Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,751,564 times

Advertisements

Another thread got me thinking. I don't think I've fallen for a friend after knowing them a long time. But I had it happen to 2 of my friends towards me.

First example, I met a girl though a group of friends. She immediately dated one of my friends. We hung out and got along great. They broke up. But we stayed friends. We had a lot of fun together. We never decided to date or talked about that. This went on for a few years. Then out of the blue, we were sitting across from each other and she said she was in love with me.

Another friend I met at a bar. We were playing pool and talking, having a good time. I liked her. We hung out. I went in for a kiss and she rejected me. We became friends and hung out for 4 years. One day out of the blue, she asked if she could be my girlfriend.

Both times I wasn't interested. I guess I moved on.

So, I don't get it. No dating. Such a long time knowing each other and they want to go from friends to "in love" or "girlfriend". Not, "do you want to go on a date?"

Does anyone know why this is? How can people go from a few years of friendship to wanting something pretty serious, without any indication to me that this is developing? I have just one theory, but I want to hear other peoples opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,912,119 times
I usually do like friends.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

Does anyone know why this is? How can people go from a few years of friendship to wanting something pretty serious, without any indication to me that this is developing? I have just one theory, but I want to hear other peoples opinions.
Familiarity. They know you well. One day, it just dawns on them that they always have fun in your company, you're a great guy--honest, respectful and kind, all that good stuff, and it hits them--this is someone in the general ballpark of my ideal guy! This could work! He's been right under my nose all this time!

It just hits, like a bolt from the blue. Or maybe after a few failed relationships, they realize that the (potentially) real deal was their old pal, you. Sometimes this realization happens to both parties at the same time. Other times--not.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
because we yearn for a witness to the life we have lived.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,734,019 times
It had always been one sided with me.

I have had a few confessions from guy friends, but there was only one I liked back and I believe I was the one on the other end. He said he liked me for a long time but I don't think he did. At least not as much as I did.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,283,760 times
There's this long held belief that we get told by our parents/grandparents, that friends make the best mates. Sometimes that's true. We also see it a lot on television shows and movies. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening in real life. Usually it's one person who decides they want the other one, but the friendzone is already well in place.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,213,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
So, I don't get it. No dating. Such a long time knowing each other and they want to go from friends to "in love" or "girlfriend". Not, "do you want to go on a date?"
How often do you interact with these women now?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
How often do you interact with these women now?
We stayed friends for a couple years at least.

One got into a ltr and I moved away. I moved back, but don't have her contact info. We didn't have a falling out. Just life circumstances changed.

I stayed friends with the other girl, but she passed away a couple years ago.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:17 PM

My theory is that both of them got to know me well and I grew on them.

The one who wanted to be my gf, probably wanted a boyfriend at the time. So it was just good timing for her. I said no and she moved onto another friend. But before that she didn't date, that I know of.

The other I had gone on a trip with. She got to spend 24/7 with me for a week and said I was really easy to be with. Maybe that tipped the scales in the right direction.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,124,240 times
Because love is a friendship. Love without friendship is just a sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships