Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 07:55 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,208,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No, self-pity is a form of rampant narcissism, so I pretty much have you nailed.
nope. sorry. missed again. i am none of those things. more baseless assumptions. no time for self pity. i fully concentrate on photography and running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,017,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There have been times in my adult life where I didn't have sex. There was definitely a 1 year plus period, might have been a two year gap actually. So what? I focused on other stuff. No big deal.

People have to get away from thinking they need sex, or need a relationship of some type to be happy or fulfilled. You don't.
the "need" is more than a thought, it's an emotion. and if you have figured it out, please share. because from what i can tell, the desire for human touch is fairly biological and evolutionary. and it you go without it for a while, you become a little "rough around the edges" so to speak

i know monks and others who dedicate their life to a higher being are able to abstain and develop this detachment by perhaps shifting their need for love from another human to a spiritual entity, but i don't think most ppl have the capacity to "cold turkey" on desiring an intimate and/or emotional connection with another person. pets can help i guess.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:48 AM

295 posts, read 308,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
the "need" is more than a thought, it's an emotion.
um,yeah, but emotions give rise to thoughts, and thoughts give rise to emotions. Once we have started to see this, we realize that we can change our thoughts and therefore change our emotions.

Quote:
and if you have figured it out, please share. because from what i can tell, the desire for human touch is fairly biological and evolutionary. and it you go without it for a while, you become a little "rough around the edges" so to speak
What do you mean with "it is evolutionary and biological"? When you say it is "evolutionary" you say, that there is a gene, which encodes for a protein, which activates a cascade in the brain making a human feel the need for "human touch". Makes no sense. "Biological" would basically point in the same direction, so no need to differentiate here. Ever heard of neuroplasticity? Why should one become "a little rough around the edges"? Any proof for this assertion? IMO people who are "rough around the edges" lack human touch a priori.

Quote:
pets can help i guess.
don't think so.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,092,024 times
Quote:
the "need" is more than a thought, it's an emotion. and if you have figured it out, please share. because from what i can tell, the desire for human touch is fairly biological and evolutionary. and it you go without it for a while, you become a little "rough around the edges" so to speak

Thoughts and emotions aren't separate things. You can control your thoughts and a person needs to own their emotions. That is part of maturity.

I like having sex fairly regularly, and last month went through a sudden drastic decrease in frequency. It wasn't fun, but it isn't a big deal. If I spent the next couple of years and didn't have sex at all, I'd be fine. Perfectly fine. Almost everyone would.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,867,115 times
Quote:
There have been times in my adult life where I didn't have sex. There was definitely a 1 year plus period, might have been a two year gap actually. So what? I focused on other stuff. No big deal.

People have to get away from thinking they need sex, or need a relationship of some type to be happy or fulfilled. You don't.
OMG. I'm thinking that I'm developing a bit of a cyber crush on timberline. Is it possible?

Honestly, timber, you throw this out there, and now I'm all discombobulated. You're full of all kinds of surprises, I imagine.

Quote:

i know monks and others who dedicate their life to a higher being are able to abstain and develop this detachment by perhaps shifting their need for love from another human to a spiritual entity, but i don't think most ppl have the capacity to "cold turkey" on desiring an intimate and/or emotional connection with another person. pets can help i guess.
I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying here. Yes, we need touch, and that's a good, healthy thing. But for some of us, quality matters more than quantity. I've always wondered about people who are always - or usually - in relationships. HOW do they manage to ALWAYS meet someone they're attracted to enough and like enough to have a sexual/romantic relationship with? Is it fantastic, incredible luck? HOW on earth is this possible? I rarely meet a guy I like enough to date (AND who's available).

I mean, what do you do if you don't meet anyone for months or even a couple of years who really "grabs" you? (this is my typical pattern). Do you talk yourself into "liking" someone in the meantime? Or, again, is it that you just have FAR better luck than I do?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,083,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
? I rarely meet a guy I like enough to date (AND who's available).
According to some users on this web site, that means you have some kind of mental disorder.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
According to some users on this web site, that means you have some kind of mental disorder.

She said rarely.

Not never in 20 years.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
She said rarely.

Not never in 20 years.
you do remember he put you on ignore right?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
you do remember he put you on ignore right?

So he said. Doesn't matter. He doesn't listen anyway.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
So he said. Doesn't matter. He doesn't listen anyway.
So you will keep talking to one who isn't listening? oddly amusing don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships