Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:13 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,452,876 times

Advertisements

Not a sex thread.

The "Red Flags" thread has gotten me thinking.

I recently started dating a really great guy, after several years of being single. He has been single for awhile too, so we are taking things slow and just enjoying getting to know each other. We seem to be on the same page about the important things, but enough different ideas and opinions to keep things interesting.

There is one thing that nags at me just a bit. I know there is a certain amount of what I call "gentle teasing" as people get to know each other, sort of poking a little bit of fun at each other. I don't mind this as long as it stays gentle and kind, but I have seen this go into unkind territory before with some couples and other men I have known. The last guy I dated seriously, his main form of humor was mocking other people (including me) and while it wasn't always mean it sometimes was and he didn't understand if my feelings were hurt. It also turns out he was a deeply insecure person.

Anyway, I mentioned a few weeks ago that I didn't really care for that type of teasing, for the reasons given above. He says he understood and he would watch it, but he also considers it "playful banter." I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I would rather avoid it than feel hurt and have to explain it, or feel like I have to swallow my feelings. As I've said, he hasn't been unkind at all and I've only mentioned it the one time. So whenever it begins I'll just laugh it off a bit and change the subject to something else, or I don't reciprocate with the banter very much.

Now, I know that "guy humor" often revolves around ragging on your guy friends and roundly mocking each other. But I'm not a guy, and I don't want to be treated like a guy, bro, buddy, whatever.

Any advice on making myself a little clearer without coming off wrong?

(I know there will be a certain contingent who will claim that I need to get the stick out of my butt. Noted.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,947,431 times
Nah, no stick out.Some banter is comical wit and yes at times it's taken too far.Good for you standing your ground.He seems like a good guy.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Is it an actual problem yet, or are you just anticipating?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is it an actual problem yet, or are you just anticipating?
I just don't want it to become a problem. I want to be in a relationship where we treat each other with kindness and respect.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,721,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I just don't want it to become a problem. I want to be in a relationship where we treat each other with kindness and respect.
Ever heard the term 'borrowing trouble"? You say your guy hasn't done anything wrong.....but you've already put him on warning that he has to watch everything he says to you.

I agree that relationships need to have kindness and respect but if you can't get over a past idiot...then all you are going to be doing is waiting for the new guy to fail and making sure you find a way to be offended in some manner.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Ever heard the term 'borrowing trouble"? You say your guy hasn't done anything wrong.....but you've already put him on warning that he has to watch everything he says to you.

I agree that relationships need to have kindness and respect but if you can't get over a past idiot...then all you are going to be doing is waiting for the new guy to fail and making sure you find a way to be offended in some manner.
I hardly think mentioning a preference early on in a relationship is putting someone on warning. Geez. Discussing preferences, concerns, desires, etc. are things that happen in mature relationships, rather than expecting the other person to read their mind.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:48 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,721,341 times
Quote:
I hardly think mentioning a preference early on in a relationship is putting someone on warning. Geez. Discussing preferences, concerns, desires, etc. are things that happen in mature relationships, rather than expecting the other person to read their mind.
Talking to your SO is one thing....warning him is another... you continuing to think about this enough you bring it up here...to complain about 'guy humour' .. you are letting everyone know he's on notice not to tease you at all because you are not yet over the past abuse (and yes...I do consider extreme mean spirited teasing to be emotional abuse)...so you are expecting him to repeat the pattern. You are setting him and the relationship up for failure because you are looking to take offense.

So yeah...telling him he has to avoid even 'playful banter' ...especially when you've said he's done nothing wrong....so he doesn't offend you is an issue. Work on overcoming your past rather then expecting your future relationships to tip toe around you.

The red flag I see here is yours....not from a guy that hasn't done anything.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:51 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,143,346 times
I don't understand why you need to be clearer.
You said you don't appreciate it, he said he'd watch it.

Unless that changes & he offends you - I don't see the problem.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,409,463 times
It would be great if we could mold a person exactly how we want them to be.

He has probably been like this for a very long time. We cannot change people, we can only change our reaction to them.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:07 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,163,263 times
Quote:
So far, you are...right? Don't project something onto him that doesn't exist anywhere but in your own mind. It's a sure road to Splitsville.

Enjoy what you have and evaluate him based on your interactions with him, not other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships