Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 PM

718 posts, read 616,848 times

Advertisements

I recently met a guy in one of lecture classes.

He's really cool and, so far, we've been getting along great. We've only been on three dates. But things looked promising. That is, until he made a offhanded comment about his ex.

The first time it happened, we were joking around and I was laughing hysterically about something he'd said, when all of a sudden...

"You look exactly like my ex!"

That was on our first date. I brushed it off and said something along the lines of, "Yeah? She must've looked great."

It didn't really bug me. I just thought it was a weird thing to say, especially since it was our first date. I feel like ex-flames and old lovers are a big no-no on first dates. But I didn't let it become an issue.

Anyways, the other night we hung out.

And he said something along those lines, yet again. This time, I laughed it off and didn't say anything. But it's beginning to bug me. It seems like every time we hang out, he makes a comment about how alike she and I are. He even offered to show me a picture of her. I took it as a joke and declined.

Am I being paranoid? Should I worry about these consistent comments about his ex? Should I say something? Do I tell him I find it weird, or do I ask him if theres' any lingering feelings for the ex, or what?

I do like him, but I'm beginning to get the impression that she might not be totally out of the picture. Perhaps, he still thinks about her? I don't really know what to say. It's awkward for me and big turn off.

Last edited by Ashleyga; 04-23-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Am I being paranoid? Should I worry about these consistent comments about his ex? Should I say something? Do I tell him I find it weird, or do I ask him if theres' any lingering feelings for the ex, or what?

I do like him, but I'm beginning to get the impression that she might not be totally out of the picture. Perhaps, he still thinks about her?
I think you need answers to these questions before you decide.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 PM

97 posts, read 80,785 times
He simply has a type. Pretty sure that's the reason why he asked you out? You know like how some guys are into big boobs or big butts. The guy has a face type. And it's the face that look like you and the ex. If I were you I would have looked at the pic. Coz if you really look alike then ya he liked a certain kind of face. Ya know what I'm saying?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think you need answers to these questions before you decide.
It's a really new thing, so I'm not sure if he's just making those comments because there is an uncanny likeliness or if he's simply still thinking about her.

I don't really know how to broach it because it is so new. I don't want to come across as jealous or obsessive.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layasera View Post
He simply has a type. Pretty sure that's the reason why he asked you out? You know like how some guys are into big boobs or big butts. The guy has a face type. And it's the face that look like you and the ex. If I were you I would have looked at the pic. Coz if you really look alike then ya he liked a certain kind of face. Ya know what I'm saying?
Yeah, but when he asked it was just weird, you know? I wouldn't show him pictures of my ex lol. I get having a type but it's just a little uncomfortable. Almost feels like he's doing a comparison.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,789 times
Is he on the rebound? How long has it been since they broke up?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,789 times
I wouldnt want to be compared to his ex every time I turn around. I dont think hes over her. Things about his ex being brought up, arent appropriate for first dates with someone new. An ex wouldnt even need to be mentioned, and still has her picture? Hes not past her.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Is he on the rebound? How long has it been since they broke up?
8 months, which is longer than I have been single.

But that's what I'm worried about lol. I don't want to get into any drama.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I wouldnt want to be compared to his ex every time I turn around. I dont think hes over her. Things about his ex being brought up, arent appropriate for first dates with someone new. An ex wouldnt even need to be mentioned, and still has her picture? Hes not past her.
Yeah. I'm not sure if it was a picture he had saved in his phone, or if he was going to show me her social media account, but either way -- it's weird.

I just don't want to judge him unfairly. But I feel like these are early signs for disaster.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,638,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Yeah. I'm not sure if it was a picture he had saved in his phone, or if he was going to show me her social media account, but either way -- it's weird.

I just don't want to judge him unfairly. But I feel like these are early signs for disaster.
I agree that his comments are a bit bothersome, but maybe he's just clueless. It could also be that he's not over her. There's a guy on C-D who mentions his ex a lot and every time he does, I'm thinking "You're talking about her again??" but maybe he's not aware how much he mentions her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships