Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I the Jerk or is my brother?
You are the jerk 2 6.06%
Your brother is the jerk 31 93.94%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 PM

154 posts, read 926,381 times

Advertisements

AM I THE JERK HERE?

Background:

My little brother, who is 25 this year is mad at me again. The reason this time is this:

He is moving 700 miles to Seattle with his girlfriend. They are hiring a moving company to move their 1 bedroom apartment (minus any TV, washer dryer, or fridge) the 700 miles. My brother calls me up and asks me if I can drive over to Seattle for him to wait for the movers to arrive, apparently if they do not specify a date that the stuff has to get there, they will save $300.

I live over 200 miles from Seattle. It would cost me roughly $100 in gas, I would have to drive over the cascade mountains and it is roughly a 3 hour drive 1 way when the weather is good, right now it is snowing. I said I would do it, I recently moved and it was expensive so I wanted to help out.

The next day he is just talking to me and he mentions that he bought a new cell phone and plan, the phone was the voyager which cost him $300. So Here is our conversation:

ME: what phone did u get
BROTHER: Voyager
ME: isnt that phone like $300
BROTHER: Yep
BROTHER: Plus I had to pay a deposit
ME: then why do you need me to drive to seattle to save $300
ME: no offense, but it was going to cost about $75-100 in gas and I thought it was cause you needed money
BROTHER: Not cause we needed money, because it's better to save it if you can..
BROTHER: I didn't know you were purely going by the numbers
ME: well i was doing it as a favor, it was also 6 hours of driving
ME: sorry but it seems kind of rude to ask somebody to do you a favor to save $300, that will cost them $100 and then go buy a phone. If that doesnt make sense to you i dont know what to say
ME: i dont want to fight with you, but think about it. That is kind of rude
BROTHER: Yeah, asking a favor from family, so very rude.
BROTHER: Sorry, didn't mean to possibly cost you money
BROTHER hangs up on me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Yep. Looks like it's time for you to unload this piece of work - even if he is your brother!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,094,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
AM I THE JERK HERE?

Background:

My little brother, who is 25 this year is mad at me again. The reason this time is this:

He is moving 700 miles to Seattle with his girlfriend. They are hiring a moving company to move their 1 bedroom apartment (minus any TV, washer dryer, or fridge) the 700 miles. My brother calls me up and asks me if I can drive over to Seattle for him to wait for the movers to arrive, apparently if they do not specify a date that the stuff has to get there, they will save $300.

I live over 200 miles from Seattle. It would cost me roughly $100 in gas, I would have to drive over the cascade mountains and it is roughly a 3 hour drive 1 way when the weather is good, right now it is snowing. I said I would do it, I recently moved and it was expensive so I wanted to help out.

The next day he is just talking to me and he mentions that he bought a new cell phone and plan, the phone was the voyager which cost him $300. So Here is our conversation:

ME: no offense, but it was going to cost about $75-100 in gas and I thought it was cause you needed money
ME: sorry but it seems kind of rude to ask somebody to do you a favor to save $300, that will cost them $100 and then go buy a phone. If that doesnt make sense to you i dont know what to say
BROTHER hangs up on me
LOL Yeah it's darn rude of your brother.....good grief! Let him meet his own furniture or pay the $300 bucks. He's got his priorities backwards.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
I'm taking your brother's side. You agreed to help him, and how he chooses to spend his money is not for you to judge. If you felt that the driving, gas money, and time you would be spending on helping him was too much, then you should not have agreed to do it. If you felt he is normally wasteful with his money, then you could have just not agreed to help.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,652,493 times
You are not the jerk. Your brother feels entitled and is acting selfish and has his priorities screwed up. I think he needs to work this out himself, especially after the way he spoke to you. He's acting like a child, getting angry because he doesn't get his way. Poor baby.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
AM I THE JERK HERE?

Background:

BROTHER hangs up on me
It isn't about who is a jerk and who is not or what he is spending his money on.

do you want to help? If the answer is yes, then....

then ask him to reimburse you the money for the gas...and if you have to stay anywhere. Tell him you don't mind helping, but communicate to h im, that you can't afford on your own. Period.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:46 PM

320 posts, read 954,960 times
i know it seems unfair, but i would help him out...none of you are jerks

Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,775 times
Your brother needs to grow up and if he feels adult enough to move to Seattle with his girlfriend then they should be adult enough to figure out how to do it without bothering anyone else about it. He'll get over it...just wait until he needs some money for something else later, he'll call you again...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,986,497 times
I'm not on anyone's side. It's just a good idea to follow through with what you say you will do in this instance.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:50 PM

154 posts, read 926,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I'm taking your brother's side. You agreed to help him, and how he chooses to spend his money is not for you to judge. If you felt that the driving, gas money, and time you would be spending on helping him was too much, then you should not have agreed to do it. If you felt he is normally wasteful with his money, then you could have just not agreed to help.
I am glad that you posted your point of view, it lets me see things from his side. I feel pretty upset with him because he acted as if he needed the money. He was saying that they had to sell their TV and their computer and DVD player to afford the move. I do not know if that would change your opinion, but I should have included in my original post that this was my reason for helping him--because he acted as if he needed the money and I knew moving was expensive.

Thanks for your post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships