Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times

Advertisements

Never. I've dated two, and while they were both very nice people, they just never - ever - knew how to turn it off. They were always poking, analyzing, observing, looking for hidden motivations, whatever. Drove me nuts. They never relaxed and just took experiences as they came; every single thing had to be analyzed and broken down and interpreted.

It all became so tiresome and predictable... every single thing we did or talked about, I would just brace myself and say, "Ok, that was fun; now here comes the part where we friggin' analyze it."

For a while I thought it was just me - that I'd happened to draw two weird psycholgists. But then my best friend went head over heels for a psychologist he met on the internet, and she was just a straight-up nutcase. Poke, poke, poke... prod, prod, prod... twist this, tweak that, see what happens... every single interaction she had with another human being, she was observing them to see how they reacted. She'd stare at people like they were bugs in a jar. She couldn't let anyone be; she had to constantly be pushing them to do or say something so she could observe them. Even the most casual, innocent conversation was peppered with questions like "Why do you say that," or "How did it make you feel when that happened," or quips like "That's almost diagnosable, you know" that didn't really sound like they were jokes.

I remember one morning at breakfast, when we were all waking up gradually and having a quiet, peaceful morning, and there was a period of a couple of minutes where nobody said anything. I was struck by the expression on her face - everyone at the table was relaxed and smiling, except her; she looked forlorn, desolate, empty, sad almost to the point of being griefstricken, and I realized this was the first time I'd ever seen her silent and disengaged from the people around her, just inhabiting her own space all by herself. About the moment I made that realization, her face suddenly lit up like a flashlight, and she grabbed some utensils that were on the table. "Here," she said. "Let's all arrange these in a way to represent how we're feeling this morning." Suddenly she was alive, happy, full of energy, because she had An Experiment To Conduct.

"No," I said. "Let's not." She was taken aback, and seemed very uncomfortable. She didn't know how to react, and she asked some pointed question to pry into why I didn't care to do a Rorschach test with the silverware. At that point, I'd had enough of her, and was in no mood for any more of this foolishness. I said, "This food is delicious, it's a beautiful morning, the sunlight is gorgeous in the backyard, and the birds are singing; let's just let breakfast be breakfast, and not try to amplify it into some larger, more meaningful experience. OK?" She was shocked, and come to think of it, I think that was the last time she even spoke to me. That was about 15 years ago. She doesn't seem comfortable around me, and that's fine with me, because I can't stand her company at all.

So no, no more psychologists for me. Between my friend and me, psychologists are 0 for 3. I'm sure there are a lot of psychologists who aren't anything like that, but those experiences were enough to make me never want to try another one. I think it's the only profession that I would never date, under any circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:30 AM

743 posts, read 831,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
What a bizarre mindset. Therapeutic massage isn't sexual. That makes about as much sense as not wanting to date a physician because they see other people's genitals.
Being that only male doctors generally see a man's genitals and vice versa, I'd have to say that is a bad comparison. Unless your partner is bisexual, then you've opened a new can of worms.

I certainly wouldn't want my woman rubbing on strange men all day. What she sees as therapeutic could be very much sexual for them. Not that it really matters, since massage therapists are only .00001 of the population. I'm not exactly crossing too many people off of my dating list there.

Here is where I'll narrow it down: No bartenders ever, and no waitresses unless it is a classy establishment. That just eliminated 25% of the women around my age

The psych major girls in school were so annoying with their little analysis crap when they really didn't know much at all. They truly thought taking a few classes gives them vision of the inner workings of the brain. That takes much more studying than a 4 year degree. I knew a couple that weren't overbearing like that though. Our personalities just didn't mesh so the friendships didn't last. Well one was looking for a hookup and I wasn't, but such is the life of a free spirited new age college girl.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:12 AM

321 posts, read 372,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Being that only male doctors generally see a man's genitals and vice versa,
You're kidding, right?

There are plenty of male gynecologists, and I'm pretty sure I've had as many female medical professionals see my johnson as male medical professionals. In what medical world do you think only men treat men and only women treat women? You seem to have a rather ham-fisted, dim-witted, flat-out inaccurate, and insecure view of the medical world, therapeutic massage, psychology, and relationships, among other things.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM

321 posts, read 372,011 times
Quote:
The psych major girls in school were so annoying with their little analysis crap when they really didn't know much at all. They truly thought taking a few classes gives them vision of the inner workings of the brain. That takes much more studying than a 4 year degree.
Exactly. Which is why psychologists and psychiatrists have far more than a four year degree. Please don't confuse either with undergrad psych majors.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 PM

743 posts, read 831,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
You're kidding, right?

There are plenty of male gynecologists, and I'm pretty sure I've had as many female medical professionals see my johnson as male medical professionals. In what medical world do you think only men treat men and only women treat women? You seem to have a rather ham-fisted, dim-witted, flat-out inaccurate, and insecure view of the medical world, therapeutic massage, psychology, and relationships, among other things.
I'm not a woman so I don't care about gynecology. I have never in my life had a female check out my privates. There has always been a male that had to do it.

I take it you're a pseudo psychologist if you're putting labels on me because I don't want my girl rubbing on people all day. It really isn't a big deal. Everyone has little preferences. If you're going to spend time attacking me, perhaps you should also respond to every single person in this thread for their preferences as well.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
No way. All the psychologists I've ever known were seriously screwed up people. Plus they tend to scrutinize every single thing you say or do.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,202 times
I mean, every psychologist is different, but I'm not sure I'd want to date one by choice. I could imagine getting into an argument, and having her scrutinize my body language, or what I say like crazy. Definitely couldn't deal with that.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:34 AM

519 posts, read 776,763 times
Being a psychologist doesn't mean anything. What a silly question.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
Hell, no. My impression is that, while they may be able to help other people, they can't help themselves.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Being that only male doctors generally see a man's genitals and vice versa, I'd have to say that is a bad comparison. Unless your partner is bisexual, then you've opened a new can of worms.
I would say your medical experience is not the norm.

Quote:
The psych major girls in school were so annoying with their little analysis crap when they really didn't know much at all. They truly thought taking a few classes gives them vision of the inner workings of the brain. That takes much more studying than a 4 year degree. I knew a couple that weren't overbearing like that though. Our personalities just didn't mesh so the friendships didn't last. Well one was looking for a hookup and I wasn't, but such is the life of a free spirited new age college girl.

Psychologists do have more than a four-year degree. A bachelor's degree in psych does not = "psychologist."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships