Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,195 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was sitting peacefully in a book store looking at a magazine and a lady sits right next to me and takes out her cell phone and makes a call. Then she gets into a long emotional conversation that involved screaming, crying and complaining. It was quite an emotional but entertaining phone call. I felt like I was in soup opera.

I kept sitting there until she finally ended the call and then turned to her and said, "you sure lead an interesting life, that was quite a phone call!" She then turned to me and started screaming that I was invading her privacy. I told her that she was in a public place and everyone near by was listening to her call. Then she stormed off.

I suspect in her twisted mind, she is convinced I am wrong and should not have made a comment to her. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
I guess you should not have made a comment but you're right, she's in a public place so too damn bad for her! This is one reason I hate cell phones and will never own one! I despise having to listen to people yakking all over the place. I've managed to live 54 years without one and will manage to do so with whatever years I have left. They have a place in case of emergencies but it seems people would go crazy without them now. It's out of hand IMHO.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yesterday I was sitting peacefully in a book store looking at a magazine and a lady sits right next to me and takes out her cell phone and makes a call. Then she gets into a long emotional conversation that involved screaming, crying and complaining. It was quite an emotional but entertaining phone call. I felt like I was in soup opera.

I kept sitting there until she finally ended the call and then turned to her and said, "you sure lead an interesting life, that was quite a phone call!" She then turned to me and started screaming that I was invading her privacy. I told her that she was in a public place and everyone near by was listening to her call. Then she stormed off.

I suspect in her twisted mind, she is convinced I am wrong and should not have made a comment to her. What do you think?

People are so rude anymore. I hate having to listen to peoples conversations.

What did people do before cell phones? Wait around their houses for phones to ring .

I just don't get it. I have a phone for emergencies but I don't like to talk on it out in public. I thought about doing away with my landline and just use a cell because it would be cheaper but I don't want people to be able to contact me at all times.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,277 times
this could easily go in the most annoying thread too !
People who stand at the checkout counters and *** on their phone while the clerk is tryng to give them service. In the meantime they hold up the entire line emptying their cart with one hand, writing a check with the phone cradled, getting out their ID with one hand....*** *** *** for all to hear. Ugh !

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I like to wait until they ask the person they're talking a question and then answer it. When they get irritated I tell them that if they are rude enough to have a personal conversation in public than I'm allowed to enter into it.

Something else that works nicely, but might get you into trouble with others, is a police whistle. They really are obnoxious when heard over a phone. Just carry one with you and when someone is on a cell call tying things up, pull it out and get as close to the caller as you can. Blow the whistle. When everyone asks what the heck you're doing apologize and say you thought the little ball was stuck, and you thought you'd loosen it by blowing. Act very innocent. The person on the other end of the call will not be happy.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
I love it! I think I will try that.

A couple weeks ago I was getting breakfast and this guy is on the phone telling someone that his wife wants him to move back in and then about Kim calling him and asking to go out. He was wearing a service-type shirt with the company name on it, I was tempted to call anonymoulsy and stir things up.

I'm gonna try your appoach and see how it goes!

Tek- I would love to see someone try the police whistle approach, but that would not be me!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Here's what you do in the future...

pull out your own phone and pretend to make a call to a friend etc. Then start telling your "friend' about the A$$ whole next to you and begin repeating their conversation to your friend...it won't take long for the AH next to you to get furious and storm off.... mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post

Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Here's what you do in the future...

pull out your own phone and pretend to make a call to a friend etc. Then start telling your "friend' about the A$$ whole next to you and begin repeating their conversation to your friend...it won't take long for the AH next to you to get furious and storm off.... mission accomplished
Wow! A new one to try!

I like it!!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:24 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
On the LIRR, many people try to sleep in the mornings , especially. Often (the same ) person talks loudly about his night before, often name-dropping places & people.

We had such a wonderful time at Jerry's place in the Hamptons. Aren't their children just the cutest?

Then, he sort of pauses , as if to wait for everyone to look up at him in wonder.

YEECH!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
I had something similar happen to me in a very public fast food restaraunt with lots of kids in the vicinity. The call wasn't exactly PG rated. I turned to the woman after she hung up, and asked if she was majoring in Sex Education. I then glanced around at the restaraunt full of kids!

I don't think she finished her meal before heading quickly out the door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships