Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lol, what did you do?

Wrote the following in response to someone who is afraid of their gas stove which they do not have experience with because they have always had electric:

"You do realize that electric stoves and ovens can short out and burn the house down correct?

Your water heater that is electric could also explode, the electric dryer could have lint catch on fire, lightening could strike the pole and surge into your home and burn the place down, the toaster oven could short out and start a fire or food could drip on the elements in the toaster oven and start a fire, the toaster could also short out as well as the coffee maker, radio, television, computer, printer, washing machine and any other appliance you have in your home, the microwave could malfunction and explode, a bus could go up on the curb and run you over, the starter or alternator in your vehicle could catch fire, there could be a small leak in the gasoline tank of your vehicle and it could catch fire.
Did you know the leftover dirt, fuzz and hair in the sweeper or whole house vacuum can build up and catch fire?"

Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Mistakes can lead to greater things and richer experiences. They can do a lot of good, down the road.

Very true,

Adi, don't even think that those of us who are older and post here haven't taken our lumps, bumps, bruises and mistakes because we have.
We have all had similar experiences in life and we have all had to learn life lessons, some of us have taken longer than others to learn those lessons, some of us have taken different paths to learn those lessons but eventually we learned them and we only wish to try and help those who are younger get through those lumps, bumps, bruises and mistakes a wee bit easier than we did.

We all bring a different perspective to the table whether it be as a parent, a grand parent or as a child who was taught something by an elder.

It is amazing what so many can teach you if you pay attention even a wee bit.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Mistakes can lead to greater things and richer experiences. They can do a lot of good, down the road.
That is so true. If we pay attention and see how we'd like things to be different. Good post, SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Wrote the following in response to someone who is afraid of their gas stove which they do not have experience with because they have always had electric:

"You do realize that electric stoves and ovens can short out and burn the house down correct?

Your water heater that is electric could also explode, the electric dryer could have lint catch on fire, lightening could strike the pole and surge into your home and burn the place down, the toaster oven could short out and start a fire or food could drip on the elements in the toaster oven and start a fire, the toaster could also short out as well as the coffee maker, radio, television, computer, printer, washing machine and any other appliance you have in your home, the microwave could malfunction and explode, a bus could go up on the curb and run you over, the starter or alternator in your vehicle could catch fire, there could be a small leak in the gasoline tank of your vehicle and it could catch fire.
Did you know the leftover dirt, fuzz and hair in the sweeper or whole house vacuum can build up and catch fire?"

Annnnd.....there goes that person's night's sleep.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That is so true. If we pay attention and see how we'd like things to be different. Good post, SD.

Annnnd.....there goes that person's night's sleep.

Until that stove has been removed from that home I'm sure....LOL

Old 11-02-2014, 09:05 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I really do understand but you have to lighten up and let yourself make mistakes and learn from those mistakes.
We are all human and no matter what anyone (even your Father says) no human is perfect, cannot be perfect and never will be perfect.

Life is fun if you allow it to be fun when the time is appropriate, obviously telling jokes at a funeral is not an appropriate time, depending on who's funeral it is but here in this thread, fun, life is fun, all of us telling about wee bits and pieces of our lives is for entertainment value and discussion.
Yes the discussion can be serious but if you notice that doesn't last long.
My dad expects a lot out of me, for paying $16 K per semester. Sometimes, its a bit hard for me to meet the demands, and then I get yelled at which makes me feel bad. But I do promise to deliver and do so within a very reasonable time frame.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I'm just too reserved and find it hard to stay at ease. My parents expect a lot out of me, for paying $16 K per semester.

I understand what your parents "expect" okay, I really do but as long as you do the best you can it has to be good enough.

Trust me you yourself mean so much more to them than that $16k per semester.
It may not feel like it right now but you really do and if you would get past the importance of the money and see how much more important you, their son is to them you would be able to relax at least a wee bit.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
This is for Adi--
Watch the entire thing....
Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Ko32D5ALw

Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
My parents expect a lot out of me, for paying $16 K per semester. Sometimes, its a bit hard for me to meet the demands, and then I get yelled at. But I do promise to deliver and do so within a very reasonable time frame.
I hear that Indian families can be pretty strict at times.... specially in terms of school... but you're doing good adi..... in a short amount of time you'll be on your own and can dictate your own life a bit more.. I think culturally Indians have a tendency to a little more subservient to their families....white people have that too, but not as much... at least I think so.. anyways....

Old 11-02-2014, 09:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I've had to take my share of the lumps. I know I'd do things different. However, it is moot. So it is best to embrace as much as you can to make it the best for the moment.

I am also always looking down the line. I worry about enjoying the moment.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:16 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I don't have a lot of regrets in my life, but one of them that does sort of pop into my mind is my lack of risk taking... I've taken the safe route a little too much in my life.... fear of failure, I suppose is at the core... but whatever it is what it is.... in certain respects it has served me well, at least in terms of work I've done ok financially.... have a pretty good 401k for a guy my age... but money isn't everything... I wished I would have gone to Europe when I was in college and been a little more aggressive with risk taking, but... IDK... it's not over... 45, while it sounds old... it really isn't in the grand scheme of things and Mrs. Chow and I are talking about going to Greece and other parts of Europe to travel and see the world a bit... I think by the nature of America being so far away that we have a tendency to be a bit insulated from how the rest of the world lives and that has given us a dullness to a degree... but that is best left for a blog entry.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.