Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:07 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times

Advertisements

Can someone define what controlling is and reference the example below?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...him-vegas.html

Cliffs:
-girl seeing a guy
-girl went to vegas for her friend's party
-had pictures of her and another dude lying together, drunks pics etc
-posted it to facebook
-BF saw it and said to her "for someone who works with kids and who is a christian and wearing stuff is gross and disrespectful"

Is the "BF" "controlling"?

Users saying he is controlling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
As for the shorts--why didn't he say anything BEFORE you left the house if he thought they were inappropriate? That to me is a red flag and makes him sound controlling. Since when does working with kids mean you can't wear shorts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
What happens in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas.

He sounds controlling. He wants to tell you who you can spend time with, what you can share on Facebook, and what you cannot wear. That's a big red flag right there. I fully agree with Eazine on this one. His comments are the first step in controlling you. I would get out now...or in a few months you will be posting about your abusive boyfriend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
However, that aside, there are some red flags here re: your bf's behavior. Are you both Christians? Was that a major factor in you two deciding to be exclusive? He sounds like he carries a lot of anger and is controlling. Maybe this is the first you saw of it, so you don't know whether to take it seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Run for the hills. My initial reaction was that the photo may have been inappropriate because I can see how people would take it the wrong way. But his behavior regarding your clothes is far, far, far more inappropriate and actually very concerning. He sounds possessive and controlling and the longer you are with him, the worse this behavior will get. Doesn't matter if you were wearing the sluttiest outfit ever known to mankind, it shouldn't be something to get angry about and so a decent guy would know how to approach the topic without being passive aggressive, putting you down, and insulting you.
Users saying he is NOT controlling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
If I were in a newly exclusive relationship I would not be caught dead half drunk draped over another man. I don't think your boyfriend is controlling at all. He's wise to be questioning your behaviour. It is inappropriate and trashy. And btw, Facebook is never truly private.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
If I went with some chic to Vegas my gf would be outraged. Would I label her controlling and warrant a breakup?

If my girl is going act and dress like a slaht, she better prepared to be treated like one. Vegas sipping off the same alcohol cup all up on him and prancing around in daisy dukes in public places... L OH L not happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I agree. Some of the comments here are making me shake my head. I wonder how the OP would feel if her boyfriend went to bachelor party in Vegas where a stripper was there, he had a few too many beers and was photographed with his head in her lap. I highly doubt she'd be fine with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I don't get where the b/f is acting jealous or controlling. Because he got upset at seeing his g/f acting up with another guy? Because he was upset that she posted the pic on Facebook where their friends could also see how she disrespected him? Because he wasn't happy about his g/f showing off her butt cheeks in public? Let's see.. They went to an arcade where.. You pretty much have to bend over or at the very least learn forward to play the games. Nice show for the guys behind her..
If people want to do those kinds of things perhaps they should stay single until they grow up and get it out of their system.
I for one am not buying the innocent act. Flaunt it if ya got it, but if it comes back and bites you in the a$$ it's nobodies fault but your own.

So which one is it???? What is the definition of "controlling"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Controlling: determine the behavior of someone other than yourself.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Controlling | Define Controlling at Dictionary.com

Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Controlling: determine the behavior of someone other than yourself.
So if a mom scolds her child for taking something at a store...is she "controlling"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
If the definition is so "simple" why is there huge disagreement?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,641 times
I didn't read any ultimatums in that said thread.

There was no controlling on the boyfriends part. Nobody man wants to be disrespected and humiliated by their gf's shenanigans.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
So if a mom scolds her child for taking something at a store...is she "controlling"?

Human beings.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post

You cannot use a Mother in this instance because YOU started the thread using a romantic relationship to base your question on.

Try again later when you want to get back to the original thread and not use a normal, expected, parental necessity to teach one's child.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:

There was no controlling on the boyfriends part. Nobody man wants to be disrespected and humiliated by their gf's shenanigans.

I guess it doesn't count when he "TOLD" her NOT to wear the specific pair of shorts again because it was gross and disgusting?

Okay, sure but in my dictionary no one TELLS me what I can and cannot wear. I am a grown woman and I can make my own choices when it comes to, well, everything.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:

Only the suggestion of controlling was mentioned in that thread. People saying that his getting angry and telling her they'd have to discuss her behavior... was an attempt to control her actions.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You cannot use a Mother in this instance because YOU started the thread using a romantic relationship to base your question on.

Try again later when you want to get back to the original thread and not use a normal, expected, parental necessity to teach one's child.
Ok so when a mother scolds her child, it is not controlling. Can we agree on that then?

How about this example: Your friends want you to go to the party but you need to do work. She tells you if you don't go, then she won't go to your bachelorette party. Is your friend controlling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships