Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:37 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,290,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I can see that happening. Then the woman is forced to work 2 jobs to support herself because she didn't further her education after highschool.
I wasn't saying it like that. I was meaning more of she had a corporate job, or owned her own business, but stepped aside on her dreams to help her husband accomplish his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:49 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,760,090 times
Quote:
I can see that happening. Then the woman is forced to work 2 jobs to support herself because she didn't further her education after highschool.
Which would be her own damn fault. There is no excuse for rendering oneself unemployable. Even stay at home moms who quit their jobs have the opportunity (and responsibility, IMO) to keep their professional skills sharp.

3,166 posts, read 3,366,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I wasn't saying it like that. I was meaning more of she had a corporate job, or owned her own business, but stepped aside on her dreams to help her husband accomplish his.
gotcha... Yeah, I've seen women do that when they have children and she decides to be a stay-at-home mom.

Then once the last kid in the family is out of HS., the parents get a divorce. I've seen it happen. My college educated Aunt homeschooled her kids until they were in HS. When the youngest kid was done with school, my Uncle cheated on her and she had to find work to support herself

5,121 posts, read 6,810,844 times
Quote:
I think the OP may mean "give up everything" in the sense of someone sacrificed a whole lot more for the union to work. Say for instance a woman sacrificing her career to see that her husband gets his career, to only be left behind by the younger and "hotter" secretary. Those kinds of "give up everything" scenarios.
That happened to me when I married. My ex was in the military so first I moved on the other side of the country when we married (giving up a very good job I had). I also left behind my family and all my close friends to move someplace I didn't know... and knew no one there. It sucked because he deployed a couple of weeks after our marriage and after I moved out there.

I got a new job and made new friends, but then we moved every two years... meant I had to get a new job every two years too. I also was constantly "giving up" those friends too. His friends were other military guys so they kind of moved around getting orders at the same places--sticking together. I made friends with wives when I could, but a lot of times I had nothing in common with them and eventually all the wives I knew were gone (his friends divorced). I missed out on a lot of things with my family too.

And in the end it never worked and he left me. Oh well. On the bright side, I moved back closer to home and I now have settled in a job where I've finally started moving up the corporate ladder because, for a change, I am not quitting after a couple of years to move to the next duty station.

So I didn't give up everything. I met new people along the way and I stayed true to myself. But I did sacrifice a lot for him.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
gotcha... Yeah, I've seen women do that when they have children and she decides to be a stay-at-home mom.

Then once the last kid in the family is out of HS., the parents get a divorce. I've seen it happen. My college educated Aunt homeschooled her kids until they were in HS. When the youngest kid was done with school, my Uncle cheated on her and she had to find work to support herself
Too often these women find themselves on the pubic dole because they failed to have a contingency plan in the event they found themselves single and self-supporting again.

Or they grab for the nearest male with a job, and we know how well those desperate second marriages turn out.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:53 PM

894 posts, read 1,051,990 times
Quote:
I think the OP may mean "give up everything" in the sense of someone sacrificed a whole lot more for the union to work. Say for instance a woman sacrificing her career to see that her husband gets his career, to only be left behind by the younger and "hotter" secretary. Those kinds of "give up everything" scenarios.
That's what happened in the Betty Broderick murder case. She worked two jobs to put hubby through law school and med school and he dumped her for his bimbo secretary.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,062,917 times
Quote:
I know a woman who had like a Masters degree in her home country but she gave it all up to come to the USA and marry an American citizen. Her "credential" was not recognized in the US, she basically went from being a "assistant Dean at a private school" to being a housekeeper making 33% of her former income. But she still had like 4 kids and lived happily ever after, I think.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,290,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
That's what happened in the Betty Broderick murder case. She worked two jobs to put hubby through law school and med school and he dumped her for his bimbo secretary.
It happens on both sides of the coin too. I know two women who loved the men they were married too, but over the years hated the weight they gained and the difficulties their marriages were having. Both got gastric bypass surgery and one has divorced her husband and the other is about to do the same. It's not that their marriage was perfect at that point, but the rapid weight loss pushed them to get back into the dating scene. The men that didn't pay attention to them before, were paying attention to them now. A marriage that was on rocky ground, but salvageable, was no longer worth it when they felt they could "trade up".

Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
It happens on both sides of the coin too. I know two women who loved the men they were married too, but over the years hated the weight they gained and the difficulties their marriages were having. Both got gastric bypass surgery and one has divorced her husband and the other is about to do the same. It's not that their marriage was perfect at that point, but the rapid weight loss pushed them to get back into the dating scene. The men that didn't pay attention to them before, were paying attention to them now. A marriage that was on rocky ground, but salvageable, was no longer worth it when they felt they could "trade up".
That's happening right now with a woman I know. She lost 100 lbs and wants to divorce her husband, but because she has never worked and has no employment prospects, she can't afford to!

People are weird.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
How many of you have been in those types of relationships, where you gave up everything for your partner? Or you know of people who have done this before? What do you think of the people who do these things?
Honestly, I don't think about it, but clearly you have an opinion. What do YOU think about it, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships