Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
I always try to be respectful of people. I'm a nice guy family oriented looking for something serious and wanna get married and have kids and stuff. I don't see why it's such a big deal I don't see the point on being able to talk when I'm at the store or driving. If we make plans i call before I leave. The fact that you said "OP is so rare" depresses the hell out of me. Is valuing normal communication and not needing constant connections that rare. Maybe I need to move to a 3rd world country where they are happy just to have electric and won't get so bent over stupid stuff like this LOL jk
You don't feel like you are rare? I'm not saying that it's bad - but it is rare. You are 22? Do you really remember a time when most people didn't have cell phones? Because ever since I was about your age - pretty much every person I've known has had one and I'm 38.

If you make an effort to be somewhat accessible - then that's good. My ex used to show up 30-40 minutes late to meet me sometimes and I had no way to get in touch with him to find out when he was going to show up. He also lived with his parents and I couldn't call after 10pm - so if he was going to call me that night when he got back from hanging out with his friends, I had to wait and worry until he would call. He also knew that I'm a huge worrier and that if he told me he was going to call me that night - I couldn't go to sleep until I had talked to him and knew he was okay. He'd tell me he'd call me by midnight but would sometimes not call until 3am. And I'd be wide awake and afraid that he had been in an accident. So I would be hesitant to get involved with someone that didn't make an effort to be somewhat accessible to me. I'm not talking about being around 24/7 at a moment's notice - but someone who didn't make me feel like I was a nuisance because I like hearing from my partner more than just at select times on certain days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM

140 posts, read 267,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You don't feel like you are rare? I'm not saying that it's bad - but it is rare. You are 22? Do you really remember a time when most people didn't have cell phones? Because ever since I was about your age - pretty much every person I've known has had one and I'm 38.

If you make an effort to be somewhat accessible - then that's good. My ex used to show up 30-40 minutes late to meet me sometimes and I had no way to get in touch with him to find out when he was going to show up. He also lived with his parents and I couldn't call after 10pm - so if he was going to call me that night when he got back from hanging out with his friends, I had to wait and worry until he would call. He also knew that I'm a huge worrier and that if he told me he was going to call me that night - I couldn't go to sleep until I had talked to him and knew he was okay. He'd tell me he'd call me by midnight but would sometimes not call until 3am. And I'd be wide awake and afraid that he had been in an accident. So I would be hesitant to get involved with someone that didn't make an effort to be somewhat accessible to me. I'm not talking about being around 24/7 at a moment's notice - but someone who didn't make me feel like I was a nuisance because I like hearing from my partner more than just at select times on certain days.
Yeah I know statistically I am rare but yeah my friends didn't have cell phones till we were about 15 my friend had a Motorola Razor and we all thought he was so cool and bugged him to use it constantly. I always try to be reasonable and if I say I'm gonna call you I'll call you, the thing is people don't wanna call they want to text and I don't do that. Do you really need to hear from someone every day? If I have an arraignment to call you I will and if you call me I will answer, or if I am not home you can leave a message and I will call you back (but no one will leave a message anymore. Girl told me she called me and i told her I was at work when she called and she got mad that I didn't call her back...but I had no idea she called because she didn't leave a message on the machine). Also if I am working then I go food shopping or out to do something and get home and tired I will call you the next day but people these days wanna hear from you now!

Old 03-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know statistically I am rare but yeah my friends didn't have cell phones till we were about 15 my friend had a Motorola Razor and we all thought he was so cool and bugged him to use it constantly. I always try to be reasonable and if I say I'm gonna call you I'll call you, the thing is people don't wanna call they want to text and I don't do that. Do you really need to hear from someone every day? If I have an arraignment to call you I will and if you call me I will answer, or if I am not home you can leave a message and I will call you back (but no one will leave a message anymore. Girl told me she called me and i told her I was at work when she called and she got mad that I didn't call her back...but I had no idea she called because she didn't leave a message on the machine). Also if I am working then I go food shopping or out to do something and get home and tired I will call you the next day but people these days wanna hear from you now!
I mean - everything depends on the people involved and the situation. Someone that I'm casually dating, I don't need to talk to them everyday. Someone that I'm in love with - yeah, I want to hear their voice everyday.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I mean - everything depends on the people involved and the situation. Someone that I'm casually dating, I don't need to talk to them everyday. Someone that I'm in love with - yeah, I want to hear their voice everyday.
Even if you know that they are busy?

Is that like a trust thing? That people are so used to constant communication now that if their boyfriend doesn't answer they assume something is wrong ?

It's really sad. I would rather be alone than be beholden to technology like an electronic leash

Old 03-07-2015, 04:55 PM

37,772 posts, read 46,260,918 times
Quote:
I always try to be respectful of people. I'm a nice guy family oriented looking for something serious and wanna get married and have kids and stuff. I don't see why it's such a big deal I don't see the point on being able to talk when I'm at the store or driving. If we make plans i call before I leave. The fact that you said "OP is so rare" depresses the hell out of me. Is valuing normal communication and not needing constant connections that rare. Maybe I need to move to a 3rd world country where they are happy just to have electric and won't get so bent over stupid stuff like this LOL jk
I don't think it is. Seriously. It isn't. I think you are in the minority, for sure, but I also think that is a good thing. A great thing, actually.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Even if you know that they are busy?

Is that like a trust thing? That people are so used to constant communication now that if their boyfriend doesn't answer they assume something is wrong ?

It's really sad. I would rather be alone than be beholden to technology like an electronic leash
It has nothing to do with technology. I'm not talking about constant communication. When I am in love with someone, I want to talk to them every day. I didn't say I wanted to talk to them all day every day. When my husband and I were dating - and even after we were married - we spent a lot of time apart. We both needed to hear each other's voice everyday. We also like to hear how each other's day was and share our day with them. If I'm casually dating someone - I don't need that. But even now, if my husband and I are apart, we make time to talk every day at least once.

I know where my husband is pretty much every second of the day. I don't bother him when he's busy. And if he happens to be busy when I do call or text - I know that he'll get back to me when he can. That's how it was when we were dating, too.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
My son didn't get one until he was 16, so hell you were ahead of him. And he is 22 also, by the way.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with technology. I'm not talking about constant communication. When I am in love with someone, I want to talk to them every day. I didn't say I wanted to talk to them all day every day. When my husband and I were dating - and even after we were married - we spent a lot of time apart. We both needed to hear each other's voice everyday. We also like to hear how each other's day was and share our day with them. If I'm casually dating someone - I don't need that. But even now, if my husband and I are apart, we make time to talk every day at least once.

I know where my husband is pretty much every second of the day. I don't bother him when he's busy. And if he happens to be busy when I do call or text - I know that he'll get back to me when he can. That's how it was when we were dating, too.
I really don't like the idea of someone needing or even wanting to know where I am every second of the day. Darn sure I don't know where my BF is all the time. I don't need to know, and neither does he. We do talk every day, but if I don't talk to him until I leave work, that's fine.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I really don't like the idea of someone needing or even wanting to know where I am every second of the day. Darn sure I don't know where my BF is all the time. I don't need to know, and neither does he. We do talk every day, but if I don't talk to him until I leave work, that's fine.
That's fine for you. But you seem to have made an inaccurate assumption about why I know where my husband is every second of the day. It's very simple. My husband pretty much goes to work and then comes home. If he does something out of the ordinary - like getting gas on the way home from work or taking a later train because he missed his train - he lets me know so that I don't worry. If he always comes home at 11:15pm because his train gets into the station at 11:05 and then he comes home - it's just common courtesy to let me know if he's going to come home closer to midnight because he has to get gas or because he missed his train. Otherwise, I'd worry that he was in an accident. I don't demand that he tell me where he is all the time - but he's my husband, we live together, we are raising children together, I can't imagine him having to go in hours early for work one day and just leaving with out telling me where he's going.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My son didn't get one until he was 16, so hell you were ahead of him. And he is 22 also, by the way.
No you misunderstood me. My buddy got a cell phone when we were 15 and we all thought he was so cool. My mother forced me to get one when I was at college upstate so I went to target and bought a cheap prepaid and 100 mins and I haven't used them all yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships