Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times

Advertisements

People seem to be always talking about Long Distance Relationships as negative but I think there are a lot of positive things about long distance relationships like.
Being away from each other makes you miss that person more
You both can have separate lives so you can be independent of the other person.
You do not have so much physical contact so it makes you work on other parts of the relationship
What other benefits are there to long distance relationships? Do you agree with these benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
When you have a fight you goway far?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:21 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
People seem to be always talking about Long Distance Relationships as negative but I think there are a lot of positive things about long distance relationships like.
You do not have so much physical contact so it makes you work on other parts of the relationship
What other benefits are there to long distance relationships? Do you agree with these benefits?
The first highlighted is my big attraction to long distance. I have a very busy life and not a lot of time to date (although I can make time). But the amount of time men seem to need even surpasses what I can make. So with long distance, I get my space day-to-day and when we are together, we are 100% together. It ends up being the same amount of time I can give, just concentrated.

The second thing highlighted is good too, unless you get someone in the couple who doesn't communicate well. But the other side of that is when you do get together, the physical is over-the-top great. Nothing like a few weeks of pent up sexual energy released all at once

Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Quote:
I don't really agree. Being in a relationship with someone you seldom see can get quite lonely. No dates on a Friday night, no snuggling on the couch, no one by your side when you're invited out with friends and their partners.

Other than talking by text, email, phone, Skype, what other parts of your relationship are you working on? They're not there to help you build your new Ikea bookcase, make a meal with, have a glass of wine with after a long day at the office, hold your hand and go for a walk on a sunny summer evening.

Being in a relationship, I don't want to live a separate life so independently of my partner. I'm married but still an independent person, I'm just not alone.

Missing someone all the time can get quite old after a while. My husband and I weren't really that long distance while dated but we lived far enough apart, and worked in the opposite direction of our homes and each other that we only spent weekends together for the first 2.5 years of our relationship. I couldn't be involved with someone I only saw once a month or less.

In the limited time you spend together, of course it's going to be happy and wonderful the whole time, because it's not everyday life. I liken it to those Bachelor shows on TV. Everything is magical when you're all dolled up and being whisked away all over the world to romantic spots, for free. Back in reality, you still have to go to work, buy groceries, and deal with the toilet overflowing. You need to see how people handle the bad times along with the good ones and you can't do that so far apart.

Kudos to anyone who makes it work, but it's not for me.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:30 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I don't really agree. Being in a relationship with someone you seldom see can get quite lonely. No dates on a Friday night, no snuggling on the couch, no one by your side when you're invited out with friends and their partners.

Other than talking by text, email, phone, Skype, what other parts of your relationship are you working on? They're not there to help you build your new Ikea bookcase, make a meal with, have a glass of wine with after a long day at the office, hold your hand and go for a walk on a sunny summer evening.

Being in a relationship, I don't want to live a separate life so independently of my partner. I'm married but still an independent person, I'm just not alone.

Missing someone all the time can get quite old after a while. My husband and I weren't really that long distance while dated but we lived far enough apart, and worked in the opposite direction of our homes and each other that we only spent weekends together for the first 2.5 years of our relationship. I couldn't be involved with someone I only saw once a month or less.

In the limited time you spend together, of course it's going to be happy and wonderful the whole time, because it's not everyday life. I liken it to those Bachelor shows on TV. Everything is magical when you're all dolled up and being whisked away all over the world to romantic spots, for free. Back in reality, you still have to go to work, buy groceries, and deal with the toilet overflowing. You need to see how people handle the bad times along with the good ones and you can't do that so far apart.

Kudos to anyone who makes it work, but it's not for me.
I agree with all of this. LDR are not my thing, and not something I would engage. If I develop a relationship with someone, it has to be someone I can see in person alot. Not glued at the hip. of course. So, for me, LDR is too disconnected.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I agree with all of this. LDR are not my thing, and not something I would engage. If I develop a relationship with someone, it has to be someone I can see in person alot. Not glued at the hip. of course. So, for me, LDR is too disconnected.
I think it's true that different people have different levels of comfort with it. My ex-husband was military and would be deployed for a year at a time and I could (and did) easily cope. A lot of times I looked forward with anticipation to the "alone time." And people who marry truckers, deep sea fishermen, etc... anyone who is away for stretches at a time can make it work. But on the other side of the spectrum you have people who don't like it and have a hard time when their significant other goes on a one week conference. I have co-workers whose spouses (or they) are like this. The time apart is unbearable to them.

I sometimes wonder if a lot of how you deal with it depends on how introverted or extroverted you are. I always test on the extreme end of introverted on personality tests. Introverted people "need" time alone, even from loved ones. Extroverted people "thrive" when they are with people, especially loved ones.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
In my experience, the advantages really are disadvantages in the long run.

Being apart is not real life. It can artificially extend the life of a mediocre relationship. It makes you miss each other, of course, but it sets you up for exaggerated reunions, which can lead to exhausting highs and lows.

You're on your best behavior when you DO see each other, but then when/if you do finally get to live in the same city, it can make the eventual adjustments that much harder after you become so used to living your "independent" life.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM

898 posts, read 937,548 times
Advantage? I mean, I guess it can be convenient if you don't want your partner deeply involved in your life. That, IMO, defeats the purpose of a relationship.

I've been talking to a girl out of state for the past few weeks and things are sort of building up. It's nice to talk to her on the phone because it means that things aren't moving so fast. We are forced to get to know one another on a mental level as opposed to jumping into the physical part right away. In the dating culture today, especially among my fellow Millennials, relationships seem to be pretty fast-paced. Hooking up tends to take priority over getting to know the person. Typically, if you're not bouncing between the sheets by the 2nd or 3rd date, people start to wonder what's going on.

That said, I could not have a LTR that was a long-distance relationship unless I was able to fly or drive back every weekend. But even that would be tough.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think it's true that different people have different levels of comfort with it. My ex-husband was military and would be deployed for a year at a time and I could (and did) easily cope. A lot of times I looked forward with anticipation to the "alone time." And people who marry truckers, deep sea fishermen, etc... anyone who is away for stretches at a time can make it work. But on the other side of the spectrum you have people who don't like it and have a hard time when their significant other goes on a one week conference. I have co-workers whose spouses (or they) are like this. The time apart is unbearable to them.

I sometimes wonder if a lot of how you deal with it depends on how introverted or extroverted you are. I always test on the extreme end of introverted on personality tests. Introverted people "need" time alone, even from loved ones. Extroverted people "thrive" when they are with people, especially loved ones.
I don't fit that. A partner having to leave for a bit to travel isn't horrible. For me, LDR I think if they are constantly away. Don't even live anywhere close. So, if it's constant, then it won't work for me. If it's business trips, then I may be able to shrug that off.

But I am very introvert and possibly shy. I love time alone. I stay with my parents while I get things together for school, and I love it when they're both gone lol There are days my father just randomly takes off work, and stays home, and I can't say I don't get annoyed lol particularly when he's already off Sat and Sun. But apparently, he has to take-off Mon and Fri as well. Or one Thurs, when he stayed home recovering from a hangover.

I like time alone-or maybe it's just with family. With a lover whom you genuinely care for, you are closer to them. They outrank family. So, I wouldn't be happy about them leaving like I am when I am away from family.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
All my relationships were long distance for a portion of the time. I don't really know that I considered any of these things "benefits" or "positives." Missing someone isn't really necessary in a relationship, if you really love someone - you might not really want a life that is separate from them, in a good relationship - you nurture both the physical and the emotional aspects of a relationship, etc.

I think there are ways to make an LDR tolerable but I wouldn't really say that they are beneficial. We used to talk every day and we would try to have one special night every time we saw each other. The special nights were nice - and not something that you necessarily make time for when you see your partner all the time. LDR's are much easier if it is with someone you really love - but I'd take being close over being far away any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships