Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 12:40 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
You sure know how to **** people off don't you?

I don't p*ss people off. They let themselves get p*ssed off. People can't make other people feel anything. We own our emotions.

If people don't want advice, then don't post on a public advice and conversation forum. You don't get to pick and choose which advice gets posted.

But recall the saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"? It applies here. If what someone is doing is not working, then it is folly to keep trying the same thing. Do something different. You can't know it isn't for you without trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't p*ss people off. They let themselves get p*ssed off. People can't make other people feel anything. We own our emotions.

If people don't want advice, then don't post on a public advice and conversation forum. You don't get to pick and choose which advice gets posted.

But recall the saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"? It applies here. If what someone is doing is not working, then it is folly to keep trying the same thing. Do something different. You can't know it isn't for you without trying.
Geez get huffy why don't you. I don't mind getting advice however some posters here believe their advice is the be all end all and refuse to see things from others perspectives. They simply do not get that whats possible for them might not be possible for others.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
They simply do not get that whats possible for them might not be possible for others.

They won't know unless they try.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM

545 posts, read 632,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I met a girl in college in exactly that way, and I told her after a few months that I had developed feelings for her. She was not uncomfortable or disgusted, but I was leaving for boot camp in two weeks. Later while in the navy,I got an email from her saying that she wanted to get together over a drink and catch up. That didn't work out because I couldn't tell her in advance if or when the submarine would come into San Diego because that was highly classified information. She is on my Facebook and we talk sometimes but she is busy between work and taking care of her mother, abd she lives in Florida.
Why don't you start a LDR with her and visit? She sounds like your girl.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
They won't know unless they try.
how do you know they are incorrect?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
how do you know they are incorrect?

Huh? If they haven't tried it, they can't say it doesn't work for them.

If someone says they've tried it and it doesn't work, that's fine. But not trying and dismissing it as not working for them is just plain folly.

And continuing on trying a method that you know doesn't work is doubly folly.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Huh? If they haven't tried it, they can't say it doesn't work for them.

If someone says they've tried it and it doesn't work, that's fine. But not trying and dismissing it as not working for them is just plain folly.

And continuing on trying a method that you know doesn't work is doubly folly.
no i meant how do you know their perceptions of their circumstances aren't correct? which would be why they know the advice won't work.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
no i meant how do you know their perceptions of their circumstances aren't correct? which would be why they know the advice won't work.

Again, they don't know, if they don't try. Perceptions, especially ones we self perceive, aren't something to base one's decision on.

Like, I'm not good looking enough to have someone like her interested in me (so I won't try).

I don't earn enough to be able to date someone like that (so I won't try).

I don't have the personality that people would be interested in just after talking for a little while, I have to get to know people slowly for them to like me (so I'm not going to try with this person).

It's true in most every part of life, as in, I'm not going to get that job, so I won't apply for it.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Again, that's just a self defeating defense mechanism. People need to stop being their own worst enemies, which has entirely been my point (and the point of many other people).

They only know it won't work if they've repeatedly tried it and it doesn't work.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Man, you must have tooted a few lines before banging out that screed. Only major anger harassed to some first-class illegal substances could have fueled such an inspired rant. Okay, here you go.

We give advice on this thread. But these idiots either can't a) Look for the appropriate thread on a subject already covered or b) have a major learning disability because they keep doing the same things over and over again expecting different results, or c) too lazy or scared to change.

So now we pretty much just make fun of them and pelt them with rocks and garbage.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ford38 View Post
You left out the most important one some men aren't attractive to women no matter what they do.
That's totally ridiculous. Self pity is ugly stuff, man. Lose some weight, get better clothes, and make yourself a more interesting person to be around. Learn to actually talk to a woman, and quit looking at her as if she were little more than the life support system for a vagina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships