Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,849 times

Advertisements

I'm probably going to get bashed for remaining in contact with an ex but we dated and lived together for a long time and grew apart nothing nasty just an understanding break up, but we still talk a little and occasionally hangout and I have hooked up with a couple other women since the breakup and she wants to know if I am but I tell her no because I know she still doesn't want to hook up with others and I know it would hurt her. Any constructive mature advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
I'm not sure what advice you're looking for to be honest. Are you asking if you should disclose that you've been with other women? If so, why on earth would you want to do that? It's none of her business unless you secretly want to hurt her.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
What positive purpose would possibly be served by disclosing this information? It's not even any of her business.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:03 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James86138 View Post
I'm probably going to get bashed for remaining in contact with an ex but we dated and lived together for a long time and grew apart nothing nasty just an understanding break up, but we still talk a little and occasionally hangout and I have hooked up with a couple other women since the breakup and she wants to know if I am but I tell her no because I know she still doesn't want to hook up with others and I know it would hurt her. Any constructive mature advice?
She probably is not REALLY an EX to you........

Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James86138 View Post
Sounds like you're still too intertwined.

You can't have it both ways, broken up but with a say in who you're with.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:14 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What positive purpose would possibly be served by disclosing this information? It's not even any of her business.
^^^

Yep

Old 06-02-2015, 03:06 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
You guys broke up. If it's going to bother her to find out you're seeing other people, then you guys should make a clean break and stop trying to be friends.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Did you break up or are you on a break? If you broke up, she is delusional if she thinks she should have a say over your dating life.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
I'm all for skirting these topics as much as possible, but I feel if someone asks you a direct question, you can either be real or be a liar. Very simple.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
If you are broken up, most of society recognizes and it is understood that you will go on with your life and she with hers. If I understand what you are saying, information that is painful to her about your current active life is going to be withheld by you so you can manage a relationship with her and with others in your life. It still sounds like she has a brand in the fire with your name on it, and you are waiting for the brand to be used.

I don't hold secrets from many friends about who I hang with or why. They will eventually meet up and there won't be any surprises. Why make this an exception? How long you want to carry on this charade? Walking on eggshells with an ex - this isn't even PC, it's about being invested with an ex, who is likely not over you and you are not over her. Isn't it enough that she can't have you but stays in contact with you? It seems kind of sadistic of you to extend that relationship to her, when it will never be the same, and very masochistic of her to maintain a relationship that is no longer in reach. I'm sure your interpersonal disagreements were just as difficult - how did you broach those problematic subjects? Painful much?

Yeah, rip the band-aid off this one. Over is over. If you are not getting on with things, you have not gotten over things.

Last edited by Kin Atoms; 06-04-2015 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships