Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvernightDelivery View Post
In the USA I eventually came to understand "how are you" as an extension of "Hi". There is no expectation for an answer. It's really annoying and stupid.
I will always answer truthfully and ask how you are doing. It's not a waste of time at all.

-"how are you?"
-"I'm okay, just super busy. how are you?"

Then you actually say how you are doing. If you are good, then say good. If not, answer accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:54 AM

508 posts, read 889,784 times
My regret in this situation is that I lost a friend. Otherwise, my conscience is well over 90.00% clear on this one.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I hate the 'how are you' question, especially when total strangers take it as an invitation to unload their tales of woe and misery.

Frankly I find it an odd thing to say to someone you are engaged to, since it is generally used with people as a casual, rhetorical greeting.
I agree that it's an insincere salutation, along with 'have a nice day', 'great seeing you', or 'let's do lunch sometime', which I will assume you did not use on your fiancee?

Reminds me of an ex who thanked me for a 'delicious dinner' every day, no matter if it was takeout, something from the microwave, or something I spent hours preparing. Said not out of any genuine appreciation or recognition of my effort, but because he was taught that it was the polite thing to do. I found it very annoying.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 PM

You raise some good points I hadn't thought of previously. So how should someone in a committed relationship ask how the other is doing?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, you dodged a bullet.
Yep; what you meet was someone who makes too much about nothing. Pretty common now days.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Sir, I think you may be completely right. 'twas all much ado about nada. Probably, just a summer fling. She dislikes how I described it as such and she dislikes me saying she dumped me. "We broke up." What does that mean? What's the difference?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
You raise some good points I hadn't thought of previously. So how should someone in a committed relationship ask how the other is doing?
You ask them how they are, and if they freak out, you recognize it as the red flag it is.

I understand the point of view that "how are you" is sometimes a meaningless question FOR STRANGERS, but since you really care, there was no reason for her to react like that.

I think you are making too much of this over someone who sounds like she has some screws loose.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 PM

CarbonCountyLiving, I'm really starting to believe that you are right. I'm making too much of this. Sorry. You know, I tried explaining to her that she should have known my intention were positive and there was no hidden agenda in asking her "how are you?" She conceded that I was right. But I did start to refrain from asking her.

Screw loose: yes I think so, I even told her that once during an argument. She got all silent. I think she is the type of person that deep down inside is at times introspective and self-aware. She doesn't believe in seeking a therapist "because that is what friends are for." I tend to agree with that statement. She seems quite content in her echo chamber of internet friends. Another area of contention between us is how I was not as respectful of Islam as she is, but she admitted that "I'm not a bigot." Which I am not by any means. Her other fascination beyond Islam, is Conversion to Judaism, and Feminism. She is also a polyglot. You would think having listened to Rush Limbaugh for the last 20 years would have taught me something! : )

Things she found annoying about me: my American accent, my sunny disposition, uhhh I forgot the rest of the list, but they were mainly superficial things. She also found me not religious enough. It's hard to compete against a Convert, they tend to be more religious than folks born into a religion. Look I don't want to besmirch my ex - it takes two to tango. There are some things I dislike about her too. I wasn't always an angel. Generally, I was extremely patient with her and she praised me for it. A few times regrettably my patience waned.

Last edited by HarryRSpooner; 03-26-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 PM

The best solution at this point is to remember the positive aspects of the relationship and to not enter a relationship which mirrored this past one. I do think I'll stick with being courtesy and polite even if I end up spending a few more weekends alone.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:15 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
I used to hate that question because the answers would always be the same, so why bother asking? If you're not "good", you're "excellent", "fine", "great," and if you're the opposite or honest, people don't want to hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships