Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
So you're deeply troubled by nagging questions and awkward glances? The only reason you are bothered by these very trivial things is that on some level, you're not too happy about the state of things even though you claim otherwise. .
This.

If you are truly happy, other people asking you why you are eating alone or why you are vacationing alone, etc. will not bother you in the least.

If you are loving life, nobody else's opinion of your life will matter one iota to you.

If you're happy with the way things are, you're not coming to a forum seeking validation for your lifestyle choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 01:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im not sure anyone is constantly pushing and prying. The OP speaks of odd looks and her mother. Of course your family and friends would be concerned for your happiness but honestly I cant imagine so many people really push. I think most is just normal conversation. Its typical for someone to ask if your dating or when are you going to get married. I don't think people really give two figs. My son doesn't date much and never wants to marry. Occasionally Ill ask if he is seeing anyone. I don't think that is pushing or prying. But if someone starts conversing with me about how they don't want to be in a relationship and how happy they are alone and how annoying it is having people comment on their aloneness I would question why they are focusing on it and feel the need to push the subject.
True but it is hard to imagine someone just initiating a conversation about how they never want to date or get married in real life (I know the internet is a different story). It would usually be because the person(s) they are talking to brought it up. I myself only talk about it when someone else ask me and even then I downplay it or try to change the subject as soon as possible.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
True but it is hard to imagine someone just initiating a conversation about how they never want to date or get married in real life (I know the internet is a different story). It would usually be because the person(s) they are talking to brought it up. I myself only talk about it when someone else ask me and even then I downplay it or try to change the subject as soon as possible.
I was about to say...I seriously doubt the OP is going around just randomly telling people or asking people about her relationship life. Some people just like to pry and be nosy, and try to make people feel bad.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:02 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
True. I guess it is an internet phenomenon.
I only talk about it when I get drawn into others relationship drama from snoring issues to absolute bat chit craziness and I comment that's why Im glad Im alone.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Some people may see it that way, but in the end, your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to the life you're going to live.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 PM

324 posts, read 294,636 times
As long as you're okay with it, everything else is worthless.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:09 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,465,509 times
not a problem, some people just dont understand enjoying your life alone, it's called "introvert"

some people like to have lots of socializing and cant stand being alone and some people enjoy being alone, life is so much simpler and stress free when you dont have to deal with people you have no interest in, for a loner it feels like they are wasting your time and getting in your space, especially if your a private person that likes to keep to themselves.

it's better to be happy and alone than dependent on others for support , only weak people need constant friendship & companionship

some people are happy just to have a dog as a companion

Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
only weak people need constant friendship & companionship

I don't find that to be the case at all.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
If you're happy with that, go for it. You owe no one an explanation.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 PM

326 posts, read 348,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaah221 View Post
It can be upsetting, hearing from my mom. I feel kind of bad for her. I'm an only child and in my early 30s. Sometimes when she speaks about grandchildren, I smile and say, who knows maybe some day, but she knows that I have no interest and I'm just trying to be nice.

I do however believe that she feels as though something went wrong during my childhood. I think she may be right to a degree. I was teased a lot by males (as a child), and never forgot the pain and frustration of it all.
I know exactly how you feel and unless you've been through this you have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships