have "a fish eye!" He even told his best friend that he had a date, but was a little worried about the "fish eye" possibility based on that one thumbnail. Needless to say, the lack of a "fish eye" was a relief.

We do still joke about him agreeing to meet me despite the fish eye. I still have a jpeg of the photo in question, and will occasionally text it to him, with the caption, "Aaaaagh, fish eye!!!" I might go do that now.

In short, people need to lighten up about pics.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 3,754 times
I guess I'm the odd one out, but OP is not overreacting. It is all day every day with these people asking for pic after pic. You could send 30 and they still want more and more and more. Again, I am talking about when it's evident there is no catfish involved. They have been in your gram or Facebook and then they want separate photos just for them. No thanks! Not happening. At that point of you need to see more of me then you need to meet me.

This goes beyond verification. This is an example of losers who are wasting time who get bored because they aren't ambitious, not working, or whatever and are self serving and have nothing better to do than to ask for more pics and instantaneous selfies.

Someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 3,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Myself and my most recent ex did this, because we were long-distance. You nailed it, it felt like the two of us were together even though there was 50 miles inbetween us. We didn't do it everyday, but she would show me a picture of her room when she was out of town or a beer she was trying at a bar. I always thought it was sweet and it made me feel like she was thinking about me too.
This is not relevant. OP is not dating these men because they haven't asked her out! They have not even met! She is trying to meet them but they are just asking for limitless photos.

Does that makes sense? Maybe we have different demographics here. I'm confused what you don't understand.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:50 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^ absolutely!!

That should not be selfie after selfie after selfie, however. The OP was concerned with repeated demands for selfies.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:53 AM

626 posts, read 903,716 times
No one wants a "puss in a bag". We live in a fast paced world. Selfie not up to par, he has the option of saying yeah or nay...on to the next... . Maybe too much damn free time; Who the heck knows. It's the way of the world now a days. They'll be asking for your mannequin shot next.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemriver View Post
This is not relevant. OP is not dating these men because they haven't asked her out! They have not even met! She is trying to meet them but they are just asking for limitless photos.

Does that makes sense? Maybe we have different demographics here. I'm confused what you don't understand.

This was a response to another post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships