Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times

Advertisements

As a male teacher in his 40's, I find it increasingly difficult to find women to date me. I don't know if other men teachers have had this problem or not. Several women have told me that my salary is probably a hindrance at my age trying to date women who are close in age who work higher paying corporate jobs or higher paying jobs in general. I have a fairly even tempered personality and decent looks but I really feel that my occupation is hindering me. Do any other people have jobs that hinder your personal life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 02:55 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
No other teachers you can go out with?

Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I've dated a couple of teachers, and I've always thought it was an interesting and respectable and oftentimes thankless job to have. Salary was never really a consideration. Most teachers I know aren't living high on the hog, but they're comfortable.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
are you saying that having a noble profession is a hindrance???

so not only do some women look down on your avg guy with a regular 9-5 blue collar job, now they discriminate against teachers?

perhaps become a tenured college professor

Old 12-14-2014, 03:07 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
I think it is a respectable career.

I have talked to a few teachers, never dated one. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a 40 year old single dad, employed as a teacher, that is looking to have more kids. Good luck with that buddy...

Old 12-14-2014, 03:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You need to circulate more. There are plenty of women out there who don't care about your salary. Maybe try exploring outside of TX. NM is looking for experienced teachers, btw, and a lot of NM women wouldn't have a problem with a teacher's salary. I know teachers in Seattle who are making $90,000. That's a pretty respectable salary. I don't know what teachers in TX make.

Did you post this topic a few months ago in the Education forum? Somebody did. I don't know why male teachers think teaching kills their social life.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I think it is a respectable career.

I have talked to a few teachers, never dated one. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a 40 year old single dad, employed as a teacher, that is looking to have more kids. Good luck with that buddy...
Why the sarcasm? Lots of 40-yr-old guys, 45-yr-old guys have kids in a new marriage.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
I've met 60 year olds with new babies, its not as unusual as you would think.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:21 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
If ur ouside of California, NY, NJ, CT, or D.C., your wage for teaching will most likely be lower than it should be. In my school in California, the average teacher probably makes between 55 and 90k. Not rich, but not really on welfare either.
But there's no surprises going into it, as your year to year salary will clearly be listed on a district website. I say that to say this......if you started teaching in a place where the salary is not so spectacular, you shouldnt even be wondering if your job is an issue with women. You pursued that job because you like the hours or you really like kids. If they can't take an educated man with likely no criminal history, why would you even want to be bothered by such a woman? I've met a couple of women who seemed a little if you wanna say "dissapointed" or "underwhelmed" when i told them what I do, but I could care less. More than likely, I have a better QOL and workday than them and Im not so stressed out. So I feel they're missing out. Thats a woman that wants to be with you for the wrong reasons anyway

And often times, teaching is career change so no shock to see a new teacher in their 30's early 40.

After reading the title, i was actually a little surprised where your post went. I actually thought you were gonna say teaching is hurting your dating life becuz you do alot of after school grading and preparing......not becuz some uppity, nose in the air women are dissatisfied with your profession.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:27 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
The only time I can think of a profession coming in-between dating is if you work 100 hrs a week and/or you have to travel for long extended periods of time. It's not the job, it's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships