Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times

Advertisements

Yes but that was a long time ago (a quarter century to be exact and now I'm off on my half century crisis).

I started college at 25 because I realized I needed to do something more. The next 20 years were great. Now I'm struggling with being almost 50 and displaced from the career I chose back then (sadly, no one wants to hire you after you're about 45 unless you're just steller. I'm good but not the star.)

Good luck finding yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
why do you all think i applied to grad school?
if i don't get in, my little crisis is going to get worse.
I applaud you.

What type of program/curriculum?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,998 times
its just called growing up. its maturity. its life happening. thats all it is.

none of this fits into neat little categories of quarter life, mid life, etc etc.

its just life happening.

at 40 if i decide to change careers, will that be an "almost-mid life" crisis? what if i tried at 60? post midlife crisis? and if i, like many octogenarians, decided to go bunjee jumping, would that be a "preparing for death" crisis?

forget these stupid terms and deal with the lemons life gives you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Anyone else going through the quarter-life crisis? For those unfamiliar with the term, it's when young people in their mid to late 20's have a "mid-life crisis" when they question everything and possible make major changes, such as changing careers, relocating, realizing their friendships aren't working and making new ones, etc.

For those of you who have gone through this, what was it like for you? How did you deal with it?

I'm definitely going through this now.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I'm pretty sure there's a forum for the "QLC."

Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,389 times
Quote:
Anyone else going through the quarter-life crisis? For those unfamiliar with the term, it's when young people in their mid to late 20's have a "mid-life crisis" when they question everything and possible make major changes, such as changing careers, relocating, realizing their friendships aren't working and making new ones, etc.

For those of you who have gone through this, what was it like for you? How did you deal with it?

Like you, it is depressing.

How do I deal with it?

First, break down the "frustrations" into the WHY's (why am I not happy with job, followed by what I want in a job to make it to a career).

Second, break down the "big picture goal" into smaller goals, ie tasks. For example, let's say you want to be a manager for a large ____ company. Then do this:

- Research on what those existing managers have done in order to get to where they are now.

- Research on what they like or dislike about their day to day basis.

Then, get more training in order to get there.

Should you feel "impatient" on reaching your big picture goal, join support groups, or associations within the industry that the company belongs to, and make a name for yourself.

SHINE ON, and don't get discouraged!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
My mother explained this to me. She would say things like, "Happy? You expect to be happy? You have too much free time on your hands". My father enjoyed simple pleasures and rarely complained.

They married, bought a house, raised four children and went on vacation once in a while. It was no bed of roses and they certainly experienced all of the negative emotions. They just figured that unpleasantness, unhappiness, was a part of life and that you just keep bumping along; things would get better.

My Mom's father was an abusive alcoholic and she was a teenager in WWII England.

My Father was a child of the depression. His Dad passed away in 1929 leaving Nana with four small children.

Neither of them had time for a life crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its just called growing up. its maturity. its life happening. thats all it is.

none of this fits into neat little categories of quarter life, mid life, etc etc.

its just life happening.

at 40 if i decide to change careers, will that be an "almost-mid life" crisis? what if i tried at 60? post midlife crisis? and if i, like many octogenarians, decided to go bunjee jumping, would that be a "preparing for death" crisis?

forget these stupid terms and deal with the lemons life gives you.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
Why is that called a "crisis" that sounds like LIFE to me.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 PM

200 posts, read 632,746 times
I'm 22 and while I love my city I think I would really regret not moving somewhere while I'm young and single . So I've been stressing on getting out of here by the end of this year a little to much, it's all I think about.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
I think it would be callous to say my 20's were wasted, but I wish what I knew now I knew at 18. I knew in general what I wanted but it took me a while to figure out how to get there. My college years were empty for the most part with school and work. I never really did much outside of that, no adventures really. When I hit 25 I got a great job in a ski resort, which after a year paid decent and I had plenty of off time in the off season. It was also a good adventure. I see it as my master degree in life because I learned about people as I had to interact with so many on daily basis and also I had a huge amount of responsibility on my shoulder. I was in a lot of very tough situations. So it made a man out of me and toughened me up a bit.

However after a few years I realized the job was kind of a dead end. I was one of the top earners but there was nowhere really to go with it. It's was cool living in a ski town, but not so cool living with roommates and cost of living. So I finally decided to pursue my dream. Some of the skills I had picked up from that job I was able to spin into my new career and away I went. 2006 was a hard year of change. 2007 I really did well. 2008 I thought was flat. Although I added a lot of cool stuff to the resume and added different experiences that will help me, it all kind of bogged down. The economic hit in September leveled me for the rest of the year.

So life I think is like surfing in the ocean. You have a little control but mostly you are at the whim of the massive ocean and it's energy and you just have to ride the waves. If you fight it, you die or get injured or pummeled.

I've seen now life has peaks and troughs. Enjoy the good times, prepare for the bad times and ride the bad times out, because things will get better.

Don't waste your time worrying about stupid little things or stuff 10 bridges down the road. Do what you have to do, but enjoy your life. Don't live in fear and panic.

They say youth is wasted on the young. If you are in your 20's live it and enjoy it. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I should have so now I'm making up for it tenfold in my 30's.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
You create your happiness. Don't let mom, dad, supervisor, or some therapist squash that concept for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother explained this to me. She would say things like, "Happy? You expect to be happy? You have too much free time on your hands". My father enjoyed simple pleasures and rarely complained.

They married, bought a house, raised four children and went on vacation once in a while. It was no bed of roses and they certainly experienced all of the negative emotions. They just figured that unpleasantness, unhappiness, was a part of life and that you just keep bumping along; things would get better.

My Mom's father was an abusive alcoholic and she was a teenager in WWII England.

My Father was a child of the depression. His Dad passed away in 1929 leaving Nana with four small children.

Neither of them had time for a life crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships