Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In other words, you didn't realize the context of my answer to another poster, not the OP. It was in response to a statement about locales where wearing jeans - no holes - was common. "I guess some areas are more casual than others, because my husband does a couple of funerals per month and a decent number of people are in jeans. Not ratty old Levis, but jeans nonetheless." And someone else - the person to whom I responded - insisted that "Just because people do it, and even if it is the norm in some areas, that doesn't make it right, IMO."

So it sounds as if I have a much better grasp on reading comprehension than you do. In the future, try to understand this concept - not every post in a thread is about the first post in the thread.
That's weak cheese and you know it. We are addressing the issue of the OP, who was pretty explicit about her husband dressing in a shirt with holes in it. You came up with some wooly-headed statement about capricious societal expectations, and I called you on it with a quote from the OP. And, like Timberline, I've traveled a good bit and been with people from all kinds of walks of life. In 99% of the world, save those small self-important circles of people who think that personal comfort is at all times the highest good, dressing like that for a funeral is an absolute sign of respect. That is a consistent cultural norm wherever you go.

A person who cannot be bothered to wear even a decent shirt to a funeral is a slob. He is so wrapped up in himself that he cannot accord the family of the deceased proper respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In 99% of the world, save those small self-important circles of people who think that personal comfort is at all times the highest good, dressing like that for a funeral is an absolute sign of respect. That is a consistent cultural norm wherever you go.

A person who cannot be bothered to wear even a decent shirt to a funeral is a slob. He is so wrapped up in himself that he cannot accord the family of the deceased proper respect.
^^^^ this

Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,054,579 times
Quote:
That's weak cheese and you know it. We are addressing the issue of the OP, who was pretty explicit about her husband dressing in a shirt with holes in it. You came up with some wooly-headed statement about capricious societal expectations, and I called you on it with a quote from the OP. And, like Timberline, I've traveled a good bit and been with people from all kinds of walks of life. In 99% of the world, save those small self-important circles of people who think that personal comfort is at all times the highest good, dressing like that for a funeral is an absolute sign of respect. That is a consistent cultural norm wherever you go.

Yeah, I don't care if I'm in SF/Chicago, or Madisonville, Kentucky, or middle of no where cornfields and pigs Iowa, that person is a bore, at best, and probably a slob.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,598,716 times
Based on this post as well as others regarding your husband, have you considered leaving him? He has been portrayed as an alcoholic who is childish, clueless, and not about to budge for you or anybody else. He makes you cry and even your little dog feels sorry for you. This sounds like a situation that will only become worse for you.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,054,403 times
Quote:

I would also add that his slovenly appearance like that at a funeral is not only disrespectful to the event and those hosting it, but it is also disrespectful to his wife to appear at such an event in that state of attire. How embarrassing for her to have to go to a wake with someone who cannot find the effort to put on a decent shirt.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 AM

229 posts, read 245,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

same with pajamas in public
Same with sweat pants + socks + sandals + "wife beater" shirt

Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,365,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
If he has to wear anything but jeans or shorts he has a temper tantrum and is in a bad mood for the remainder of the day it night. Like we have to go to a wake and I asked him to just at least wear khaki pants instead of jeans and he is giving me trouble tells me it doesn't matter what he wears. Shouldn't you at least not wear jeans to a wake? I've seen people in suit and ties.
I guess jeans and T shirt is his style, but it does not hurt to dress up at least once in a while. On the real, though, it shouldn't matter all that much what people wear, but then again it does.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think it is inappropriate to wear jeans to a wake, and I don't understand why people don't like to dress decently.

But if you got married to this guy, you had to know this when you married him. You got what you signed up for.

I would disagree with this. Every man should have at least one good suit. At least. And wakes ARE FOR the living. That's the entire point of them.
I don't consider myself a suit and tie guy and I'm looking into buying at least one suit for myself. I definitely am looking at a three piece.

Again, I have a different style, but I'd feel pretty okay in a suit.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,930,096 times
are you his mom or his wife...what do you care what HE wears
He will look ridiculous at a wake in jeans, but you will be dressed up...its HIS problem
If his bad fashion is a reflection on you, then its THEIR problem, not yours...

Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
are you his mom or his wife...what do you care what HE wears
He will look ridiculous at a wake in jeans, but you will be dressed up...its HIS problem
If his bad fashion is a reflection on you, then its THEIR problem, not yours...
A lot of wives become their husbands mothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships