Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Child support is paid when there is a custodial parent and has nothing to do with collecting welfare reimbursements. My question was where do they collect for welfare from the noncustodial parent.

Ex: Guy and girl make $15K each. Girl gets pregnant and now qualifies for WIC, SNAP, EITC, child credits, Medicaid, Pell grants, free school lunches, head start, and child care (where available). Guy pays $3K in CS. According to the other poster the county will also come after the guy for the $10K+ in welfare bennies.
I'm talking about reimbursement for welfare checks, as you originally stated. I don't know if the county goes after non-custodial for WIC, SNAP, child care, or Medicaid. EITC, child credits, Pell grants, free school lunches, and head start have nothing to do with the county.

Typically the collection is done via wage garnishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
No, if a woman on welfare chooses not to file for child support, the state will on her behalf to try to recoup their losses.

But only if she doesn't go after him for support. You're right he doesn't have to pay twice.
That's not what we were talking about though. Most states have the authority to offset at least some welfare with the CS payments, but the other poster said the state will come after the non custodial parent for welfare reimbursements.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:27 PM

535 posts, read 515,808 times
Test test test test. Get a test.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:30 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm talking about reimbursement for welfare checks, as you originally stated. I don't know if the county goes after non-custodial for WIC, SNAP, child care, or Medicaid. EITC, child credits, Pell grants, free school lunches, and head start have nothing to do with the county.

Typically the collection is done via wage garnishment.
The county isn't going to have anything to do with most welfare programs as most programs are federal, but still...

Where do they go after the non custodial father for reimbursement and if you aren't talking about WIC, SNAP, child care, Medicaid, etc. what are you talking about?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
Yes, that is what I said because it COULD be his kid. if it IS, then he would probably feel like crap because he didn't support a kid that was his beforehand. What are you saying?! Don't do ANYTHING until the exact moment that he knows, when he could have already been taking care of his business?? So you would be okay with NOT helping a pregnant mother of a kid that may or may not be yours, and then later you find out it IS yours but you haven't a thing for it? So now you haven't been there throughout the pregancy, haven't called, haven't done anything only to find out later that the kid actually IS yours. If that's okay with you, fine! Do you and move around.

Huh?
Stop hyperventilating.
Reading comprehension is your friend.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,090 times
I cannot get over all the posters on here advising "tell her get an abortion" ; "put it up for adoption", etc.
It is unsure if you are even the father. It is her body, she is carrying the baby and the decision when the father is determined should be up to the parents, not a bunch of strangers on a board.

OP, you sound like you are choosing not to worry yourself sick over it. You have said you will help provide for it if it is yours. That is great that you are not throwing a fit and calling her a liar as well as a host of other names. There are quite a few men who probably would be doing just that.

And I'll just bet that the majority of people on here who ranted about you not having "safe sex" probably do not have a 100% track record of doing so themselves.

Good luck to you, OP.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:02 PM

914 posts, read 766,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Huh?
Stop hyperventilating.
Reading comprehension is your friend.
I can't believe I actually wasted my time on this convo. Take care

Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM

378 posts, read 441,686 times
Default "The Results are in..."

Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The county isn't going to have anything to do with most welfare programs as most programs are federal, but still...

Where do they go after the non custodial father for reimbursement and if you aren't talking about WIC, SNAP, child care, Medicaid, etc. what are you talking about?
Funding for welfare comes from the federal government, but the program is administered at the county level. To sign up for welfare, you go to your county's social services department.

I'm talking about welfare checks. You stated tell her she will be a single mother on welfare. Isn't drawing a welfare check what you meant by that?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM

833 posts, read 657,867 times
OP I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. You appear to have more maturity than some posters here. Those who advise you to wrap up and all that should explore their own narrow misses . I agree it was a mistake but you are human.
Stressful time for you and her but keeping calm will only help.

Good luck. Let testing prove the paternity. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships