Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:08 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,877,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is my take on the situation. In the past decades, more and more women have been going to college and slowly climbing up the ladder while some men have fallen through the cracks of things. In the past 40 years economics of the country has changed. Its not the feminist movement that pushed women into the labor market, its economic unraveling such as oil crisis, recessions and the decline of male wages that put women into the work force. Industrial jobs moved out of the North to less unionized South or out of the country as a whole ,while the country shifts to information and service type industries.

One of the big problems is the increase of unmarried is due rising cost of education which can contribute some for holding off marriages or starting families to much later time for both men and women. Women who are educated and career type go for men who are highly sought after by whole bunch of other women making these men settling down a bit elusive while ignoring men who might be economically stable but willing to settle and partner up! Naturally women like to date up, but how can women date up while they are also moving up themselves. A generation ago, women did not have much working options, so finding a man with a stable job or a good job was key to sustainability. Women can pair up with men on their level, but they are not much men on their level. But again I think this survey must have been taken in some careerist type city like DC or San Francisco or NYC which have plenty of educated career singles. So far it looks like being highly educated and overly zealots careered person is having a negative effect on the USA as a whole when it comes to dating, marriage, and family planning.

I don't want to criticize here, but women these days need to be smart about who they go for. Are they willing to go far Max Jensen, a blue eyed Waspy guy with a degree from Baylor and has a corporate job, who gets plenty of attention from all sorts of women, or go for a Joe the Plumber who is family oriented, a great guy to be around and has an college education from a public university. If not join the club of millions of American women who are single past 35 by enjoying a cosmo and cupcakes while making kids become more difficult or join the single moms club!
According to reports, the latest trend is that women are marrying down, and are marrying Joe the Plumber. I've come across about a half dozen cases of that, myself.

You're right about why women entered the labor market in droves. We're lead to believe it was due to the women's movement, but according to economists, it was necessitated by a downshift in the economy. And wages have been stagnant ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 03:30 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,024,613 times
Dont you have any thing else to worry? University degree is not a job guarantee. by the way nothing wrong with looking for spouse with a job any way?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,217,841 times
We have record low numbers of males participating in the labor force

Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,643,033 times
Yep, male participation in the economy has witnessed significant declines. With more and more women being participants, they want someone "on their level" and probably aren't finding it.

The disappearing male worker | Pew Research Center

Wayward Sons: The Emerging Gender Gap in Labor Markets and Education

Old 09-29-2014, 11:38 AM

432 posts, read 492,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
We have record low numbers of males participating in the labor force
I don't know about putting the blame on the unemployed/underemployed. We have serious structural market issues. Some might just say, "Well, just educate yourself and get a job", but if every single person did that, there would still be a deficit on the jobs front. STEM is the only area where there is any real demand.

The issue goes way beyond one gender being somewhat more employable than the other. If you're an educated women with a good job, you'd be understanding and sympathetic to that.

Last edited by variant; 09-29-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 02:05 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,004,708 times
Affirmative action has destroyed the traditional workforce.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,431,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
What I don't get is how are so many men out of work or unemployed? I get that the job market isn't great, especially for those without a university degree, but I'm really not sure if it would entail such high levels of men not being productive members of society.

78 percent of never-married women are looking for a spouse with a job. Finding one might be tricky - Vox

What are your thoughts? Women and men, do you expect your SO to be gainfully employed?

As a young professional who is pretty serious about his career (I'm a workaholic), I would never consider dating someone who isn't working or doesn't place emphasis on their professional career.
My thoughts are.. we live in completely different times.

Globalization and market monopoly, oligarchy, as a whole has systematically changed the landscape of what people call freedom.. and that also includes a multitude of factors in how/what people define as happiness..

It's almost a privilege these days , it seems. It's tough for a lot of people not just single men, single moms, single dads, elderly folks trying to make a dime just to feed themselves, the younger millennia generation..

Lots of people can't make unilateral moves or climb upwards in social mobility when there is an obvious financial disparity.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 PM

48,607 posts, read 35,070,562 times
78% of women say employment would be very important to them.

I'm thinking that number should be higher for men AND women.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,017,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
78% of women say employment would be very important to them.

I'm thinking that number should be higher for men AND women.
your assumption is that men should value an employed partner equally as women, which isn't necessarily the case as i'm sure you know.

do you really want to know how many times i've heard a guy complain about his SO not having a job????

anytime i've heard a guy complain about his SO "not carrying her weight" is because she wasn't werkin it in other aspects of their marriage..... yup, marriage, not dating or bf-gf relationship. i get it that a two income family helps raise the kids and keeps the home, but sometimes that type of relationship can just digress into a joint business venture of raising children at the expense of other marital benefits.

there was a time where i thought a career oriented woman was an attractive quality, but then i dated a few and discovered i liked other feminine qualities. hard to hate me for that when women have a choice in how they pursue their careers, or emphasize their feminine features toward men.

Last edited by Dr. Clean; 09-30-2014 at 01:36 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM

36,792 posts, read 31,072,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
your assumption is that men should value an employed partner equally as women, which isn't necessarily the case as i'm sure you know.

do you really want to know how many times i've heard a guy complain about his SO not having a job????

anytime i've heard a guy complain about his SO "not carrying her weight" is because she wasn't werkin it in other aspects of their marriage..... yup, marriage, not dating or bf-gf relationship. i get it that a two income family helps raise the kids and keeps the home, but sometimes that type of relationship can just digress into a joint business venture of raising children at the expense of other marital benefits.

there was a time where i thought a career oriented woman was an attractive quality, but then i dated a few and discovered i liked other feminine qualities. hard to hate me for that when women have a choice in how they pursue their careers, or emphasize their feminine features toward men.
I guess the reason so many women seem to be looking for a spouse with a job is because there are so many men willing to financially support a non productive and financially deficient wife in favor of feminine qualities while at the same time productive and financially efficient women are not willing to support a non productive husband.
I just wish men would stop complaining about how they are taken to the cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships