Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i would, but if she started psychoanalyzing me, i would mess with her mind constantly.
It's always funny when psychoanalysis comes up like it's a common contemporary counseling procedure, when in reality, it hadn't been the standard for decades upon decades. It would be the equivalent of envisioning the standard physician experience to be that of a kindly older gent with a black bag of instruments who wears a head mirror and takes your temperature with a mercury thermometer.

I get that people use "psychoanalysis" colliquially, as a catch-all term for, I guess, mental health counseling as a whole, but really, it IS a very specific therapeutic approach that is largely in and of itself a historical artifact. While elements of psychodynamc theory have absolutely played a role in the development of current therapeutic techniques, you are going to be hard pressed to find practitioners of classic Freudian psychoanalysis in modern times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
I've dated psychologists. Both were likely nuttier than any of their patients.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I think it would be fun. How about you?
Why not?

Old 02-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You do know that psychologists don't have patients, "nutty" or otherwise, correct?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 PM

530 posts, read 902,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think you should definitely see a psychologist.
LOL --- an apparently not

Old 02-14-2015, 11:50 PM

321 posts, read 372,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You do know that psychologists don't have patients, "nutty" or otherwise, correct?
Yes they do. Some use the term "client," but actually many use the term patient, particularly in the medical/hospital setting.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:51 PM

321 posts, read 372,403 times
Quote:
I would say your medical experience is not the norm.
That's an understatement.

Quote:
Psychologists do have more than a four-year degree. A bachelor's degree in psych does not = "psychologist."
Exactly. Same with psychiatrists.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TabulaRasa again."

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 AM

It's semantics, but I am personally of the school of thought that there is significantly different connotation between "client" and "patient." Also, for accuracy's sake, I'm not comfortable calling somebody my patient unless I have a medical, dental, or optometric degree or licensure. If I'm not a doctor (excluding the academic designation, obviously) nurse, or tech, I don't have patients.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Quote:
Another reason not to date one, condescension.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:01 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
I've heard psychologists are wacky because they do it to fix themselves. I've considered pursuing the study myself and I'm a bit wacky too. So maybe two wacky people would be fun. I've only ever had one therapist who was a psychologist in study. When we got to the point of where I thought to myself, "I think I'm paying her to be my friend!" I had to end the sessions. I actually did like her as a person. Or at least the person she presented to me. But that's their line of business and they have to be good at it or not get paid.

I knew this guy who was divorced and remarried a marriage counselor. He still griped about his ex wife for years after the divorce, and he was always hitting on this one "crazy eyes" in the office. I'm thinking his wife wasn't a good therapist, or perhaps she was mere human like the rest of us.

Eh. Try it anyhow. If it doesn't work out, maybe I could get a couple free sessions. If not that, a good referral? If neither of that, then I'm not as wacky as I thought because it would be unprofessional of him to not refer me for help.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships