Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 AM

72 posts, read 67,947 times

Advertisements

I notice alot of relationship help threads with issues with significant other:

It goes something like this:

For example, my girlfriend/boyfriend did X and Y to me. Such as, my girlfriend is always yelling at me. Today, when I got home, she was screaming at me, calling me a loser.

And the responses immediately result is something like "leave him/her. You deserve better" or "what a crazy freak!"

1. Problem is that we are hearing only 1 side of the story. You can conveniently leave out all parts of something. You can conveniently leave the fact that she found out you were cheating on her best friend. Which then perfectly explains the yelling.

2. Did anyone actually take the advice of relationship help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,487,825 times
It's the problem with third party advice in general regardless of topic.

Last edited by rego00123; 01-13-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,314,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FycBST2 View Post

For example, my girlfriend/boyfriend did X and Y to me.

And the responses immediately result is something like "leave him/her. You deserve better" or "what a crazy freak!"

1. Problem is that we are hearing only 1 side of the story.

Unless both people in the relationship are here posting, obviously you will only hear one side.

In my case, for what I have posted, I have most definitely taken peoples here advise under consideration, and have incorporated some of what has been suggested into my life.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,205,513 times
Quote:

For example, my girlfriend/boyfriend did X and Y to me. Such as, my girlfriend is always yelling at me. Today, when I got home, she was screaming at me, calling me a loser.

1. Problem is that we are hearing only 1 side of the story. You can conveniently leave out all parts of something. You can conveniently leave the fact that she found out you were cheating on her best friend. Which then perfectly explains the yelling.

If you look at the replies, which do NOT always default to "leave him/her," you will see that they typically address the unhealthy issues mentioned in the OP and they often pick up on problems not suspected by the OP.

Smart people KNOW these scenarios only represent one perspective. People can only give advice based on what info they are given. I think your observation is based on a short time reading here.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
Here is a thread where no one took the op's "side."

There are several that I have seen
https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...2-teasing.html

Old 01-13-2015, 09:20 AM

72 posts, read 67,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here is a thread where no one took the op's "side."

There are several that I have seen
https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...2-teasing.html

ok that is 1 rare example. But for that 1 rare, I could give you 10 examples that aligns with the OP.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-his-eyes.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...hes-sorry.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...e-him-but.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...r-breakup.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...too-pushy.html

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,205,513 times
Quote:
ok that is 1 rare example. But for that 1 rare, I could give you 10 examples that aligns with the OP.
Sorry, you haven't been here long enough to make that kind of assessment.

(New posters can't post links.)

Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 AM

203 posts, read 178,918 times
The herd isn't always in favor of hearing a different perspective. But to be perfectly honest, I think most that post here look for others peoples opinions and take those with a grain of salt. At least I would hop no one is using the advice found here as a definite plan to resolve their issues.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
It is seriously not rare.

I know I tend to skeptical right off the bat...

You have not been here long enough for a good sample size.

in fact I just told somebody that their husband was right in another thread.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,294,662 times
The problem with this forum, is that some will start threads that deal with the same issue, with the same person. It's almost like they believe that if they start enough threads, that one of them will have replies that they are in favor of. I mean, I can understand if a person wants to vent to a forum about an issue, to get it off their chest. However, I feel that many times when people post, they aren't really asking for advice, but instead they want to get vindicated for their actions. I think rarely do people actually listen to the forums advice, so after so many threads started with the same spirit of topic, that members get a little jaded with their response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships