Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSlipper View Post
You're right, your feeeeeelings probably do trump the data.

EDIT: And when it does die an unceremonious death, I'll be there to dance a *** on its grave. Marriage in the late 20th and early 21st century is slavery that the male gender needs to be liberated from.
Bored today, Ninja? Got nothing better to do than stir the pot?

*yawn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
You're right, your feeeeeelings probably do trump the data.

EDIT: And when it does die an unceremonious death, I'll be there to dance a *** on its grave. Marriage in the late 20th and early 21st century is slavery that the male gender needs to be liberated from.
Wow, biased much? What, did your wife sleep with your brother and run off with your dog??

Sorry Sparky, marriage may look "different" but it will never disappear.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Until recently, marriage was both the default lifestyle expected of most adults, and the only systematic means of having a romantic relationship. Going further back another 1-2 generations, marriage almost guaranteed that this relationship would endure, even if one of the partners developed reservations. Thus, marriage was both necessary and sufficient for a stable relationship. Today, neither is true, and this raises glaring questions about the utility of marriage. Even so, married couples continue to enjoy crucial legal and financial advantages. A specific example? After my divorce, my annual income taxes went up by $7000. My income didn't change, but my filing-status did.

However, there are some jobs where before the 20th century, the incumbent was expected to be unmarried, whereas now the situation is entirely the reverse. I give an example below. So in that sense, marriage has become MORE important, not less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think marriage is pointless/unnecessary UNLESS you have kids.
Kids need stability, reliability, and security.
None of these is guaranteed with marriage, but a lot more likely.
While I agree that children in particular benefit for a married two-parent household, there are even benefits for the child-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What dreams would be ended with a marriage? That is what I'm trying to fathom. Be a rock star and live on the road? ...
A chess grandmaster in his early 20s is thinking about going pro. This means traveling for 200 days/year and living out of a suitcase. Can this be done while married (without abject risk of divorce)?

Expeditionary-type of jobs were typically done by unmarried men. An example is the military. It was broadly expected that a man would serve out his military career unmarried, and that his marriage would be preceded by retirement. In fact the whole point of retiring was to "settle down" and to get married. Today it's the reverse, at least in the modern American military, where it seems that marriage is essential for an officer's career-advancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
biography
career

seriously?
I won't argue causality vs. correlation, but consider this: How many high-ranking military officers are unmarried? How many corporate CEOs are unmarried? How many state-level or national-level politicians are unmarried? For positions of high visibility and influence, for positions of leadership, it's expected that the incumbent first "lead" a family, before leading an organization. If you're an Lt Col trying to make 0-6, being unmarried counts as a detriment, if only unofficially. If you're a VP vying for the top-job, being unmarried counts as a detriment. The more senior the position, the more socially expected it is to be married.

Quote:
For a lot of little boys, their childhood dream is to be, like you said, a rock star, an astronaut, a lumberjack, live by himself in the woods....that's all over on wedding day.
The point, I think, isn't that marriage is a trap or a tawdry burden, but that it's an acquiescence that one has undertaken the responsibility of adulthood, and has become a staid member of the establishment, rather than an iconoclast or a rebel. For some people this is dispiriting, as it implies a surrender of one's individual primacy, in favor of stability and acceptance.

But at a certain point we realize that rebellion and nimble rootlessness are preferable only if fellow rebels can be mustered. If one remains alone, while all others have acceded to the "yoke" of marriage, remaining the indomitable individualist loses its appeal and luster. The continued rebellion becomes sophomoric and vain.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bored today, Ninja? Got nothing better to do than stir the pot?

*yawn*
He's singing the same tune he always sings when he gets here

Reminds me of the guy standing on any city street corner in America screaming at the passing throngs...THE END IS NEAR - REPENT! Yeah, nobody pays any attention to him either

Old 09-12-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Nope, never had the displeasure of being married. It absolutely will disappear if males are not given some incentive to do it.

Right now, there are none...in fact, there are a lot of DISincentives.
Fascinating. I guess this explains why the wedding announcements pages in the newspapers are full of happy couples? Not to mention the stampede to marriage by gay male couples?

Another lame theory shot down in flames. Have a nice weekend, Ninja.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
That's like saying that global warming doesn't exist because it's really chilly in Alaska. Do you realize how foolish this sounds?

Did you look at the graph?

You seem to operate in your own reality.
How many women do you know who get married at 15 or 16? Of course marriage rates are declining. Women are getting educations and marrying much later.

Back to the drawing board. How are those weekend plans coming along, btw?

Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Difference is, I'm using facts and figures. You're using nothing but your feeeelings.

Do you have any evidence that the precipitous decline of marriage rates are going to turn around? Or even level off?
My "feelings" have nothing to do with the fact that religions that value marriage as the solid foundation in which to rear a family have existed for centuries and centuries. Believers will never be "extinct" and therefore neither will marriage

Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fascinating. I guess this explains why the wedding announcements pages in the newspapers are full of happy couples? Not to mention the stampede to marriage by gay male couples?

Another lame theory shot down in flames. Have a nice weekend, Ninja.
Gotta love it when someone with absolutely ZERO experience in something wants to speak as though he is an expert in it lol

Old 09-12-2014, 03:59 PM

364 posts, read 371,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Gotta love it when someone with absolutely ZERO experience in something wants to speak as though he is an expert in it lol
ugh. You don't need to be married to talk about marriage.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regirock View Post
sounds like a lot of horse ****. I dont think a single man would ever think like this.
Umm...

*runs and hides in shame.

The cynic in me is disappointed in this list. But I'm okay with what I've read.

"Cuz I'm in luv"

...But it's unrequited so I am going to get my heart broken. Got to learn somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships