Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 AM

203 posts, read 178,688 times

Advertisements

Its obvious, he wants to be committed yet isn't quite ready for marriage. Cant blame the guy, in todays western countries, marriage is a pretty raw deal for any man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM

468 posts, read 485,120 times
zentropa,
OP boyfriend can go find sex somewhere else if he desperate needing sex.

but instead he give her a diamond promise ring, then she is lucky! because if he have money to buy her a diamond ring, then he have money to go find another girl to give him sex.

but we don't know if they have sex or not, waiting for OP come back to answer then we can clearly see a better picture of the possibilities why he give her the diamond promise ring.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,752,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I thought promise rings were something teenagers did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've honestly only ever heard of this concept within the context of people who are considered too young to get married (and, moreover, seem to be much more common among the conservatively religious).

I would assume that, as an adult, if I got a ring from somebody that wasn't an engagement ring, it would just be "Hey, here's some jewelry." Not some type of significant "pre" signifier of some potential future commitment that's not being made just yet.
THIS.

I've never heard of anyone older than a teenager getting or giving a promise ring. Majority of the people I know who ever gave/received one are also fairly conservative Christians and the rings seemed to be tied into promises of chastity (google "Purity Balls" for fun). I've also known a few teenagers and college freshmen using it as a pre-engagement ring -- basically as a stand-in for the more expensive engagement ring they hoped to buy in a few years.

The idea of a 30-something giving another 30-something a promise ring seems awfully strange to me, but to each their own.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,721,809 times
My son is 19 and his girl is 18 and he just recently told me that he is planning on giving her a promise ring and wants me to go with him to help pick it out. They've been dating for over a year now.

I just thought a promise ring was something that the young people did.... but if you are happy OP, then that's good!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
Man. Some poor woman who is over-the-moon comes on here to report a happy event in her life and you guys all crap on her.

I mean, hey, I don't get the promise ring either, but I do understand the happiness that comes from a new romance that looks as if it's going to become something permanent. Some of you really need to understand what's driving her post.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,643,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've read among conservative religious young people, that a "promise ring" is a ring worn by a young woman (or girl) that promises to remain virginal- not a promise involved in relationship. Am I misinformed?
I think that's also known as a purity ring. A commitment on the woman's part to remain "pure".

Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM

290 posts, read 568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
zentropa,
OP boyfriend can go find sex somewhere else if he desperate needing sex.

but instead he give her a diamond promise ring, then she is lucky! because if he have money to buy her a diamond ring, then he have money to go find another girl to give him sex.

but we don't know if they have sex or not, waiting for OP come back to answer then we can clearly see a better picture of the possibilities why he give her the diamond promise ring.
Yes we've had sex prior to him giving me the ring. Sex happened after we became bf/gf. Before we became bf/gf we were going out on dates on and off for about a year. No sex just purely going out on dates. Then he asked me to be his gf. Prior to us going out on dates we weve hung out with other people in a group. My bf is known to be a nice guy by people we know. Our acquaintances have tried to introduced him to their friends because he is such a great catch but my bf is very picky on who to date. He's very old fashion when it comes to dating. For a year that were dating unofficially bf/gf, despite that I vanished sometimes, he's always there for me.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,331,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
Yes we've had sex prior to him giving me the ring. Sex happened after we became bf/gf. Before we became bf/gf we were going out on dates on and off for about a year. No sex just purely going out on dates. Then he asked me to be his gf. Prior to us going out on dates we weve hung out with other people in a group. My bf is known to be a nice guy by people we know. Our acquaintances have tried to introduced him to their friends because he is such a great catch but my bf is very picky on who to date. He's very old fashion when it comes to dating. For a year that were dating unofficially bf/gf, despite that I vanished sometimes, he's always there for me.
So, you've been dating for 17 months, 5 as official BF/GF and 12 as casual dating?

And you've been having sex for 5 months.

And he gave you a promise ring? Hmmmm. Yeah. Ask him what his timetable is.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM

290 posts, read 568,766 times
The one year casual dating was on and off. It was my choice tho. We worked together and I wasnt comfortable dating a coworker so I would turn down his invitations to go out just us together. But hes very persistent that he would plan a night out with other people we know and invite me. Then he quit I think its because of me. We continue to date. Now were bf/gf officially.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,331,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
The one year casual dating was on and off. It was my choice tho. We worked together and I wasnt comfortable dating a coworker so I would turn down his invitations to go out just us together. But hes very persistent that he would plan a night out with other people we know and invite me. Then he quit I think its because of me. We continue to date. Now were bf/gf officially.
What I meant is that he's known you for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships