Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:24 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times

Advertisements

OMG all this fighting over semantics.

STD and unwanted pregnancies.

Both should be avoided. I think that was the real point. sheesh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
And in many other ways it is less dangerous. Your point was...?

I made my point pretty clearly. Though I don't know how it could be less dangerous, except it isn't contagious, there is a higher chance of death and a higher chance of damage.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Actually - I think the point of the article is - go out and have safe sex so that you don't wind up with a baby! Which is what most people say anyway.
I thought the idea of having sex was...to make babies?

Or is that passe now?

(Just looking up a few posts, I guess it is...sigh.)

Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
OMG all this fighting over semantics.
The difference between sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy is a little more than a semantic one.

"Both are something I don't want" doesn't make them the same.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I made my point pretty clearly. Though I don't know how it could be less dangerous, except it isn't contagious, there is a higher chance of death and a higher chance of damage.
I disagree: your point seemed a bit of a non-starter actually. I presume you are ready to support your "higher chance" claims with some reputable data? And while you're at it, qualify if that "higher chance" applies to all STDs across the board or if in fact some are more dangerous than pregnancy. (Which would, of course, be counter to your non-starter point.)

Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

Very much so, it's way way way down the list of the reasons to have sex in reality, and has been for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I disagree: your point seemed a bit of a non-starter actually. I presume you are ready to support your "higher chance" claims with some reputable data? And while you're at it, qualify if that "higher chance" applies to all STDs across the board or if in fact some are more dangerous than pregnancy. (Which would, of course, be counter to your non-starter point.)

Look at WHO (or other organizations) death from STDs vs death in childbirth or pregnancy complications in women in the world (800 per day in the world according to the World Health Organization (that are preventable)), if you'd like that data. It's not very close.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The difference between sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy is a little more than a semantic one.

"Both are something I don't want" doesn't make them the same.
Ok.. let me rephrase.

OMG.. All this fighting over the insignificant just for the sake of arguing.

Both STDs and Unwanted pregnancies should be avoided.

Better?

Old 06-11-2015, 01:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

Or is that passe now?

(Just looking up a few posts, I guess it is...sigh.)
I have two babies. I've had sex way more than two times. At least 4 or 5 times.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Oh, Alfred. The functional purpose of sex is reproduction.

People have sex all the time for reasons other than its functional purpose, and why not?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Look at WHO (or other organizations) death from STDs vs death in childbirth or pregnancy complications in women in the world (800 per day in the world according to the World Health Organization (that are preventable)), if you'd like that data. It's not very close.
Okay, I get it. We're going to cherry pick stats so they support our argument. Specifically we are going to refer to WHO stats on deaths from STDs but deaths AND complications from pregnancies.

Not to mention you've still not supported your claim. Sure you can mentions stats but that's not the same thing as presenting reputable data. Consider your claim still unfounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships