Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times

Advertisements

Why is being a workaholic often seen as a negative thing in the dating market?

I get it, relationships take time and communication, but why is the idea of someone being 'married to their job' seen as a negative.

By 'married to their job', I mean someone who goes above and beyond their normal job duties on a regular basis, and is often spending 10+ hours a day on average working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Well, it doesn't leave much time for your partner at the end of the day. Also, if one is exhausted from the hours, that doesn't help, either.

However, it really depends. I once dated an IT guy who worked about 10 hours a day (not including lunch) three of the five days a week, but he only had a 15-minute commute and was home by 7:15 every day and had plenty of time for dates. Also, he never worked weekends, and once he was off the clock, he was off the clock. Wouldn't even talk about his job because "meh, it's just work."

There is something to be said for someone who will do what it takes to get the job done, but by and large, I don't see it as "going above and beyond." From an employment pont of view, if someone has to work overtime every day, either the office is understaffed, the person is not qualified and can't get 40 hours of work done in 40 hours, the person is not getting paid a fair wage or has overspent and needs the extra pay (for hourly workers), or there is something going on at home that the person is avoiding.

Work to live, not live to work.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 AM

338 posts, read 556,686 times
I can understand it from a female perspective. Women want and need attention in a serious relationship. Not that men don't, but it's a big thing for women.

I have been in this situation before. I am almost thirty and have always been "married to my job". I get in early and usually leave a little late. That's simply because I love what I do. I can be a very romantic guy as well. There have been two women that I've had serious relationships with during my twenties who understood what the difference was. I wasn't actually married to my job just because I'm only focused on making money or moving up the corporate ladder; I am simply passionate about what I do for a living. These two women didn't judge me for my passion, they loved me for it.

There was one woman who I made it known I had feelings for and she explained that she didn't want to be with someone who was married to their job. And I can understand completely. This was after my first serious relationship I mentioned in the paragraph above. So at that point I knew I would find someone who could see the difference between passionate and married to the job. And I did.

Don't worry, you can call me out on sounding like I live in a fairy tale world. I've heard it all before.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
I can understand it from a female perspective. Women want and need attention in a serious relationship. Not that men don't, but it's a big thing for women.

I have been in this situation before. I am almost thirty and have always been "married to my job". I get in early and usually leave a little late. That's simply because I love what I do. I can be a very romantic guy as well. There have been two women that I've had serious relationships with during my twenties who understood what the difference was. I wasn't actually married to my job just because I'm only focused on making money or moving up the corporate ladder; I am simply passionate about what I do for a living. These two women didn't judge me for my passion, they loved me for it.

There was one woman who I made it known I had feelings for and she explained that she didn't want to be with someone who was married to their job. And I can understand completely. This was after my first serious relationship I mentioned in the paragraph above. So at that point I knew I would find someone who could see the difference between passionate and married to the job. And I did.

Don't worry, you can call me out on sounding like I live in a fairy tale world. I've heard it all before.
Not all women, by a long shot. Don't forget, some of us are married to our work, too.

And you're young. Give it another 10 or 12 years. You might very well be wanting to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I'm 48, and as much as I enjoy what I do, I'm beginning to see why the retirement age used to be 55. I'm in decent shape and I take breaks, but just sitting at a desk all day isn't what it was 20 years ago. Ya get creaky!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
"Dating market"?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:34 AM

27 posts, read 28,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Why is being a workaholic often seen as a negative thing in the dating market?
If I meet a workaholic I generally think I've met someone who does not value having balance in their life - which is something I happen to value. So if our values don't match up it is a no-go. A workaholic is making a statement about what they prioritize by dishing out their waking hours to a single (and often self-serving) focus. In addition to not having a values-match, I find that type of single-focus lifestyle to be a big bore. To each their own.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
My husband works for a supervisor who worked long hours due to the fact that he had so much to do on a daily basis.

It got to the point that his wife would call him at work wondering when will he come home.

He was married, and he had an elementary school age daughter.

He had to literally take time off just to spend time alone with his wife and to do what families do.

Earlier this year his wife filed for divorce. One reason was because of his job.

She filed for sole custody of their daughter. She also works.

Last edited by snugglegirl05; 11-23-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Dudes who work 70-90 hours a week 80-90% of the time end up divorcing. No one wants to go out with work voice mail. It's for sure a fine line, but you have to have time for your girlfriend/wife and kids. (don't get me started on these people who don't even have kids)

Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
It's a sign you will:
Ignore your wife: work comes first
Ignore your kids: work comes first
Ignore your relationship: work comes first
Deprive your wife and kids of any form of intimacy: work comes first
Create resentment in your wife and kids,

and a lot of other bad things that will eventually lead to the destruction of your marriage.

But you will still have your work: work comes first.

OR

Marry a Stepford Wife.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Not enough time for the spouse/S/O. For the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships