Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That is a load of poo, clothing does not make the man or woman and it has nothing to do with being disrespectful or not caring enough.

Too many people are too uptight about clothing and what it is alleged to represent and it's all a bunch of hogwash.
Those who do not have to put on airs to impress others have more respect than many others ever had for those involved in the event.

How do you know Aunt Minnie stated she did not want anyone to dress up or "fuss" over her?
You don't.
Actually, as I was very clear in my post that you yourself quote, it does not mean being dressed to the nines. Congratulations. You are the predictable person who twisted my words around. Jeez, I wish people would actually read for a change.

What it does mean is that you respect the occasion. And if you don't think the clothing you wear does not carry significance, then you are living in a dream world.

In fact, here's the litmus test. Did you just slouch into your last job interview or business meeting wearing whatever you put on to garden? If not, you already acknowledge this truth in one form or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,662,712 times
I'll admit I don't like dressing up and don't even own a suit but I think it is very disrespectful to show up at a wake or funeral in shorts. I've seen it done many times but it's classless. Like the OP said, just put on some comfortable khakis and a decent shirt. How hard is that?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I'll admit I don't like dressing up and don't even own a suit but I think it is very disrespectful to show up at a wake or funeral in shorts. I've seen it done many times but it's classless. Like the OP said, just put on some comfortable khakis and a decent shirt. How hard is that?
Very hard apparently. Much harder as chugging a bottle of whiskey.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
It's not.

I mean, hell. From the first of April to the end of October, I'm in shorts and sandals whenever humanly possible. At the moment, I'm banging away on a client assignment with my feet propped up on the deck with the cat snoozing beside me on the glider. It's how I roll.

Yessirreeeee, I'm Mr. Casual.

But when I go to see a client, I put on what MrsCPG calls "Go Get Me Some Money" clothes. When I go to a wedding or a funeral, I put on a suit. If I go to church, I put on a sports jacket and, more often than not, a tie. If we go to a dinner party, I honor the hosts by wearing appropriate clothing as well. If I see a client on a construction site or a plant floor, I'll put on jeans and boots, but still wear a smart casual jacket and tie.

Why? Because it's not about me. It's about the reason for going. Personally, I think we've lost something with this "I'll wear whatever I want because who really cares" palaver. People who think that are fools because people do care. Not because they're critiquing the labels you're wearing, but rather because clothing is very much a visual clue to what you think about what's going on, and how important you think it is. So if you cannot bother to even wriggle into a pair of khakis and a long-sleeve shirt, it basically tells the other person that the occasion just isn't that important to you.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:00 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,116,024 times
I see this a lot in the Southwest. I'm a Michigan guy that grew up wearing a tie to church, wore slacks and a sweater for Christmas, and wear a T-shirt underneath my golf shirt.

Here in AZ, it's amazing how many shorts & sandals I see at church. Holy cow, I went to my Grandmother in law's funeral last year.......and out of hundreds of people there.......I was one of six that wore a suit.

And this has nothing to do with desert temperatures, as the funeral was in January.

C'mon guys. Polish those shoes, tie a nice Windsor knot and wear clean underwear.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,473,569 times
It's taking them out of their comfort zone.
Of course they don't want to.

Not many men want to go to church, wakes or weddings either...

The answer to the issue is in the behavior.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I see this a lot in the Southwest. I'm a Michigan guy that grew up wearing a tie to church, wore slacks and a sweater for Christmas, and wear a T-shirt underneath my golf shirt.

Here in AZ, it's amazing how many shorts & sandals I see at church. Holy cow, I went to my Grandmother in law's funeral last year.......and out of hundreds of people there.......I was one of six that wore a suit.

And this has nothing to do with desert temperatures, as the funeral was in January.

C'mon guys. Polish those shoes, tie a nice Windsor knot and wear clean underwear.
You kind of wonder how many of these sad sacks on this forum who complain about women not paying attention to them fall into that category. They never bother to look at how they dress. Dropping a few hundred bucks at a Joseph A. Banks during one of their sales will improve your curb appeal immeasurably. Hell, a Target. Just flip through a GQ or an Esquire. You don't want to be that over-the-top, but you don't want to be able to blend in with the crowd at an actuarials convention, either.

Here's the thing. Before that woman can plumb your soul, before she can converse with you for hours, before she can decide to live a life with you, bear your children, and scorch the sheets with you, she has to like what she sees across the room. And the clothes you wear not only tell the world what you think about it, but what you think about yourself. The few women who deny that are liars.

It doesn't make you a conformist, far from it. In fact, I would offer that the conformists today are the ones who schlump about in jeans and a t-shirt. The funniest thing of all? Jeans are about the least comfortable summertime pants you can wear. A good pair of khakis or linen pants look a lot sharper and feel a lot better when the temperatures are north of 90 degrees.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,116,024 times
My lady & I went to a casual place for dinner last Sunday.......I noticed that she was wearing a 'lil bit of bling and some sexy shoes.

That was my cue to leave the cut off jeans in the drawer along with my sneakers and BBQ stained college T-shirt.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,252,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You kind of wonder how many of these sad sacks on this forum who complain about women not paying attention to them fall into that category. They never bother to look at how they dress. Dropping a few hundred bucks at a Joseph A. Banks during one of their sales will improve your curb appeal immeasurably. Hell, a Target. Just flip through a GQ or an Esquire. You don't want to be that over-the-top, but you don't want to be able to blend in with the crowd at an actuarials convention, either.

Here's the thing. Before that woman can plumb your soul, before she can converse with you for hours, before she can decide to live a life with you, bear your children, and scorch the sheets with you, she has to like what she sees across the room. And the clothes you wear not only tell the world what you think about it, but what you think about yourself. The few women who deny that are liars.

It doesn't make you a conformist, far from it. In fact, I would offer that the conformists today are the ones who schlump about in jeans and a t-shirt. The funniest thing of all? Jeans are about the least comfortable summertime pants you can wear. A good pair of khakis or linen pants look a lot sharper and feel a lot better when the temperatures are north of 90 degrees.
Not sure why you're very insisting that everyone should dress up in a suit tie spit shines. Good for you if you like dressing up like Prince /formally known/. You know people exercise the right of choice.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
Not sure why you're very insisting that everyone should dress up in a suit tie spit shines. Good for you if you like dressing up like Prince /formally known/. You know people exercise the right of choice.
Actually, you didn't read my post previously to that. Because that's what I'm NOT saying. What I'm saying is that you dress for the occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships