Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Tons of people have AOL accounts, and use it for their email as well. They aren't dead you know. AOL owns Huffington Post and Mapquest...among many many others.

AOL - News, Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Local & Lifestyle
I'd venture to guess that anyone in the 21st century with an AOL account is over 40. 20-somethings are almost exclusively Gmail.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email_address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 AM

52,362 posts, read 52,828,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
My dad's 70 and when he first started iPhoneing it up, he downloaded a bunch of non free apps and his bill was large. Dont make this mistake!
My dad is 74 and he's the most un-tech savvy person I have ever seen in my whole life... this guy can't operate a ****ing can opener... let alone figure out how to text.

I'm surprised he can dress himself at times.......

Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'd venture to guess that anyone in the 21st century with an AOL account is over 40. 20-somethings are almost exclusively Gmail.
True tech savvy 20s somethings would avoid Gmail cause of the Google / Chinese government censorship stuff... LOL......

Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,206,988 times
Quote:
Not necessarily…

But I would guess that they are at least in their 30's and just never wanted to change their email address…

Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,118,343 times
I admit I'm addicted to my phone and I hate that. Ever since I got my smartphone, any question I have that randomly pops in my head can be answered in 5 seconds by googling it, I hate it. I've turned into a person who is an encyclopedia of knowledge but for what purpose? It doesn't really serve me except to help me be more interesting in conversations.

When I started college in 1992 I had a beeper. Anyone remember those? I didn't have a cell phone until about 1998 probably and a smartphone until about 6 years ago. Now that I have this stupid thing, I can't go more than a few minutes without looking at it. If the internet ever ceased to exist, I literally would lose it. And I HATE that. It makes me crazy to know that I'm worse than a heroin addict with this stupid phone and technology.

That being said, I applaud anyone in their 20s who shuns the need to be connected 24/7. Anyone who doesn't perpetuate the instant gratification addiction that so many others have fallen victim to, including myself, is ok in my book. My advice is keep doing whatever you're doing because you're one of the lucky ones who is successfully living life off the grid. I wish I could go back and change things so that I wasn't so hopelessly chained to this crap all the time. I give kudos for anyone who can successfully stay away from developing an addiction to their phone.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:18 AM

372 posts, read 741,798 times
A 22 year old without a smart phone is weird. You gotta either stop being weird and get a smart phone or you gotta not care about being weird, and it's obvious that you do care and are uncomfortable with it.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 AM

37,713 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:

What your email address says about your computer skills - The Oatmeal
That article is a bit silly. I have a Yahoo account and I work in technology. I could take your computer apart and put it back together again. My son is 22 - he has a yahoo account. Hell I have a Yahoo, a hotmail, AND a gmail account. And that is in addition to my work email. Disabled my AOL many many years ago.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
A 22 year old without a smart phone is weird. You gotta either stop being weird and get a smart phone or you gotta not care about being weird, and it's obvious that you do care and are uncomfortable with it.
I think I just pulled an eye ball muscle........

Old 03-07-2015, 09:26 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,281,338 times
Okay, but seriously, we are just talking about a cell phone here. Unlimited talk/text/data plans start around $40/mo. If the OP is a car salesman then he probably needs a cell phone anyway just for work alone, so what's the big deal?

Old 03-07-2015, 09:48 AM

11,817 posts, read 12,066,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
OMG! At 68? Really???

Yes really. My mother, who knew nothing of technology learned to use a cell phone. And now that she's dying of brain cancer, asked the other day if she'd gotten it from using a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships