Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:10 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,922 times

Advertisements

I don't "date". Dating is as I understand it: "Getting to know someone with the intention of forming a current or future romantic relationship with them." I think dating is unrealistic.

I'm open to possibilities and I love fantasizing, but what ever happens, happens, and what ever doesn't happen, doesn't happen.

I think its' far more realistic to be friends with someone for years and then have that friendship naturally progress into being lovers. In a way, to me, being lovers is sort of the "evolved" form of a friendship. You're still friends and you still do all the things you did before as friends, but now it's more...

A lot of people seem to believe that being "alone" is one of the worst states you can be in, but I think being with someone, having unrealistic expectations of them, and then being disappointed when they don't meet these unrealistic expectations is one of the worst states to be in.

As someone who has suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Order-like mental anguish, I've had a lot of experience with my own mind. From this I've learned that a lot of my stress can be caused by my creating expectations for nearly every thing and I do have control of this. It is difficult to not do this often how ever as creating expectations to worry about seems to be almost automatic for me.

This is why I don't date. This is what I believe about Friendship and Love.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:14 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I don't "date". Dating is as I understand it: "Getting to know someone with the intention of forming a current or future romantic relationship with them." I think dating is unrealistic.

I'm open to possibilities and I love fantasizing, but what ever happens, happens, and what ever doesn't happen, doesn't happen.

I think its' far more realistic to be friends with someone for years and then have that friendship naturally progress into being lovers. In a way, to me, being lovers is sort of the "evolved" form of a friendship. You're still friends and you still do all the things you did before as friends, but now it's more...

A lot of people seem to believe that being "alone" is one of the worst states you can be in, but I think being with someone, having unrealistic expectations of them, and then being disappointed when they don't meet these unrealistic expectations is one of the worst states to be in.

As someone who has suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Order-like mental anguish, I've had a lot of experience with my own mind. From this I've learned that a lot of my stress can be caused by my creating expectations for nearly every thing and I do have control of this. It is difficult to not do this often how ever as creating expectations to worry about seems to be almost automatic for me.

This is why I don't date. This is what I believe about Friendship and Love.

What are your thoughts?
It is not realistic at all

Old 04-15-2015, 05:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
It is NOT a natural progression that friendship will eventually turn into romance. You're going to waste a lot of your life this way.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
I actually prefer the frienship approach too.

If you really look at dating that's all it really is. Some people have fun doing it that....personally I don't have any interest in that. I want to like and know the person before I date them. Romance isn't high on the priority list and probably never will be. So if I were to get in one...I would prefer the friendship approach.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:28 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
I keep my friends as friends and lovers as lovers; I dont like intertwining the two..makes life less complicated.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:30 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I actually prefer the frienship approach too.

If you really look at dating that's all it really is. Some people have fun doing it that....personally I don't have any interest in that. I want to like and know the person before I date them. Romance isn't high on the priority list and probably never will be. So if I were to get in one...I would prefer the friendship approach.
Tell that nice guys who got upset when the girls started dating someone else

Old 04-15-2015, 05:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Do whatever approach you want. It would never work for me. If I'm friends with someone, they're going to stay friends. The end. Romance comes from that initial spark and sexual chemistry.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
I agree with you completely. Do people really not expect to be friends with their long-term SO or spouse? Is romantic love all you expect? No wonder there are so many divorces.

True friendship can turn into more because there is a close bond. It's different than this "friendzone" thing people whine about these days.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
My wife and I had an unconventional relationship that started out as very close friends and eventually blossomed into a courtship and eventually marriage. We did everything together.. even sharing an apartment together. That was more than 20 years ago and we've been married 14.

IMO, No its not realistic to seek out this path and avoid traditional dating. For us, it just happened that way. It did eventually place us in a weird situation in which we were neither here or there. Neither could move on to actually date another without worrying about hurting the feelings or jeopardizing the "friendship" nor make progress towards commitment. It could have ended in a whole lot of hurt. Fortunately for us, it worked out and our solid friendship (before husband/wife) has been our foundation through some really tough times.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I agree with you completely. Do people really not expect to be friends with their long-term SO or spouse? Is romantic love all you expect? No wonder there are so many divorces.

Of course I do. And most people do. But that friendship develops over time. The initial spark and chemistry starts the relationship, and the friendship develops.

I'm friends with the vast majority of my exes. Good friends with many. One for 25 years now and several for 10 plus. But we were not friends before we started dating. That would never have worked. I have to want someone physically for a romantic relationship to happen, and either that is there for the beginning, or it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships