Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:35 PM

48 posts, read 55,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
There's a world of difference between texting while driving and simply being able to get a hold of someone during the day. For instance, say you have plans with someone after work. And something comes up. But you can't tell them because they don't carry a cell phone with them. Or say you are having a bad day or there is a crisis - but you can't talk to your SO until they get home - and you don't know when that is going to be. I'm simply saying that we are used to things being very convenient. So dating someone that you have no way of getting a hold of is doing to be difficult for a lot of people. Just like someone that doesn't have a car in a driving town is going to be more of a hassle than someone with a car.
Crisis scenarios are not what the OP was talking about. Obviously there is an age difference between us as my generation (and prior) survived just fine. How did prior generations date & get married before phones replaced umbilical cords?
Anyone so attention-starved and impatient as what the OP described needs to flock with other attention-starved impatient people, IMO, instead of insulting the OP with such nonsense (as described by the OP).
It IS a red flag, when somebody acts like that. And this instant gratification/attention thing IS an issue out in public, and in the workplace, sadly.

Last edited by Umpire1955; 03-07-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire1955 View Post
Crisis scenarios are not what the OP was talking about. Obviously there is an age difference between us as my generation (and prior) survived just fine. Anyone so attention-starved and impatient as what the OP described needs to flock with other attention-starved impatient people, IMO, instead of insulting the OP with such nonsense (as described by the OP).
It IS a red flag, when somebody acts like that.
Well, of course it should be a red flag for the OP. He's going to be incompatible with anyone that wants to communicate with him when he's not at home.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:47 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's copper til it leaves your house, then it can become a combo of wireless, satellite and or fiber.... LOL... the point is is that landlines aren't really all that much more reliable than mobiles... probably a little more... but if a ****storm happens it won't make much of a differences... LOL...

The system gets bogged down in an emergency... but I don't want to split hairs... LOL....
Well we don't get many ****storms here thank goodness. Just regular ones. Effin' iPhone died last night out of the friggin' blue - with a fully charged battery. Took me over an hour to get the damn thing to come back on. I've never lost my landline service in all the years I've had a phone. Maybe I am just in a good area.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:50 PM

48 posts, read 55,682 times
Quote:
Well, of course it should be a red flag for the OP. He's going to be incompatible with anyone that wants to communicate with him when he's not at home.
Their loss, IMO.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire1955 View Post
Their loss, IMO.
I'd prefer someone in the middle. I like that I can get a hold of my husband most of the time. I also like that when we eat together or when we spend time together, we put our phones away. It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:55 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
I really think it's more of a red flag about the gals - way way WAY too needy.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well we don't get many ****storms here thank goodness. Just regular ones. Effin' iPhone died last night out of the friggin' blue - with a fully charged battery. Took me over an hour to get the damn thing to come back on. I've never lost my landline service in all the years I've had a phone. Maybe I am just in a good area.
You're in a good area! We aren't in a good area!

Old 03-07-2015, 03:58 PM

140 posts, read 267,251 times
Sorry for not replying was working

Here is my thing. Cell phones are a new invention, anyone I will be dating (anyone legal) was alive in a time when cell phones were an anomaly. I don't feel the need to be in constant contact with someone. If I make plans I show up. If God forbid I'm in an accident or something and I can't make it..I'm lucky to live in NYC where there are still pay phones everywhere.

IM NOT A USED CAR SALESMAN. I Sell new cars. Why would I need a cell phone for that? I can't think of one job that you actually need a phone for. There is a phone in the office. If you need a phone for the job how was it done in 1997? Insanity

As for AOL that's the account I got when I got my first computer and I saw no reason to change kt. Social networking puts too much info out there. I don't want pix of me online. Why do women always need a man to be s available? Cell phones are a new invention why all of a sudden are they necessary? Relationships can be handled just fine without them because if they didn't none of us would be alive because at one point out parents dated without a cell phone.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I really think it's more of a red flag about the gals - way way WAY too needy.
It's hard for me to make a judgement about it because in this day and age - someone like the OP is so rare that it wouldn't be an easy adjustment for a lot of people to make. And we only have his side of how the conversations go. I just remember dating my ex and how difficult things were because he didn't have a cell phone and I couldn't call him at home after 10pm. If he had had a cell phone - we wouldn't have fought nearly as much. But that's also because he didn't have any respect for other people's time. Every situation is different.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 PM

140 posts, read 267,251 times
Quote:
It's hard for me to make a judgement about it because in this day and age - someone like the OP is so rare that it wouldn't be an easy adjustment for a lot of people to make. And we only have his side of how the conversations go. I just remember dating my ex and how difficult things were because he didn't have a cell phone and I couldn't call him at home after 10pm. If he had had a cell phone - we wouldn't have fought nearly as much. But that's also because he didn't have any respect for other people's time. Every situation is different.
I always try to be respectful of people. I'm a nice guy family oriented looking for something serious and wanna get married and have kids and stuff. I don't see why it's such a big deal I don't see the point on being able to talk when I'm at the store or driving. If we make plans i call before I leave. The fact that you said "OP is so rare" depresses the hell out of me. Is valuing normal communication and not needing constant connections that rare. Maybe I need to move to a 3rd world country where they are happy just to have electric and won't get so bent over stupid stuff like this LOL jk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships