Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I like people that come into a public restroom on the phone or answer it when they are in a stall. YIKES! I always make sure to flush the toilet a couple of times just for good measure. If mine rings when I'm in there and I can reach and push the "busy" button I will but I won't answer it while I'm in a bathroom stall.
I hate it too. I was in a stall one day when some lady walked into the bathroom and said "Hello" and I said hello back to her because I thought she was just saying hello to whoever happened to be in the bathroom. I felt like a dip-wad (that's a new term, by the way!). But I guess it really wasn't my fault.

I also hate it when people are talking on their blue tooth ear piece and I think they are talking to me because I can't see the blue tooth on the other side of their friggin' head! That also makes me feel kinda stupid whe I start answering them and they aren't talking to me.

I think I need to get a whistle too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 PM

217 posts, read 879,296 times
I would have kept my mouth shut, but it is annoying to hear the intimate details of a conversation. I remember hearing a conversation at a rest stop/welcome center and this guy was talking so loud on his cell about personal matters (marital problems, car trouble). It was like he wanted everyone to hear about his problems.

It seems like as society advances, people are becoming less polite and being crude is more acceptable now.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yesterday I was sitting peacefully in a book store looking at a magazine and a lady sits right next to me and takes out her cell phone and makes a call. Then she gets into a long emotional conversation that involved screaming, crying and complaining. It was quite an emotional but entertaining phone call. I felt like I was in soup opera.

I kept sitting there until she finally ended the call and then turned to her and said, "you sure lead an interesting life, that was quite a phone call!" She then turned to me and started screaming that I was invading her privacy. I told her that she was in a public place and everyone near by was listening to her call. Then she stormed off.

I suspect in her twisted mind, she is convinced I am wrong and should not have made a comment to her. What do you think?

God, and I'm sorry to say this, but I hate people with cell phones, they ought to get them surgically implanted in their ears....

How come it's ok, when I'm out to dinner, or even in a movie theator, and people have the odasity to use them...how rude...it infringes on my personal space and consentration when I'm out in public, in a library, grocery store and just want to think? Sheesh, not to mention the amount of people who drive so badly due to talking on the phone, they drive slow, all over the road and come close to side swiping other cars. I go outside for break just to sit and rest and get away from it all, and someone's on the phone, or I'm working and trying to concenstrate, and someone walks down the hall talking very loudly on their cell phones....I really hate them...and would love nothing more then to grab that darn thing out of their hands and throw it under a car.....period....

How rude of them, and simply ridiculous that people have become so dependant on a thing, at every one else's cost.

whew...thanks so much for this thread and getting this off my chest.....oh, and even if they out law cell phones while driving, who is going to enforce it, you hardly ever see a cop on the roads any longer, as they are so understaffed.

wouldn't ya just love to smack em upside the head and say..."WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?" People today do not care about the privet space of others or how they are affecting others, it ireally stresses me out when I'm so trying to relax.

Sheesh, I hate cell phones...I really do.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
creme-

Clarify, please. How do you really feel about cell phones?! LOL

Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
creme-

Clarify, please. How do you really feel about cell phones?! LOL
Whew......I guess she really got THAT off her chest....LOL.

I like cell phones.....because that's pretty much the only phone I have, and also use it to access the Internet.
But, I don't use it while I am driving......and I am considerate of others.
I don't want to air my dirty laundry, making people uncomfortable, or "invate" so to speak.

Yeah, I understand some people not being fond of cell's...but, in my case, I am working so much, that pretty much the only way to get in touch with me is on my cell phone.
But, like I've said....I do follow rules, and draw the line somewhere! ("Don't do anything to others, you wouldn't want to have done to yourself"...kind of thing)

I am raised good, and do mind my manners, even if it is cell phone etiquette!
Thanks mom and dad! LOL

Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
I used to think a cell phone was a ridiculous gadget. Nobody needs to carry their phone around with them. But then we got them and now we can't get along without them.

We recently built our retirement house about a thousand miles away in another state. I made many trips up there to take care of real estate and construction details, and now I drive stuff up to make the final move easier.

My wife has to stay home because of her job and I can keep in contact with her during the trip, and, I have a phone to take care of business when I am at the new house which doesn't have a phone yet.

Last year, I fell in the garage and broke my leg. For some reason I didn't have my phone in my pocket and had to drag myself into the kitchen where I was able to knock the phone off the wall with a broom and call 911.

The ordeal would have been a lot easier if I had my phone, so I ALWAYS carry it with me now.

I recently bought a device that clips on the visor in my truck. It has a speaker and microphone built in so when my phone rings I just press a button on the device and I can talk and listen. The sound quality is good and I don't have to hold anything in my hand or have anything on my ear.

I love my cell phone.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
that has to be one of my pet peeves of all time, people in restuarants (or other public places) talking on the cell phone. Have you noticed they talk LOUDER into the phone than to the person at their table, so the voices carry all over the place. I hate it.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I used to think a cell phone was a ridiculous gadget. Nobody needs to carry their phone around with them. But then we got them and now we can't get along without them.

We recently built our retirement house about a thousand miles away in another state. I made many trips up there to take care of real estate and construction details, and now I drive stuff up to make the final move easier.

My wife has to stay home because of her job and I can keep in contact with her during the trip, and, I have a phone to take care of business when I am at the new house which doesn't have a phone yet.

Last year, I fell in the garage and broke my leg. For some reason I didn't have my phone in my pocket and had to drag myself into the kitchen where I was able to knock the phone off the wall with a broom and call 911.

The ordeal would have been a lot easier if I had my phone, so I ALWAYS carry it with me now.

I recently bought a device that clips on the visor in my truck. It has a speaker and microphone built in so when my phone rings I just press a button on the device and I can talk and listen. The sound quality is good and I don't have to hold anything in my hand or have anything on my ear.

I love my cell phone.
I'd like to have something in my car too that is hands free that I can actually hear. I have trouble hearing the phone if I put it on speakerphone because it cuts out if the person on the other end of the phone talks at the same time I talk, or just because of road noise and stuff, I can't hear. If there is something out there that has good sound quality and volume, I am interested!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

...I'd like to have something in my car too that is hands free that I can actually hear...
The thing I got is called a Jabra SP500. I got it on Amazon last month for $25 but I see it has gone up to $35, and one place is selling it for over a hundred.

It has a rechargeable battery and comes with cables that can recharge from both AC and 12VDC. It also comes with a clip for the visor, and a suction cup deal if you want to mount it on the window.

My cell phone has voice dial, which I never use, but in this case it's really handy as all I have to do to make a call is reach up and press the button on the Jabra and say "Home" and it will dial my home phone. If I say my wife's name, it will dial her cell phone.

Your phone has to have Bluetooth to use it, but most recent phones do.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I got a Jabra for Christmas. The one I have is for the car or desk and has a visor clip. It's great and I can use my bluetooth earpiece when I am not in the car- my phone finds the Jabra when it is on or the bluetooth if that is on.

I also got a GPS for Christmas and let me tell you, it's one of those things that you never miss untill you have one. I love it.

Now I need a special case or something to stow them and take them with me every time I leave the car- so many gadgets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships