Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I hope you included this ^^^ in your profile.
And also the fact that sex is off the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

What? Theyre looking for platonic friends on a dating site?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM

837 posts, read 962,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I'm unsure if that—asexuality or celibacy—is the forbidden subject OP is referencing, or if we're trying to beat around the BDSM bush right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What? Theyre looking for platonic friends on a dating site?
I can't tell if there's any shock or skepticism in your reply over the internet, but some dating sites offer drop-down options for people looking for new friends or no sex. One reason I recommend okcupid personally is because it's a pretty progressive site in having options to cover the gamut of straight, gay, bi, q****, and everything in between.

And of course if you fall into a majority and don't want to meet any non-binary folks, you can personalize your search to exclude them as well.

Last edited by glenmorangie; 11-12-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,606,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I'm unfamiliar with Net Singles.
I've never heard of this one, either. Unless it's one that has recently become popular, I would recommend using a more established site for the sake of having a large and good dating pool.

The ones I used on and off from 2006 to 2012 or so and my degree of success (in terms of both quantity and quality) were eHarmony (great), Match (decent), OKCupid (mediocre), and Plenty of Fish (poor).

I also had moderate success with Hotornot in 2006 or so but didn't stay on there long.

In the early days of Myspace and Facebook (2004-2007 or so) I actually had better luck dating high-quality women off of those sites than I did dating sites, but those days are long gone. People think you're a weirdo or creep if you try that now. People forget that Facebook was basically a hookup site when it started at major colleges in 2004. It was a really good one, too! Then somewhere along the way it turned into a place for grandmas and baby pictures. Tragic.

Quote:
Tamara, I want to offer advice, but I have to tell you that your posts are VERY hard to read.
Ditto. I'm not familiar with her past posts, but this one was odd. I gave up trying to read it after awhile.

Quote:
A lot of what you write comes off as, well, insane. I mean that literally.
Ha. Ouch! I was assuming it was just a case of really poor writing skills, but you may be on to something there.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"Net Singles" is just a phrase.....
It is? It's an odd one, especially since you capitalized it. That's going to make people assume you're referring to a specific site with that name. Just give the name of the site, or say "dating site" or "online dating" if you wish to be generic.

Quote:
I had to call it something.....but I didn't want a whole bunch of people rushing to a certain site looking for my profile.
How would they find your profile, unless you used the name TamaraSavannah there, too?

Don't you WANT people to see your profile, anyway? That's the whole point of being on a dating site.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

Ha. Ouch! I was assuming it was just a case of really poor writing skills, but you may be on to something there.
It's a cumulative effect. You have to know her body of work.

Of course, she read right over it, apparently.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 PM

837 posts, read 962,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
The ones I used on and off from 2006 to 2012 or so and my degree of success (in terms of both quantity and quality) were eHarmony (great), Match (decent), OKCupid (mediocre), and Plenty of Fish (poor).
I've been happy with my experience on okc between 2012-2014 when I was living in Chicago. Funny enough, when I moved to DC and changed my profile's location, things went downhill really quickly. For too many reasons to summarize, but included overall drop in quality of messages and men I considered remotely approachable (and I'm less picky than average when it comes to physical dealbreakers).

It made me realize it might not be possible to provide an accurate, nation-wide general consensus of a dating site. I see success depends heavily on area, and of course on the seeking individual in the context of that area. I was dating a lot of men in the creative field in Chicago, which there are plenty of, and maybe 2% of when compared to DC. My well is dry.

Good to hear you liked eHarmony and Match, though!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Quote:
I hope you included this ^^^ in your profile.
"Serena Complex" is one of those TV references. Ie, from Bewitched, "Serena's Richcraft"

bewitched-8x17-Serena's Richcraft Part 2 - YouTube
(at about 5:40)

More later.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,908 times
For someone who goes on about not knowing anything about TV, you sure identify with TV characters a lot.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
The thing is, I can't go into examples and it is not because of the work, but because it will get me kicked off the forum or even the site.
You think you'll get kicked off of this forum or a dating site for giving examples of things from your dating life? Are all of your examples X-rated or something? I don't understand.

Quote:
Let's look at something very basic. I don't watch TV because I see TV as misleading and misinformative. But so much of the country does watch TV.
I don't watch TV, either, and I never found that to be a problem with online dating. I mean, sure, if someone's entire life revolves around TV, they wouldn't be a good match for me. That's usually something I could figure out from their profile or our early message exchanges, though, and move on to the next person.

Quote:
From that basic angle, yes I am holding something back because to get into this (the trial of the season) or that (another football scandal) is probably bound to accomplish nothing except raised BP's. As oppose to talking about whatever the current event is, I bite my tongue and remain silent.

Life of the, either intentionally or otherwise, terminally clueless.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships